Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED spot/Fog lights.  (Read 563 times)

Offline kraftykarper

• Tiger Member
  • This is not a rehersal.
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Norwich
LED spot/Fog lights.
« on: 15 October, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
So the latest accessory to be fitted to the tiger sport was led running lights. Although the twin headlamp on the 2016 onwards tiger sport is a good set up, I've always fitted led lamps as an extra guy I try and avoid a smidsy. When I ordered the bike I specified the engine dresser bars, always intending to fit leds to them and this summer I found what I was looking for on ebay. They are bright, and although I haven't used them in darkness yet they do get you noticed. Only today a slower car in front pulled over so I could pass 😀 I've made sure they don't dazzle, but I think they stand out because the light is whiter than the headlamps! Quality is good, the lights are Cree all aluminium, and the brackets are cnc machined aluminium. Lights were about 18 a pair as we're the brackets. I got a mechanic who does my servicing to wire them in do they come on automatically with the headlights.

I'm pleased with the results.

Took the tiger out today after a few weeks off it and I'm reminded what a great bike it is. Creamy power delivery, happy bumbling along on the back roads at 50 mph, or seeing 3 figures on the bypass. That triple engine sound is so addictive and the bike so responsive and confidence inspiring. I realy think it does do it all.

I can't see me replacing it with anything else. A multistrada is tempting, but look at the price difference. Is all that tech nessesary? I think the 2016 on tiger sport has it just about right.

Next purchase might be a mra screen?

Online af1-windy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
Re: LED spot/Fog lights.
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2019, 08:02:35 AM »
I have those lights, well not those, them are yours I have me own..  :001: Anyway, had mine on my Rex before the TS for a few years, still going strong..

I like that yours are wider apart..

One thing I did, cos I have a touch of OCD (kidding) I think  :084: :164: I painted the brackets black, bought some black stainless steel nuts and bolts, nuts with nylon locking, so I didn't need the split washers.. looks neat..  :002:

Lads in front of me when they're on say they're  :172: bright and annoying..  :152:

Not the best photo, I had to zoom in on a full frontal..

« Last Edit: 16 October, 2019, 08:09:44 AM by af1-windy »

Offline kraftykarper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2019, 08:16:17 AM »
That's uncanny because when I put them on I was thinking, a job for the winter, get some satin black paint and paint the brackets! Yes, I put a set of stainless bolts with nylok nuts on them and then used the black nut caps to finish it off.

I think ocd goes with having a motorbike! We're always looking at ways to improve or make things neater.

They seem realy well made and strong and the brackets I used for the crash bars were very well made and multi adjustable. Sadly made in China, but you do wonder how they manage it, apart from low wage costs!

I've seen lights on bars etc, but using the engine dresser bars seemed simpler and neater.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2019, 10:13:02 AM »
I have those same lights, and believe me they do dazzle. There is no kind of focus on the lens, they just chuck out lots of light in a cone - though I can set mine to a dim setting. So had to angle mine down noticeably. Even then I don't like using them really, and only turn them on when filtering in really heavy traffic (say M25 or Brussels Ring).

Online Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by kraftykarper [+]
I think ocd goes with having a motorbike! We're always looking at ways to improve or make things neater.

You're right! I'd turn the bolts round so the nuts are on the inside!
Also go for shorter bolts, with button heads and dome nuts.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Online af1-windy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
I just noticed something, in the first photo. The bracket that is clamped to the engine bar, shouldn't the bracket for the lamp fit on the flat side?  :084: I could be wrong and it looks OK as it is, just wondering..  :015:

Offline kraftykarper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2019, 03:44:03 PM »
😀 Yes your probably right. When I take em off to spray the brackets I'll turn them over.

If you hadn't said I would have probably not noticed! 😂

When it's too cold or icy to ride you can always clean or fettle it 😂

Offline IB1965

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Malton
« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2019, 06:34:46 PM »
Have you fitted LED 's in the headlights as well? I was looking at some spot lights as well, but also upgrading the headlights. I had a 2018 Tiger 800 prior to the Sport with all LED lights, and they were amazing, the only thing I really miss about the 800.

Offline kraftykarper

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2019, 10:47:10 AM »
Hi,
Never tried led or hid replacement headlights myself. I find the standard twin headlamp arrangement is pretty good. I just like to fit these type of led running lights to make you a bit more noticeable to other drivers, and as a deterrent to the SMIDSY! I do find that as a rider that wears glasses though, many car headlights now are getting very bright, or are incorrectly adjusted, and this can really dazzle you. Add in rain or misting up on your visor and winter riding can be very uncomfortable. Always have a pinlock in my visor, and these do help. The only solution is to move to somewhere hot, or don't ride when its very cold !! :008:

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2019, 06:00:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by IB1965 [+]
Have you fitted LED 's in the headlights as well? I was looking at some spot lights as well, but also upgrading the headlights. I had a 2018 Tiger 800 prior to the Sport with all LED lights, and they were amazing, the only thing I really miss about the 800.
I have the same spots as kraftykarper. When I got the bike I fitted cyclops leds in the headlights. They were great as standalone lights but tbh did not add anything to the spots. I took mine out for its first MOT. Getting them out was a lot harder than getting them in (and in my case was destructive  :004:) so I just put in a pair of nightbreakers and aimed the spots as if they were low beams so I keep them on all the time. Coping fine with winter commuting, and no complaints from other road users.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.