Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange noise  (Read 14758 times)

Offline toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: Strange noise
« Reply #10 on: 29 October, 2019, 01:43:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dusty ST [+]
Anti knock sensor. Might be wrong, but I don't think the Triumph ECU is that sophisticated, I believe some of the newer BMWs have it, and it allows them to run with a higher compression ratio and get full benefit from higher octane fuel.

You are not wrong.  AFAIK the only data the ECU gets to tell it what the engine is doing is the crank position sensor, MAP sensor and the narrow band O2 sensor.  No cam pos or anti knock.  Wonder if the new 1160 will get an engine management upgrade?

I doubt it is pinging anyway if OP is running it on 98 RON
Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #11 on: 29 October, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »
I had a weird metallic rattle on mine which had me thinking about the cam chain tensioner etc.
Only because it sounded like it was from the engine  :087:
Turns out it was the clutch lever rattling, which goes to show that strange noise locations can be very deceptive......
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - Nitron R2 Shock, Revalved forks with Ohlins spings/Oil,  SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand,  Ventura rear rack.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #12 on: 29 October, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkd102 [+]
I had a weird metallic rattle on mine which had me thinking about the cam chain tensioner etc.
Only because it sounded like it was from the engine  :087:
Turns out it was the clutch lever rattling, which goes to show that strange noise locations can be very deceptive......

My Tiger's done around 40,000Km via a shipping container with no rattles whatsoever  :008:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline agardener

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050 2018
  • City / Town: New Forest
« Reply #13 on: 29 October, 2019, 02:19:12 PM »
😀
Andrew

Offline agardener

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050 2018
  • City / Town: New Forest
« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2019, 06:26:14 PM »
Thanks Guys, you are all an invaluable source of experience and knowledge!

The chain had about 25mm of up / down movement midspan on the lower run.  I readjusted to 40mm, cleaned and relubed the chain.

I heard the noise when two up on the last few runs, but her indoors could not be tempted out in the cold and dark!

However, 1 up, the noise seems to have disappeared, but I need to test it two up to have the same load at the same revs. 

I will update after the weekend when her indoors has been pillion......

Thanks again....
Andrew

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: 29 October, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
My Tiger's done around 40,000Km via a shipping container with no rattles whatsoever  :008:

:491:
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - Nitron R2 Shock, Revalved forks with Ohlins spings/Oil,  SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand,  Ventura rear rack.

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: 29 October, 2019, 06:32:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by agardener [+]
Thanks Guys, you are all an invaluable source of experience and knowledge!

The chain had about 25mm of up / down movement midspan on the lower run.  I readjusted to 40mm, cleaned and relubed the chain.

I heard the noise when two up on the last few runs, but her indoors could not be tempted out in the cold and dark!

However, 1 up, the noise seems to have disappeared, but I need to test it two up to have the same load at the same revs. 

I will update after the weekend when her indoors has been pillion......

Thanks again....

Hi Andrew, 25mm is not enough.
Easy way to set the chain slack (if you have a center stand) is to adjust it so that at its tightest point it just about touches the underside of the swingarm.
I've been using this method and my 1st chain lasted over 40k and rarely needed adjustment.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #17 on: 29 October, 2019, 10:57:14 PM »
I've always tended to run my chain on the loose side. Do a lot of miles fully loaded, and I'm sure the suspension travel when hitting bumps uses up all the slack in the chain.

I can easily push the chain up to touch the underside of the swinging arm - that's on the centre stand. Got 18K out of the first chain, now at 29k on the 2nd (now with Scottoiler).

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Gordonton
« Reply #18 on: 31 October, 2019, 05:23:20 AM »
 Also check the front sprocket nut, it may be loose.
07 Tiger 1050, K&N Air Filter, Snorkel Removed, Storm GP Low Level Exhaust, 20551 Map, NGK Iridium Plugs, Ricks R/R, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Front Springs, Bar End Mirrors, LED Spots, Leather Seat Cover, Ebay Levers, Ebay Risers, Custom Bars.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #19 on: 31 October, 2019, 08:14:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by jkd102 [+]
1st chain lasted over 40k and rarely needed adjustment.

Same here  :008:

But seriously, I suspect I have recreated the OPs original pinking like issue during hard acceleration, due to not first dropping to a lower a gear.

I've not ever noticed it before, however I will take a look at the, as yet not adjusted from new, chain's tension tomorrow  :087:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8