Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2007 Tiger 1050  (Read 370 times)

Offline amkellusmc

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: PA
  • City / Town: Harrisburg
2007 Tiger 1050
« on: 13 November, 2019, 02:27:56 AM »
Hello all you Tiger fans. im new to the forum. i have a question.

a local dealer has a Tiger 1050 for sale and the price is $3700 dollars. i am located in the United States.
The bike has 47 thousand miles on it. there are a few scuffs and scrapes on it. this would be my first
Triumph motorcycle.  the outside condition is not to important to me but the motor is. i have test ridden it and
fell in love with it. that triple sound is amazing. it seemed like a solid bike but i would love to get some feedback
from Tiger fans. i am not a mechanic and i was wondering if this would be a good buy overall. im just asking
in general are the 2007 Tiger 1050 bikes at least semi reliable with 47 thousand miles on them.

thanks guys.   First round is on me, raise em up and salute the Tiger 1050.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Re: 2007 Tiger 1050
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2019, 12:23:33 PM »
Hello and  :401:

I guess you should be asking the dealer the usual questions. Does it have a service history? The Tiger calls for minor services every 6k miles and major services every 12K miles, were these done? At 47K miles, the Tiger you are looking at is 1k away from a major service. It includes a valve clearance check, and can be a bit expensive due to the labor required. Figure that into the asking price. Also, the usual wear items need to be looked at, tires, chain/sprockets, and brake pads. The Tiger is sensitive to battery voltage, most have upgraded the OEM YTX12-BS to the higher capacity YTZ14S. About a decade ago there were issues with oil consumption due to pistons cracking between the ring grooves. Triumph claimed it was caused by the ECU tunes and ethanol blended fuels not playing well together. They issued updated tunes and fixed the Tigers that had the issue. I think it involved the '07 and '08 Tigers, have not read of any Tigers suffering this problem in many years. My '08 never had any problems, (owned it since new), and has been trouble free except for a couple of leaky fork seals and a defective battery, fixed under warranty.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2019, 12:46:10 PM »
Sounds a lot of money (2,900) for a 12 year old bike. Mind, folk ask far more for 15 year old Bonnies.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2019, 12:46:47 PM »
As an owner of a 2008 that had the piston problem, I'd say ask them to do a compression check at least, possibly a leakdown test too (though I've heard that test can be administered inappropriately with wild results. Also good to see what they are willing to do about the big service coming up. I remember that being a bit of a price shock when I took it in.

But, welcome to the fray!

Offline amkellusmc

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2019, 03:30:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply. It helped alot. I'm trying to gather alit of info so I can make an informed decision about possibly buying the bike. 

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2019, 03:56:40 PM »
What battery is in it?  Weak batteries cause all sorts of issues and the OE (a YTX12BS I think) is considered 'weak' for this bike by many.

One issue is causing failed starts (by voltage drop) which can cause problems with sprag clutch.  So has it had the upgraded sprag clutch/gear train/motor fitted (it's expensive)?  Note; with decent well maintained battery the OE sprag should be fine and not need the upgrade.  Eg. My 07's original sprag setup is fine cos I keep (upgraded to Yuasa YTZ14S) battery in good condition.

If you get a test ride, give it a good run then stop, switch off and let the ecu shut down (you'll hear the stepper motor chirrup).  Then start it up again, does it start lively or sluggish?  Do this a few times on way back to seller.  Some bikes have an issue with starting when 'hot', they act like the battery is drained, but wait 5mins and try again and they start as if nowts wrong.  No one has really 100% scientifically nailed down what the problem is (not even Triumph).  If you get lively starts every time you'll probably be good.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2019, 04:19:00 PM »
 :401:

Yes indeed, bikes of that era need a leak down / compression test to show that the pistons are all good. The fact it is so old, with that number of miles, is a good sign and hopefully it is running an updated tune. Perhaps the previous power was on this site and might chime in with some information.

At that sort of money, they need to include / complete the large service with the valve guide check etc.

Good luck  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline amkellusmc

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2019, 07:36:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #8 on: 13 November, 2019, 08:32:11 PM »
47k really is not a bog deal for those engines. As others suggest far more important is the maintenance that has (or hasn't) been done.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2019, 08:38:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
47k really is not a bog deal for those engines. As others suggest far more important is the maintenance that has (or hasn't) been done.

That's right, what mileage has Rhead done on his now, 180k?
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci