Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Twer a tad nippy in th'ills today  (Read 395 times)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Twer a tad nippy in th'ills today
« on: 27 January, 2020, 09:12:27 PM »
It was 2c in garage at 10'ish got well clobbered up then set off up into the Peak District hills on my winter circular via Rainow, Salterford, Wildboarclough, Danebridge, Meerbrook, Thorncliffe, etc, seems like only me up there.
Passed one of our old trails across the river but thought better of it, then saw the mess the 4x4's had done taking a short cut, that'll be closed next. Passed by the church & school at Wincle, dunno where they find a congregation & kids, there's nowt there, it's middle of nowhere.
Came across a seat a couple of miles from nowhere, load of wreaths all around it, dunno what that was about, ya wouldn't want sit there for long, blowing a howling gale. By 'eck it's bleak up there looking across at the Roaches.

Though Warslow then called for the obligatory pie & brew in Hartington sat outside with the pie going cold quicker than I could eat it. Time for home, I was shivering, good for losing weight innit, burns the calories off. Away through Earl Sterndale & shortest route back. Frozen.

I got home 2.30pm, temp had got up to 4c in garage by then. Had to hose mesen down, me boots & pants were covered in the white stuff. Took me another 2 hours & several mugs of tea to thaw out.

Canna beat having fun eh.  :745

I went on me sacrificial anode (Jap bike) it's caked in that orribull white stuff now, feckit, I might clean it t'morra if it aint cold. Ha.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Twer a tad nippy in th'ills today
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2020, 09:30:02 PM »
Nice, looks pretty deserted, not too much salt about yet then?
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2020, 09:51:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Nice, looks pretty deserted, not too much salt about yet then?

Didn't look to be much salt on the roads but me & the bike were coated in it when we got home. I was surprised there was no ice up there on the back lanes.

Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2020, 12:49:31 PM »
Have you got a heated vest or similar Paul?    Makes a massive difference when I'm heading out at 7.30 on a frosty morning.   In combination with neck tube, decent gloves, heated grips, and guards, it makes even a motorway blast at near-freezing temps a comfortable trip.   Keeps your core properly warm, which means you don't lose overall body heat as time goes on.

It's so effective that even when it's frosty I find the 'medium' setting too hot and end up turning it down to low once off the high-speed roads.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
Nah m8, never had any heated grips or clothing. Do you get any probs with stator, reg/rec? That has been a concern if these things are border line or have the capacity for the excess req'd to run the extra kit. It would've been close to zero in the hills & I was out in it for a few hours. Should've gone for an indoor caff for a warm.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2020, 10:53:43 PM »
Geez, you must be the original iron man! I was out in the garden today down south, and even sheltered from the wind by the house it was cold.

Beautiful day though. Just the thing to clear out a few winter cobwebs ......

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2020, 07:29:14 AM »
Eez an ard Norvern Geezer in e :008:

Electric Gloves and vest for me today as I venture up the Forest of Dean
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2020, 08:24:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Nah m8, never had any heated grips or clothing. Do you get any probs with stator, reg/rec? That has been a concern if these things are border line or have the capacity for the excess req'd to run the extra kit. It would've been close to zero in the hills & I was out in it for a few hours. Should've gone for an indoor caff for a warm.

I have had a burned out stator, but Im reluctant to link that to the heated gear as stators are something of a weak spot on the 1050 anyway.  Also, I run 25W LED headlights, and the reduced draw from the lights is less than the vest takes, so shouldnt really cause any issues.   The reg/rec on the Sport is a different model to earlier 1050s and I havent noticed many posts about failures of those on here.   Hopefully I havent just cursed it!!

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »
Naked bikes not good in cold. Don't feel the cold so much on the TS but don't want the salt on it. Riding the traillie keeps me hand in over the winter months so I'm not too rusty when it's fit to get the TS out again.

We were out in much worse weather back in the 80's, must be getting soft in me old age.

Leonardo da Vinci