Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Charging troubles again...  (Read 751 times)

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Re: Charging troubles again...
« Reply #10 on: 09 November, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »
So those photos aren't showing the corrosion. They are showing the resulting burning from the shorting  :187:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2019, 12:00:26 PM »
I don't think it was actually shorting, but it can't have been far off doing that - which would not have been a good situation at all.   The exposed cables had some insulation between them, but all stuck together and rather crispy so it all fell off whilst I was looking at it and moving it around.

Each phase of the stator puts out about 60V at speed, so a dead short between them would have been 'interesting' for short (and probably expensive) period of time.

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #12 on: 11 November, 2019, 01:50:01 PM »
I would have been more than a little concerned if I had found similar  :005:

Thanks for posting  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #13 on: 04 December, 2019, 09:56:07 PM »
Just a quick post to follow up on this - I ordered a metri-pak 280 3-way connector as suggested, and it is indeed much more substantial and properly weatherproofed.   Much better although I struggled a little to get the cables to the reg/reg properly clamped in, they're a bit chunky for the 280 connector.   Much thicker than the cables that come from the stator.

Now back to a solid ~14V at all revs and it doesn't get hot to the touch at all.   I will keep an eye on it, but calling it resolved for the moment.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #14 on: 05 December, 2019, 04:54:41 PM »
Interesting! And well-done for solving it so quickly ...  :028:  Without that voltmeter on the cockpit, I think many people might not have noticed the problem until the battery expired and/or a strong smell of burning emerged from under the tank!

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #15 on: 05 December, 2019, 05:01:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I fitted a voltmeter on the handlebars so I could keep an eye on what the charging system is up to.   Yesterday, that paid dividends big time - I suddenly noticed that instead of the usual 14.1V (plus or minus a bit depend on what load is on the system) it was suddenly only reading 12.2V when idling at traffic lights.

You got a link to that voltmeter?
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #16 on: 05 December, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #17 on: 05 December, 2019, 05:29:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]

Yes, I just liked the idea of the mounted on handlebar that Mike said.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Grumpy old man

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Te Awamutu
« Reply #18 on: 05 December, 2019, 08:25:37 PM »
I have gone through this several times with a CBR900 and a VFR800

So when I got my Tiger sport I actually took the connectors apart and out of the plastic  to check the connections and they are a fairly loose fit and barely have any resistance to being pulled apart at the spade connection so quite a loose fit

So while it is under warranty I took the opportunity to squeeze the connectors tight  with a set of pliers  so that there was  a reasonable amount of force required to push them back together

Then reassemble back into the plastic holder and reconnect checking they go together properly and not try to push out of the plastic connector

Before doing this voltage at battery at idle was 12.8 volts after this 13.5 volts with no other changes

When it is out of warranty I will replace this connector with a higher amp rated one as the stock spades are already at the top of their amp rating which is usually around 25-30 amps for this type of connector

in the meantime a regular inspection should keep me on top of this issue

I don't want nearly 70 volts AC running through my loom if it all goes wrong or to be stuck in the middle of nowhere without phone coverage

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #19 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:46:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grumpy old man [+]
I have gone through this several times with a CBR900 and a VFR800

So when I got my Tiger sport I actually took the connectors apart and out of the plastic  to check the connections and they are a fairly loose fit and barely have any resistance to being pulled apart at the spade connection so quite a loose fit

So while it is under warranty I took the opportunity to squeeze the connectors tight  with a set of pliers  so that there was  a reasonable amount of force required to push them back together

Then reassemble back into the plastic holder and reconnect checking they go together properly and not try to push out of the plastic connector

Before doing this voltage at battery at idle was 12.8 volts after this 13.5 volts with no other changes

When it is out of warranty I will replace this connector with a higher amp rated one as the stock spades are already at the top of their amp rating which is usually around 25-30 amps for this type of connector

in the meantime a regular inspection should keep me on top of this issue

I don't want nearly 70 volts AC running through my loom if it all goes wrong or to be stuck in the middle of nowhere without phone coverage

Yep, did the same once on my old 955 Tiger and gained .5V, definitely worth doing
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS