Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter works intermilttengly  (Read 295 times)

Offline Triumph24

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 abs
  • City / Town: Ada
Starter works intermilttengly
« on: 14 October, 2019, 03:42:52 AM »
It's that simple. Sometimes when I hit the starter switch nothing happens. Then a few minutes later it works. New battery and tight connections. Any ideas. Where does the main battery ground hook up to the frame or whatever? I can hear the solenoid click, but then I have to turn off the ignition to get it to try again.
2008 Tiger 1050 abs.
« Last Edit: 14 October, 2019, 03:44:55 AM by Triumph24 »

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Starter works intermilttengly
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:45:33 AM »
Is this a new problem? Does it happen from cold or just from hot? How long you had the bike? Simple stuff first. Follow the battery cables down & check the connections at the other ends eg earth, solenoid & starter.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Triumph24 [+]
It's that simple. Sometimes when I hit the starter switch nothing happens. Then a few minutes later it works. New battery and tight connections. Any ideas. Where does the main battery ground hook up to the frame or whatever? I can hear the solenoid click, but then I have to turn off the ignition to get it to try again.
2008 Tiger 1050 abs.

If you are happy the battery is A1-Tip-Top, then you need to check the clutch & side stand switches. Perhaps just a little lube is all you need  :187:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2019, 10:23:56 AM »
The main earth (or ground) connection is on the back of the motor, just above the gearbox section behind the cylinders (the frame is not used for electricals on these bikes, 'cos of the alloy construction). It's worth checking this connection even though it's a pig to get to (even more so if you have the California-style anti-pollution pot there). But if you can, loosen the nut, undo the cables there, vaseline them up and retighten (not too tight).

Also, the starter solenoid under the seat has a large master fuse on it (under a cover) - pull this out and check for corrosion, then also vaseline and reassemble).

But it does sound like your battery might be a bit suspect, even if it's new. There are batteries and batteries, and you need the best you can get for the Tiger. To confkrm if this is the issue, hook up a car battery in parallel via jump leads (N.B. the car engine should NOT be running!), then try starting the bike a few times. If there's no problem at all, you might want to relook at the battery.
« Last Edit: 14 October, 2019, 10:25:38 AM by Paullie »

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »
Very important, when you say 'nothing happens' do you mean literally nothing, no sounds or reaction from the bike at all?  If so you're looking at clutch(more likely) or stand interlocks as YD says.  The starter button itself is also a possibility (being dirty/poor contact).
If however you''re getting a click from the relay and/or solenoid(should get both) the clutch/stand interlocks are nothing to do with it and you need to look at the starting motor circuit.  Three components; battery, motor & solenoid and three wires are all that's involved.

On an 08 Tiger the earth point is easy to get to, at least I find it so.
« Last Edit: 14 October, 2019, 11:35:42 AM by Sidewinder »

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »
We all missing the 1st stage, what does the battery measure on your multimeter? Just 'cos it's new don't mean it's good.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/motorcycle-and-powersport/installation-testing-and-maintenance/
Leonardo da Vinci

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2019, 04:46:30 PM »
Hot or cold? If you can hear the solenoid clicking it's probably early warning that it's time for a new battery.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Triumph24

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 abs
  • City / Town: Ada
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2019, 03:55:41 AM »
Yellow Dog nailed it. It was the clutch switch.  Five minutes and some contact cleaner, and it works like a charm. Thanks to all you guys for your suggestions. You always come through for me.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2019, 07:22:07 AM »
Brill, glad you got it sorted & thanks for the feedback. That's an odd one with you getting a click from the solenoid. Well sussed YD.
Leonardo da Vinci