Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to wire Oxford Grips to front of Tiger?  (Read 506 times)

Offline Ksound

• Tiger Newbie
  • Thunderbird Sport 900, Tiger 1050
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050, TBS
  • City / Town: Seattle
How to wire Oxford Grips to front of Tiger?
« on: 21 January, 2020, 01:04:10 AM »
Hello all,  I'm a total wiring novice and I'm looking for advice on how to wire my oxford grips (old style) to the front of the bike.  I ordered the GPS wiring kit and I should have everything I need. 

The issue I'm having is that I have the older style oxford grips with three wires come off a sort of junction box.  From what I understand the newer updated oxford grips do not have this junction box and they now have an auto shut off included. 

Does anyone know how to delete this part and wire these to switched power up front?   I called Oxford and they said to look on the forums for help!   Any and all advice would be helpful.

thank you,

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: How to wire Oxford Grips to front of Tiger?
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
I don't know Oxford Grips personally, but you'll need to have a switched power source I imagine, so that they turn on/off with the ignition. I dont know the current draw on these grips, so I'd be hesitant about connecting them up to the Triumph standard heated grips connection behind the headlamp cowl.

What I would do then is fit a relay behind the cockpit somewhere, which would switch permanent connections (via a fuse) from the battery to the grips. The relay itself would draw a switched live feed from the sidelight circuit. I'm assuming the handlebar fitting has an on/off switch of some kind. If not, then you'd also need a cockpit-mounted on/off switch to actually switch that relay on and off (unless you want the heated grips on all the time the bike is running!  :015: ).

Perhaps someone else who knows this system will chime in. In the meantime, good luck.

Offline TimboLeMatelot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Worthing
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2020, 12:07:19 PM »
Hi,

I have been fitting grips recently on all three bikes ..... mine and the wife's.

Firstly check the fuse rating of the heating grip connector circuit that is provided in the loom. Oxford grip draw about 4Amp, the Sport circuit is fused at 10A.. It would be preferable to use the provided circuit, it will be neater than having to run back to the battery .

Secondly get a set of instructions for the version of grips that you have so that you can determine what the 3 connections are for. 12V, Gnd and a switched feed (maybe) ... don't guess! double check before you start!! It will save wasted effort and tears  :006:

The Sport harness\loom connector provides a fused feed and a switched live ... I used it to energise a relay, the relay switches the fused feed to the grips. I am not sure about the 1050 and I am not at home to check my Haynes manual. Do you have an manual\wiring diagram?

If you do happen to pursue\purchase the new type they do have a Auto Off function which allows them to be wired directly to the battery however you can disable the function (I have on all 3 bikes) and allow the relay\ignition to control the On\Off status.

I hope that helps for now, I'm happy to help more if needs be.

Bw

Offline Ksound

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2020, 01:54:53 AM »
Thanks for your input guys.  Oxford sent me this scanned page for the wiring diagram.  Apparently they don't even have this model available on their site for support docs.

Offline TimboLeMatelot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Worthing
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2020, 07:55:51 AM »
Did you attach the picture?
« Last Edit: 22 January, 2020, 08:58:09 AM by TimboLeMatelot »

Online gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2020, 12:06:10 PM »
Looking at those instructions, a switched feed that is controlled by the ignition switch is a must. If you forget to turn them off, those grips will automatically shut off after the battery voltage gets to 10.5-11V. That's too low for the Tiger's ECU and if the starter does engage, the sprag clutch could be damaged. Check out this thread, I put a link in reply #1 to a plug and play harness that will give you a switched feed for the grips.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,41057.msg453309.html#msg453309
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Ksound

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »
Thanks Gosling, yes I understand. I have the switched cable and am able to wire that in to the front.  The part that I'm uncertain about is if I can eliminate the control box and how to wire it up seeing that the newer versions don't have the control box.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2020, 09:14:28 PM »
Let me take a flyer here and say that the 'old' system probably had a low-current controller that talked to the control box. They would have done this to keep the high current runs as short as possible and the heat controller would have had a small control current only. It would be difficult to eliminate it as it is the 'hand' that is tweaking the controller and probably has small control wires. The newer version either routes the heavy load current through suitable wires in the controller or the current control is buried in the wiring loom somewhere. I'm guessing the former. My advice would be to live with the control box as you are otherwise likely to fry the heat controller if it will even work at all. It's not a simple matter of removing the control box and just making connections. It will have been designed to operate as two mutual devices and simply dumping one and making connections will not work, for sure. IMHO.

Offline Ksound

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2020, 12:55:54 AM »
Thanks Zulu.  So to wire this to the Tiger I'll need to find a spot for the controller and all of the wiring and hide it at the front of the bike.  I did order a Triumph Heated Grips Relay Kit from Eastern Beaver.  So then I would take the positive and negative wires from the oxford kit and fit them to a new connector to plug into the eastern beaver wires? 

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2020, 10:13:58 AM »
That sounds right. Your diagram shows a system of connecting directly to the battery for the lowest volt-drop option. You just need to provide an alternative 12V source. On my wiring diagram I notice that the heated grips plug is a 3-wire plug. It has a negative and two positives, one tapped off the headlight supply (which is switched from the ignition and drops out during cranking) and the other direct from the battery via a fuse (this positive also feeds the two-wire accessory plug), so not switched. You'll need to figure out which to pick for your application. If you can find some Posi Taps you can do some tapping that is almost invisibly removed:

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

There are other folks on this forum with better info on the point of connection for heated grips so Ill bow out now. I've never fitted them but have used the accessory point-of-supply to power my Tiger Sport headlights, just to spread the current through more wiring.