Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Triumph 900 on the way  (Read 981 times)

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: New Triumph 900 on the way
« Reply #20 on: 04 December, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Yes, I read that about the firing order 1-3-2, wonder what the angle is? This has been done over the years with different layout. Have they nicked an old idea or come up with sumert wonderful & new? Anything been said?

the new crank is at 0, 90, and 180-degrees,

firing at180, 270, 270,
« Last Edit: 04 December, 2019, 10:00:34 PM by tiggersteve »

Offline toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #21 on: 05 December, 2019, 03:53:15 AM »
Seems like

a) they've built a sort of triple version of the Africa Twin
b) Mr T thinks mid 90's hp, dry weight close to but not over 200 kgs, as much torque as you can get and low down in the rev range, is the best recipe for adventure bikes these days

I thought the GT version might be a replacement in the range for the TS. It's obviously not, so here's hopin' they update it and not drop it from the model range w/out a replacement
Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  MRA screen + spoiler.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.  Would like to respring forks but would need to get divorced first.

Offline fred piket

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: tiger '13 SE
« Reply #22 on: 05 December, 2019, 06:46:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]

I think it's hidious, I will certainly not buy it...

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #23 on: 05 December, 2019, 06:55:50 AM »
Have to say im Really pleased the new 900 has been launched Triumph have ticked another box in their model range and hopefully move ever closer to what I want.

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #24 on: 05 December, 2019, 07:06:16 AM »
I think the new Tiger looks good, will ride great  and be a big seller.

What it isnt, is a 1050 replacement some folk were hoping for.

Theres still hope, all the time they havent dropped the TS from the range theres a chance of an upgrade.
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Offline Texan Rider

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Ft Worth, Texas
« Reply #25 on: 05 December, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
While the 1050 is a great bike, the original Tiger offering  of the "new" Triumph was a "900." 
Many loved it and a few still ride 'em.
Yes, improvements were made along the line, and still continue with the 1200, 1050 Sport, the 800, and now the "new" 900.

Don't really care too much how it looks 'cept from the rider's position.
The real question is about ergonomics, performance, reliability, and price.
Time will tell.
White Tiger Rider
"Which way you going?" they asked.
After some thought, I replied, "Doesn't matter, as long as I'm going."

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #26 on: 06 December, 2019, 01:37:07 AM »
I've looked at the latest Triumphs and find them pretty ugly in the flesh. Like the styling was done by separate people who then bolted it together? And each took cues from other marques? But, as mentioned here, beauty is manifold and in the eye of the beholder. I really hope they all sell well as a strong Triumph is good for everyone on their machines especially if it improves dealer performance.

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #27 on: 06 December, 2019, 08:36:19 AM »
Must admit, and this doesn't seem to be the general opinion on here, I quite like the way it looks.   Maybe that's because a lot of bikes look like that now so I'm just more used to the angular styling.   Looks better than the 800 to me, anyway, but I tend to prefer a more substantial bike.

Triumph have just opened a huge new showroom in London, I will wander over one lunchtime and take a look.   It's where Metropolis was, under the arches at Vauxhall station.   I guess the factory is in a better position to suck up the massively increased rental charges from Network Rail that shafted Metropolis a year or two ago.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #28 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:50:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
the new crank is at 0, 90, and 180-degrees,

firing at180, 270, 270,

Thanks for that, so, it's gonna sound like an off-beat Bonnie twin then, I guess. The bike has a lot of improvements over the 800, with the brakes, suspension & the bolt on pillion hangers. What it don't have is much more in performance, on paper, maybe it does in the flesh if we are to believe Stewart Wood.
I like the looks of it & more than happy that it's not good enough to replace the 1050 motor although it might sound a bit more like the 1050 now.
As y'all know I have the 1050 & 800 Tigers, when I fire them up, its like comparing a De-Walt corded tool to a Black & decker cordless. Worst bit about the 800 is its top gear is too low so makes it very buzzy at high speed with poor mpg. I haven't seen any mention of improving that.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
« Reply #29 on: 06 December, 2019, 10:05:54 AM »
Seems like power is less that expected, I was reading Bike Mags article written before launch, they guessed at 115bhp.
With the new BMW 900 putting out 10bhp more, this new Tiger starts with a bit of a disadvantage in the headline figures.

There's an interesting vid on firing order from Matt at the Workshop You Tube channel, I think he explains how it makes a difference pretty well here:
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2