Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has anyone made a "mudflap" between rear wheel and suspension linkage?  (Read 226 times)

Offline Blackvisor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 (2010 model
  • City / Town: SE Scotland
I have a 2010 Tiger 1050.

It's winter here in Scotland, whilst ice is on the roads the bike is on my workshop bench as I do some servicing tasks.

One such task I'm doing is to strip the suspension linkage bolts, so I can wash and re-grease the needle roller bearings in the suspension linkage. It struck me that if there was some sort of barrier between the rear wheel and the suspension linkage, the corrosion and damage caused by road spray  thrown forward by the rearwheel would be much reduced.

I have my ideas for how to fabricate such a "mud flap", has anyone else done it? I'd be interested to hear how others have done it.

Second question: is there truth in the rumour I have heard that older Tiger 900s had grease nipples on the suspension linkages?

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Has anyone made a "mudflap" between rear wheel and suspension link
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2020, 09:15:27 AM »
I made aluminium mud flaps for my 955 & 1050 sprints to do that job, fixed to the swing arm through existing fastenings. My TS doesn't appear to suffer same so done nothing.

I had the old 900 sprint, don't recall grease nipples, I do recall all the suspension had nice clean grease when I stripped the swing arm out at 18k miles.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2020, 01:11:28 PM »
Saw yesterday in MCN that Pyramid Plastics are offering such a device for the 1200 Explorer.....  :084:
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R, 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes, and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2020, 03:59:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Blackvisor [+]
I have a 2010 Tiger 1050.

It's winter here in Scotland, whilst ice is on the roads the bike is on my workshop bench as I do some servicing tasks.

One such task I'm doing is to strip the suspension linkage bolts, so I can wash and re-grease the needle roller bearings in the suspension linkage. It struck me that if there was some sort of barrier between the rear wheel and the suspension linkage, the corrosion and damage caused by road spray  thrown forward by the rearwheel would be much reduced.

I have my ideas for how to fabricate such a "mud flap", has anyone else done it? I'd be interested to hear how others have done it.

Second question: is there truth in the rumour I have heard that older Tiger 900s had grease nipples on the suspension linkages?

Yep, the old steamers did originally have grease nipples on the linkage
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS