Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: It Needed Four Exhaust Valves re-Shimming  (Read 282 times)

Offline TigerSteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Scorched Yellow
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
It Needed Four Exhaust Valves re-Shimming
« on: 21 February, 2020, 12:28:03 AM »
Guys,
More of a heads up thing really. Just had my 25K mile service at around 24.6K miles and 13 years in.  Four exhaust valves needed re shimming so I guess the message has to be not to skip this one. The guy did say there were clear signs of wear in there consistent with the mileage. That said I've never really thrashed the thing.

Its always been a bit noisy at the top end and does seem a bit quieter now. Maybe I bought a Monday morning machine and/or the first valve clearance check was just close enough.

So, don't skip your 25,000 mile service.
Scorched Yellow Tiger + Palmer Screen, SWMo Bars & Givi E55 box.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Re: It Needed Four Exhaust Valves re-Shimming
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2020, 12:59:14 AM »
Hello Steve,
Were they in spec at the 12k mile service?
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline TigerSteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Scorched Yellow
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
Re: It Needed Four Exhaust Valves re-Shimming
« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2020, 01:32:27 AM »
Gosling1
It had the 12K service and prior to this 25K service its always at the local Triumph Agent and I don't recall any work on the valves reported previously. Trouble is you never really know. If they're busy and its on the edge (or the wrong edge) of the spec it could just end up on the OK list for next time.

If anything it was getting over serviced. They would only do an MOT if there was a service included and given only a 1K miles a year it was getting too expensive.  It also turned out that my bike was getting vanned to where I now go for my annual MOT check. Seemed sensible to share the love and give the new guy the work. Also loaned him my manual just to be sure.

I also saved him the ten quid his card machine provider would have charged so he was even happier.

Ultimately, I'd rather they did the work and fixed what needed fixing. Its cheaper in the long run.
« Last Edit: 21 February, 2020, 01:34:21 AM by TigerSteve »
Scorched Yellow Tiger + Palmer Screen, SWMo Bars & Givi E55 box.