Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gremlins in my HID upgrade kit  (Read 186 times)

Offline Richiek65

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Sydney
Gremlins in my HID upgrade kit
« on: 07 October, 2019, 02:57:48 AM »
Hi all

Bought my 2007 Tiger in May, it came with HIDs.
Everything worked fine for the first few months, but now I've got issues, have had two mechanics investigate but they say it's gonna be time consuming to chase it down, so hoping I can get some opinions on where to start looking first.
Currently, high beam only works very occasionally. With the motor off, when i switch from low to high beam, I hear a high pitched chirp coming from somewhere in the cowling. On the occasions that the high beam does actually illuminate, I don't hear the chirp. Yesterday, as I was fooling around with it, i also noticed that sometimes the heated handgrips power indicator that were only installed a couple of months ago flickers for half a second as i flick the high beam switch..

Occasionally, neither low OR high beam work. Very frustrating..

Any idea where the chirp might be coming from - a relay for instance? I thought it may have been coming from the HID ballast but it seems to be somewhere in the cowling as i mentioned..I'm totally clueless for anything electrical btw..

Cheers in advance

Richard

« Last Edit: 07 October, 2019, 03:03:19 AM by Richiek65 »

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Gremlins in my HID upgrade kit
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »
First, unclamp your LH handlebar switch from the bar and give everything inside a good spray around with WD40/GT85, working all the switches at the same time (ignition off, of course). I was surprised at how exposed the switchgear inside is, and I had noticeable issues after riding 50 miles in monsoon rain conditions last week (into London would you believe).

Then make sure your battery is really fully charged.

After that, note that as standard there is no headlamp relay on your bike. You may have one fitted under there that came with the kit, and it may be a cheap Chinese thing that is breaking down.

How many miles? And is your bike subject to humidity at all? e.g not used often, condensation on it outside or in a garage. I suspect that handlebar switch may have some corrosion in there.

Offline Richiek65

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Gremlins in my HID upgrade kit
« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2019, 11:56:55 AM »
Thanks Paullie, I'll get onto that when I've next got a few hours clear, which won't be for a few weeks..
I'm considering ordering a replacement HID Kit to have all the parts at hand if I need to replace anything?
Bike has 65000 KMs, is only ridden once a month or so, it's kept on a trickle charger when in the garage. Not humid where I am since the bike arrived but will be in a month or two.
Thanks for replying!