Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated gear tested  (Read 546 times)

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Heated gear tested
« on: 14 October, 2019, 08:07:35 PM »
Not needed yet but I'd rather know now than when a proper cold spell does hit. So gave everything a shakedown today and turned it all on at once - although I only left it at 50% to avoid cooking myself  :005:

I did replace my Gerbing dual controller over summer as the main wire into the controller had become frayed and was causing dodgy contact by the end of last winter. Reading the reviews it appears I'm not alone and the design could stand some improvement  :164:. i probably could have repaired it but replacing was the easy option. Devices in question are a Keis body warmer / vest, Keis insoles and Gerbing gloves. I use the Gerbing controller for everything (need an adaptor for the Keis stuff) because it remembers the previous setting when you turn the ignition off.

I also applied a liberal squirt of silicone spray to the insole connectors. Either they have got even stiffer than they were or the arthritis is getting worse  :745:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Heated gear tested
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2019, 06:31:29 PM »
I took my Keis Vest up to Machynlleth last week just in case, but never turned it on apart from to test. Cant make me mind up whether to have the KTM heated grips fitted or get some Keis gloves
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2019, 08:33:54 PM »
If you're going to ride occasionally around town or just short distances get the grips. High speeds and long rides gloves are the only way to go <IMHO>

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2019, 02:45:11 PM »
I do 20 miles of high speed roads twice a day - to be honest I find decent winter gloves plus heated grips and handguards are absolutely fine.   It's a tricky one to answer as to which is best, heated gloves are probably better at keeping your hands warm, but a huge bonus with the grips is that they are always there.   If you go out without your heated gloves and then 50 miles later find the temperature has dropped, you're going to have an uncomfortable ride home.   With the grips - one click, and you're sorted.

It's also quite an individual thing, some people find it very painful after a while and can hardly operate the controls, but to others it's just an annoyance.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
The Tiger Sport heated grips were pretty poor looking back, Im told the KTM ones actually get too hot on max, Ive still got some oldish Gerbing gloves, but I would have to find a way to power them from the Keis.
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:52:26 PM »
I find beyond an hour is intolerable without gloves or badgers (which I hate). Nice thing about the gerbings is they are my favourite gloves - even if I don't plug them in.

Offline philm44

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport - 2016
  • City / Town: Gravesend
« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2019, 10:50:39 PM »
I had Triumph heated grips installed on my 16 TS from new. However...
Ive also got Keis heated gloves. They are much more effective and really take the misery out of winter riding

Offline Sam Platt

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2018
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »
I used my Keis jacket for the first time this Autumn. Heading out towards Hawes this morning taking advantage of the lovely forecast, it just took the chill off me. Lovely days riding  as well