Author Topic: EBC rear brake pads  (Read 2163 times)

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
EBC rear brake pads
on: 05 February, 2020, 05:29:34 PM
I don't understand why EBC have made the brake pads different thickness, I could understand if they made the one on the pistons side (which wears quicker) the thicker one, but they've made the one on the sliding side the thicker one. See link below:

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/motorcycle/triumph-hinckley-produced-machines/tiger-sport-abs-1050cc/2013-2015/36038#

I went in garage to lube all the chains, the TS back wheel wouldn't budge, pulled on it, not a chance, now it shouldn't be stuck 'cos it wasn't when I cleaned & lubed the chain a day after cleaning the bike, it was free then I'd spent a good 30 mins on it, full of crud from a filthy ride that beat the Scottoiler.

So off the stand and shoved up the garage & back to free it, back on the stand, real stiff to turn, tried the brake, that made it stiffer. Off with the wheel, disc looked fine, calliper off, pads looked scored with a hairline crack in centre of both of them, calliper not too bad, I cleaned it 2k miles ago.

The thinner pad on the pistons side was worn down to 6.4mm & the sliding pad 8.2mm so both worn almost identical down 1.6mm & 1.5mm respectively from new sizes. Very little for the 10k miles they've done.

I gave the calliper a clean, both pistons moved freely push one in & the other popped out as they would when new. So apart from the pads looking a bit scored and the centre cracks in them, found nowt wrong, slung it all back together with a new set of oem pads & it's all sweet.

What's that all about then, I aint got a clue. See pics of pads, dunno if the cracks are really visible.

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Re: EBC rear brake pads
Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2020, 06:24:14 PM
Corrosion develops over time, cold damp air makes condensation form on bare metal too.

Pads with cracks in the material like that, yeah I would ditch right away too.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2020, 08:23:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
Corrosion develops over time, cold damp air makes condensation form on bare metal too.

Pads with cracks in the material like that, yeah I would ditch right away too.

Corrosion??? That's sumert Suzuki's get innit?

Online Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #3 on: 06 February, 2020, 10:38:57 AM
Just a guess, but I'd say something's overheated to cause cracking of the pad.
But I'd also think you'd notice something like a brake dragging...  :084:
Something else I've seen elsewhere is your brake pedal is set a bit high meaning your foot is resting on it?
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 06 February, 2020, 11:02:22 AM
*Originally Posted by Dusty ST [+]
Just a guess, but I'd say something's overheated to cause cracking of the pad.
But I'd also think you'd notice something like a brake dragging...  :084:
Something else I've seen elsewhere is your brake pedal is set a bit high meaning your foot is resting on it?

Dunno, no signs of overheating/blueing, I'm thinking possibly the filthy last ride I had with the amount of crud stuck to the chain, some could have got into the pads chewing them up a bit, doesn't really explain the cracks.
The rubbing marks on the pads look like something has been in there. All ok now but worrying when I can't see what caused the binding.

The minimal wear on the pads over 10k miles wouldn't suggest brakes dragging.

I set the rear brake pedal high so's me foot can't rest on it.

Last Edit: 06 February, 2020, 11:14:12 AM by Paul2bikes

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #5 on: 06 February, 2020, 12:03:30 PM
Going through a winter puddle when the brakes are hot?
Its pretty exposed down there.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #6 on: 06 February, 2020, 02:02:22 PM
Is it definitely a one-piece pad?   The EBC front pads are in two clear halves with a gap of a couple of mm.   Maybe the rear is made the same way but with a smaller gap between them.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2020, 03:26:03 PM
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Going through a winter puddle when the brakes are hot?
Its pretty exposed down there.

The bit that puzzles me is, just a few weeks previously I'd sat on me stool for 30 mins turning the wheel while cleaning me chain & lubing it, it wasn't stiff to turn then.

*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
Is it definitely a one-piece pad?   The EBC front pads are in two clear halves with a gap of a couple of mm.   Maybe the rear is made the same way but with a smaller gap between them.

Aye m8, no slits in the ebc rear pads at all, the oem pads have 2 slits in them for wear markers, likely helps clear crud anorl.

It's a strange one, got me baffled with it being ok when I cleaned the chain, then weeks later, it locks up. Must be them aliens at work again. They've been at a few bikes recently.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2020, 12:52:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
The bit that puzzles me is, just a few weeks previously I'd sat on me stool for 30 mins turning the wheel while cleaning me chain & lubing it, it wasn't stiff to turn then.
Aye m8, no slits in the ebc rear pads at all, the oem pads have 2 slits in them for wear markers, likely helps clear crud anorl.
It's a strange one, got me baffled with it being ok when I cleaned the chain, then weeks later, it locks up. Must be them aliens at work again. They've been at a few bikes recently.
Got to watch those aliens. Think they're all hired by BMW .....  :002:

Last 2 weeks though we've had a lot of temperature changes, weather fronts, heavy frosts then warm days (down south at least). May just be condensation in the garage?  :027:

Will tell you later on in the year when I manage to pull mine out from under all the boxes .......

Offline SEG59

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050 2006
  • City / Town: Runcorn
Reply #9 on: 25 February, 2020, 07:38:30 PM
Two years ago I had to strip down the rear caliper when the pads refused to back off, the rubber that cover over the slider pins swell over time and allow road crud in to corrode the pins, this then seizes the pads in situ', I replaced the rubber covers and fitted stainless pins.
  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Tiger-1050-Tiger-Sport-Rear-Brake-Caliper-Stainless-Steel-Slider-Pins/293476101210?hash=item445489ec5a:g:h8kAAOSwKAFeQtpw
I always strip front and back calipers every year to clean the pistons and copper slip the pads, but now also check the rear slider pins.

reconstruction