Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scraping exhaust on right turns  (Read 634 times)

Offline MessyJesse96

• Tiger Newbie
  • Harley riders love chicken strips 😁
  • Bike/Model: 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Columbus
Scraping exhaust on right turns
« on: 14 January, 2020, 06:02:06 AM »
I have put about 5 or 6 thousand miles on my 2008 tiger 1050. I have been riding on the street for about 7 years now. Started on a Yamaha RD350 moved to a CBR F4I then to my ex Lola (FZ1)  When I'm riding in the twisties (aggressively) on right hand turns I have been scraping the exhaust shield.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue or do i need to lose a few pounds (250) or drop some cash on suspension. Can I stiffen the monoshock like on a dirt bike?

I told the dealer to tighten it up as much as he could when I bought it but I think he just stiffened the rebound.

Yes I know losing some weight certainly would help.

The man hunched over his motorcycle can only focus on the present... he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future.... he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear. ~Milan Kundera~

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
Re: Scraping exhaust on right turns
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2020, 08:40:59 AM »
May be worth checking if you have a lowering kit fitted on the bike, that would ground out sooner.
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
 :745: I'd have thought many other bits would have grounded out well before the heat shield?  :084:

If still stock, it needs new suspension with suitable spring rates, those earlier T1050's were renowned for poor suspension/handling even when new. Gonna be a lot worse at 12 years old with a heavy load anorl.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2020, 12:22:13 PM »
I found my '08 Tiger under sprung for my 180 lb. weight. Have a look on Racetech's site, they have a spring rate calculator that will give you the rates based on your weight and riding style. Many Tigers have been lowered so if your bike is used, check to see if the triangular plates attaching the bottom of the shock to the swingarm and frame are stock. If your not sure, post some pics of them and I will compare them to my Tigers plates.

https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Triumph/Tiger%201050/2007-09
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »
 :401: She's a beauty. Love the seat  :062:

There's an adjuster knob you can leave permanently attached for the rear spring. VFR PAUL used to sell them for around $20. Certainly worth a try to see if it helps.

If your forks and rear spring have yet to be updated, it is only a matter if time and comfort before you improve your bike beyond recognition  :046:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2020, 01:04:15 PM »
 :401: Messyjessy, some great scenery you have over there in Columbus  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2020, 08:40:25 PM »
Agree and agree. 
Confirm you don't  have a lowering kit and more than likely if you weigh more than 120 pounds the springs need to be tweaked.

Lastly, better than average chance you are a victim of bad riding skills. Very few people are taught to properly ride a motorcycle. (including me, or maybe it was only me)
After some training, in a parking lot (Total Control) decided to take it on the track, by third time out I was grinding foot pegs. Coach took me a side and said get your butt moving and head down.
A couple years later I still struggled with this bad habit.  In the end could manage to get a knee down and not drag the exhaust or foot pegs.

The plus side of the training and a better suspension, was more fun and smile's per mile.     :490:
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2020, 09:24:10 PM »
If I remember correctly the stock plates have an 'S' and an'R' stamped next to a couple of the bolt holes, out of the three can't remember which

Offline MessyJesse96

• Tiger Newbie
  • Harley riders love chicken strips 😁
  • Bike/Model: 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Columbus
« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2020, 11:24:45 PM »
Checking if it has the lowering kit is something I never thought of. It's worth mentioning the dealer said the previous owner was a woman. So it is very possible the lowering kit could be on it as well as a softer spring.

I'm no Valentino Rossi but I dont have any chicken strips 😎   A track day with a professional giving me advice never hurts.

Picture was taken at Deals Gap (Trophy is my Dad's)

« Last Edit: 14 January, 2020, 11:46:29 PM by MessyJesse96 »
The man hunched over his motorcycle can only focus on the present... he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future.... he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear. ~Milan Kundera~

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »
Now ya tell us, it could well have been altered back & front to suit a lightweight lady if you have such a thing over the pond. Check the ground clearance against a stock low miler.

Surprising there's owt left of your panniers, especially the rhs one as you're scraping the exhaust shield. Mebbe as Indy says, a change of riding style might get you around bends quicker, Sheene didn't lean his bikes over but did ok with his slow in, fast out style.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci