Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 XCx to Tiger Sport?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline McTipple

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
  • City / Town: Frankfurt
Tiger 800 XCx to Tiger Sport?
« on: 04 February, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
Hi all,
have been a happy owner of Tiger 800 XCx for 5 years now. Am considering making a change this year, and am looking for something still very comfortable, but with a more poke. Did not use my XCx offroad as intended as back problems came up - but love the comfy WP suspension on the XCx.

Did anybdoy hear make a move from the Tiger 800 to the recent Tiger Sport (or vice verse) and could share long-term observations in regards to handling, power/torque, comfort, and day-to-day use?

Thanks, all!

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Tiger 800 XCx to Tiger Sport?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
Ayup McTipple, I have both a '14 Tiger Sport & a '16 Tiger800XRX owned both from new. The TS is way more powerful for overtakes. The T8 is more nimble for the nadgery stuff eg hairpins riding passes in the Alps. Handling was much better on the TS with PR4's until I put Metz R01's on the T8, now I'd say that handles the better, mebbe just down to tyres. Fuel consumption is on a par, the T8 gives very good mpg bimbling about A & B roads eg 60'ish but quite poor at M'way speeds & above down to low 40's 'cos of it's low 6th gear. The TS doesn't seem to vary much from 50'ish mpg no matter what, gear ratios are better spaced. I did the Sweden & Denmark rallies on the T8 last year but should have used the TS for the long M'way runs.

Both are good load luggers without pillion, T8 a tad sluggish with. Missus says she feels safer on the TS 'co it whips past stuff quick without all the gear changing. For a trip to Italy I'd want the TS for getting there, and the T8 once there.

Build quality is far superior on the TS with better brakes & other stuff like bolt on pillion peg hangers. Downside to the TS in comparison is the extra weight but it doesn't faze this old fart.

Grunt vs Nimble. Considering the price of each being similar, the TS is far better value.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline McTipple

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2020, 11:13:37 AM »
Very insightful, thanks very much. How would you compare the two in terms of comfort, both for few hours, in town, and longer tours?
Might look at a current Tiger Sport Model, which I understand has a few upgrades from yours. Boy, would love the power of the Sport in my 800 - Borgnine both worlds, without having to go diente too heavy 1200s...

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2020, 12:44:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by McTipple [+]
Very insightful, thanks very much. How would you compare the two in terms of comfort, both for few hours, in town, and longer tours?
Might look at a current Tiger Sport Model, which I understand has a few upgrades from yours. Boy, would love the power of the Sport in my 800 - Borgnine both worlds, without having to go diente too heavy 1200s...

Comfort similar on both, shoite ha. I had Tony Archer level the TS seat & put a pad in, later seats might be better. The T8 came with the comfort seat, it's bearable. I've ridden them both from Zeebrugge to the Vosges 365m & Ullapool to home 450m  with just fuel stops. I did over 500 in a day last year on the T8, 'cos I cocked up the route.

The 1200 is a tad weighty, the TS is just as quick on acceleration & has the edge on top speed. Without all that extra weight. The 1200's extra torque would come good 2 up with full luggage.

I'd go for the later model than mine if only for the cruise control, I have it on T8, brill for me with painful hands.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline McTipple

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »
Thanks a lot - sounds like the Tiger Sport could become my next bike, if comfort is similar. A test ride will tell, my main concern was comfort and handling/nimbleness, really. Seems that the more sporty riding position is not an issue for you though - so thanks for your thoughts. Now I just have to muster the strength to decide if I really can part with a bike as lovely as the Tiger 800... You really gel together so well after spending so many years and 30k kilometres with a bike...  :020:

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
Yes, the 800 is a good bike, pity about that low top gear, spoils it for high speed cruising. I wonder if that has been sorted on the new 900, my other issues eg brakes & peg hangers have.

Are you on the Tiger 800 forum? What name on there? Would you be Derchef?

Good luck with the test ride, hope you like the TS as much as we do. I bought the T8 thinking of a lighter bike for me old age & getting rid of the TS, but I can't, God won't let me. Besides the grunt is so addictive.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline McTipple

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2020, 03:30:59 PM »
I am on the Tiger 800 forum as McTipple, same name as here. :-)  Yeah, will have to do some soul searching - having 2 bikes is just too impractical for me... You can only ever ride one at a time.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2020, 04:20:48 PM »
Ha, I have 4 bikes, 3 currently on the road, it's hard work giving them all turns about for a ride out and all the cleaning and keeping on top of all the maintenance. Not so bad in the winter, I keep the Triumphs on lockdown while snow & salt on the roads, Got a sacrificial anode (Jap bike) for that.  :745:
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2020, 03:52:46 AM »
I love these sorts of threads (bike comparisons/reviews).  Very interesting comments.  Sounds like you guys are saying the Tiger Sport is a great balance between the lower weight & nimble handling of the 800 and the highway cruising, load carrying ability and power of the 1200.  So its in fact better than either unless you want to go off road.  Hopefully Mr T reads this thread so he decides to keep the TS in the line-up
Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Got a sacrificial anode (Jap bike) for that.

I had a permanent loan of a Kwaka W800 for that. Loved it  :152:

When I did due diligence in 2017 to replace my 2008 Tiger, I decided on the 800XcX and absolutely loved how nimble and lightweight it felt.

I stayed over at my sister's in Wymondham I went over to Lings to do the business, as they were willing to give free extras and delivery to Felixtowe. Whilst waiting, they offered me a test ride on a MY18 TS and I changed my mind on the 800XcX in an instant. For me, that extra grunt at higher speeds is worth the low speed sacrifice.

Good luck  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8