Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lowering kit plates , link or both  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Lowering kit plates , link or both
« Reply #10 on: 07 October, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by meadland [+]
Nice work with the side stand, I don't have a TIG but I have a MIG that I'm pretty handy with so I think I could pull that off.
Did you notice any problems with ground clearance after the lowering kit?
I guess I would have to either shorten the center stand or only use it at home with a stepped plank.
With 25 mm you only need a relatively thin piece of wood (a plank), that you roll the rear wheel onto before using the centre stand - makes it easy. And simple to keep in the garage. I had no problem with the sidestand angle even with the lowering.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2019, 12:00:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
With 25 mm you only need a relatively thin piece of wood (a plank), that you roll the rear wheel onto before using the centre stand - makes it easy. And simple to keep in the garage. I had no problem with the sidestand angle even with the lowering.

Same here, still got a decent lean on side stand. This old fart can pop it on centre stand without plank when needs be. The plank is in position when I roll into the garage though, why struggle when ya don't have to.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline 07_1050_ABS

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: '07 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: NorCal
« Reply #12 on: 07 October, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »
No Issues with ground clearance, but I'm not an overly aggressive rider.

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
« Reply #13 on: 10 October, 2019, 01:50:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by meadland [+]
Thanks for the replies and advice guys paul2bikes  I have sent MIck an e-mail to see if he still has some plates lying around.

Hey John when you had the 35 mm plates on did you have to do anything with the center/side stand height ? that would be my only concern with the 35 mm plates I think other than that I would love them. I am only 5'9 so tiptoes or police stop is my world right now. Ill PM you if thats OK
Sorry for the delay in replying - been working and traveling this week.

With the 35 mm plates I felt the bike was too upright for my liking. I took the side stand to a local welder and had him shorten it by 3/4 inch.

With the center stand I just used a short length of 2x4 lumber - rolled the back tire onto the board and that made it easy to lift it onto the center stand.
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Gooza

• Tiger Member
  • Slow Poke
  • Bike/Model: White 2010 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: 30 October, 2019, 01:03:18 AM »
I saw a post further up stating they also dropped the front like 25mm???

I put 25mm lowering links in my 2010 Tiger the day I got it home.

The paperwork stated to drop the forks 10mm through the triple tree which is what I did.

I have no issues getting the bike on the centre stand, though it does require a little more effort.  Bike still has enough lean on the side stand.

But you can grind the centre stand a little easier when its lower, and a lot easier when 2 up in the mountains  :028:

Offline meadland

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger 1050 Red
  • City / Town: Prescott Arizona
« Reply #15 on: 30 October, 2019, 04:32:17 AM »
Hey Gooza
I ended up buying the Lust Racing 25mm kit and I am very happy with the results.
Instructions are very comprehensive and easy to follow they recommend lowering the front by 12mm with 25mm plates.  I find the bike way easier to manage in situations where I have to paddle it like backing into a parking spot.
Seems to handle just the same otherwise, side stand still works fine and I use a plank of wood to use the center stand although with some effort it can be used without the wood.

Offline pcarnut

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #16 on: 12 November, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »
Late to the party on this one but I think the 25mm was the right call.  I changed out the plates for a friend on her 1050 and felt it handled better afterwards so did the same on mine.  I think I might touch a foot peg a little sooner but not very often.  Sidestand works fine, and a little more effort with the centerstand, or a plank.  Welcome to the club, this bike is one of the best all-around machines I've ridden in 50 years on bikes.
2018 Tiger 1200
2014 TEx
2011 1050 SE
1984 R100S Last Edition

Online Sam Platt

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2018
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #17 on: 25 November, 2019, 10:42:39 PM »
I`ve just ordered a set of LUST 25mm lower kit. Are they easy enough to fit with wheel removed and on the centre stand? I`m fairly mechanically minded with a decent tool kit, I will regrease all the bearings and bushes on reassembly. Can someone tell me the torque settings for the front fork triple clamp bolts please. Thanks
PS 2018 model.

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #18 on: 25 November, 2019, 11:16:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sam Platt [+]
I`ve just ordered a set of LUST 25mm lower kit. Are they easy enough to fit with wheel removed and on the centre stand? I`m fairly mechanically minded with a decent tool kit, I will regrease all the bearings and bushes on reassembly. Can someone tell me the torque settings for the front fork triple clamp bolts please. Thanks
PS 2018 model.

20Nm for the triple clamp, top and bottom.  55Nm for all the rear plate mounts, Triumph say you should use new nuts (Metal lock type) but as long as you cant spin em on by hand  you should be ok.

Oh yeah, easy job, put a jack under the swingarm to just take the weight off, but you shouldnt fully tighten until wheel is back on the ground
« Last Edit: 25 November, 2019, 11:20:41 PM by Timbox »
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Gooza

• Tiger Member
  • Slow Poke
  • Bike/Model: White 2010 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: 26 November, 2019, 01:08:03 AM »
No need to remove the wheel, just put it on the centre stand, and place a few pieces of board/ply on the floor under the rear wheel/tyre to stop it dropping like a rock when you remove the 1st bolt.