Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from Sunny MK  (Read 438 times)

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: Hello from Sunny MK
« Reply #10 on: 08 October, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »
 :401: from not far away in Banbury  :031:
Surprised to hear of the issues with the latest model, all the other owners have been singing its praises  :084:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #11 on: 08 October, 2019, 09:53:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
:401: from not far away in Banbury  :031:
Surprised to hear of the issues with the latest model, all the other owners have been singing its praises  :084:
:401:
Check for dirty air filter. Mine had a very slight flat spot at around 5.5k. Was never really noticeable unless I really got on the gas with the baffle out (aftermarket can). Turned out the stock filter wasn't letting enough air in to take advantage of the freer exhaust. A dirty filter might exaggerate that.
My mirrors weren't too bad but noticeable (and I had a similar approach to Tim  :745:). Could never find a permanent fix until I replaced the mirrors with Aprilia ones. Mine got scratched and can't polish scratches out because they are plastic. The Aprilia ones were a third of the price of Triumph ones and don't wobble. Just be aware that the bike has a LH thread on the right mirror and Aprilias don't so you will need an adaptor - or helicoil. Search for shiver mirrors because they are the same on all models.

I fitted a Palmer products gear shift lever. One of the best mods I have made.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline SomeOldMan50

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: MK
« Reply #12 on: 08 October, 2019, 10:37:15 PM »
Hey, the midrange is okay , just a bit flat, I tried a GSF 1000F, great engine but terrible throttle response at low revs

Tried a multistrada (mental), s1000xr (too expensive ) versys (too dull)

The Tiger Sport is good mix, not mental like a multistrada however not as good as the s1000xr, but much cheaper

compared to both the multistrada and s1000xr, the TS is certainly one generation behind in terms of tech, but that's no bad thing, I did check with my local dealer to see there would be an updated version with TFT display keyless ignit ion  etc etc, but local dealer seemed to think the Tiger Sport is a run out model which makes sense when you look at what Triumph are doing with the Speed Triple,  765, Tiger 800, Tiger Explorer etc

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »
Sad to hear that. I also think too much tech is a bad thing, especially after speaking to GS owners who are giving up on their latest watercooled models and going back to the simpler oil-cooled version, as they're more reliable.

Offline SomeOldMan50

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: MK
« Reply #14 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
So overall I've been just a bit disappointed with the Tigers overall performance, it's just not has the level of 'oommph' I was expecting for a 120 + BHP bike, so put thd bike in 'Sport' mode on way home tonight,  much, much better, crisp thottle response, much better mid range, also no perceptible lag when moving from closed thottle to positive drive.
  According to the manual, power output in road and sport mode are the same, but it feels stronger from 6k up and pulls much more as I was expecting.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #15 on: 10 October, 2019, 09:48:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by SomeOldMan50 [+]
So overall I've been just a bit disappointed with the Tigers overall performance, it's just not has the level of 'oommph' I was expecting for a 120 + BHP bike, so put thd bike in 'Sport' mode on way home tonight,  much, much better, crisp thottle response, much better mid range, also no perceptible lag when moving from closed thottle to positive drive.
  According to the manual, power output in road and sport mode are the same, but it feels stronger from 6k up and pulls much more as I was expecting.
Whoops - forgot to mention that. Mine never gets moved out of sport mode, not even if its snowing. Yes the map is identical but the response feels much better because the traction control is muted, so the ECU needs to spend less time thinking about whether it needs to apply traction control before doing what you asked it to.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #16 on: 11 October, 2019, 07:57:02 AM »
As a general comment, my modded MKI Tiger 1050 didn't have any flat spots at all.

I enjoy my 2018 Sport model most, when I turn off the electronic gismos.

Thinking about a PC or HT upgrade.

'Rain Mode' is just one enormous flat spot   :151:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Online Foxes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport 17
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2019, 07:16:19 PM »
Is that not the whole point of Rain mode

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2019, 08:48:59 PM »
IMHO rain mode is dangerous. It does not change the fuelling but adds loads of traction control so you get massive throttle lag. It only cuts the power at the top end, so when you are overtaking  it just suddenly stops accelerating like hitting into the rev limiter, which may well be all it is doing. When I first got the bike I did an experiment at a steady 60mph for an entire tank to see if it used any less fuel - it didn't.

Online Foxes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport 17
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »
I've only used it once on the Explorer I had for 6 months and found it quite good to use on the tight twisty roads in the Coramandel 2 up with luggage, in heavy rain, but yes I would not use it, on normal average roads. I use Sport most of the time and when the wife is on the back sometimes I go to Road Mode.