Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Motech crash bars  (Read 234 times)

Offline The Mountie

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 1050 Sport 2017
  • City / Town: Woking, surrey
Motech crash bars
« on: 11 October, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
I hope this is the right area to post this.
I am fitting crash bars but getting to the rear engine mounting bolt nuts is a mare! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help?
I have an ABBA skylift if that's any help.

Online Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Re: Motech crash bars
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by The Mountie [+]
I am fitting crash bars but getting to the rear engine mounting bolt nuts is a mare! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help?

The rear bolts are difficult, I don't think I've ever dropped the nut so often. I think I found them easier to access the bolts from the rear, getting your hand up next to the rear shock.
The Skylift might mean you get less back ache, but the nuts will bounce further when you drop them  :138:
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »
Putting them back on to the correct torque setting is even tougher  :232:

I was very lucky that I didn't drop any of the rear nuts. You also need to ensure you tighten them in the correct order, so as to reduce the chance of annoying vibrations.

Good luck  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2019, 03:39:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by The Mountie [+]

Installing the SW Motech crash bars was one of the most difficult things i've done on my 2012. Having a friend to assist is a big help. A long flex socket extension also helps.

For what its worth, when I had my rear shock off this past winter it was super easy to take those rear bolts out. I took the opportunity to apply blue antilock and torque them to spec. Two of the bolts had loosened up a bit in the two years since I installed the bars, so I was glad I took the time this winter. My experience makes me wonder if it would be worth pulling the rear shock to make access to the rear bolts easier since it really wasn't tough or time consuming to do.
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by JohnnyWheels [+]
Installing the SW Motech crash bars was one of the most difficult things i've done on my 2012. Having a friend to assist is a big help. A long flex socket extension also helps.

For what its worth, when I had my rear shock off this past winter it was super easy to take those rear bolts out. I took the opportunity to apply blue antilock and torque them to spec. Two of the bolts had loosened up a bit in the two years since I installed the bars, so I was glad I took the time this winter. My experience makes me wonder if it would be worth pulling the rear shock to make access to the rear bolts easier since it really wasn't tough or time consuming to do.

That's excellent. Thanks for the 'Heads-up'  :062:

I check my bolts regularly and I'd rather not have to  :110:.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:39:54 AM »
I was thinking rear engine mounts???  Then realised its motech bars, the Triumph bars only use the front ones, still tricky bastards
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS