Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tuning advice please.  (Read 668 times)

Offline Pman

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Hartwell, Ga
Tuning advice please.
« on: 01 October, 2019, 02:17:42 AM »
So, I just bought this 2010 Tiger 1050 with 29k.  I've been searching for days and answers are spread everywhere.   So here's what I've noticed,  what I've got, and what I want to do, but I'd like some of you Gurus to chime in.

Ok, my bike was having a huge vibration, or chatter in 6th gear around light throttle.  Checked tire pressure and lubes the chain.  Went on a 350 mile ride and it was barely noticable.  Couldn't determine if it was timing chain, or serious spark knock.  Then I went on another 200 mile trip and it got worse.  Turns out...the chain needed tightening causing the chatter to resonate from what I thought was the engine.   New chain and sprockets are on the way.

In the meantime I have bought/ordered alot of things.

It is stock.  Stock airbox, snorkel, pipe, nothing performance or suggested modifications to the way it runs.  Ordered TuneECU and pulled current log.  It has a 20548.

So...here is my 1st question.  I have a 19/44 sprocket combo.  The speedometer is balls dead on perfect GPS verified.   So, does that mean that someone had tuned a correction into the ECU, or is it just luck?  Or, does it have some kind of correction module on it somewhere?  Will a new tune erase a speedo correction? 

If I block off and remove the SAI, what else do I have to do?  Do I need the healtech pair system eliminator module, or just put in a non SAI tune?

I have bought new Irridium plugs, K&N or BMC filter, Arrow street can, gutting the CAT, removing or modifying the airbox/snorkel, and the PAIR removal module......so which tune should I be using? 

What else am I missing to make this the most enjoyable machine?  I live in Northeast Georgia,  USA.  665 ft elevation.   But usually ride between 1200 to 6000 ft mountains.  Sport/spirited weekends. 

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Re: Tuning advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2019, 12:48:00 PM »
 :401:

You say the issue is in 6th. gear under light throttle. Curious, what RPM's are you turning when this occurs? Is the motor lugging? The 19T front sprocket is a popular mod to lower the RPM's slightly at any given speed. I have done this too, it makes the engine a little less busy at high speeds ((closed course only :164:). My spedo is spot on with the 19T, the stock 18T gave a slightly high reading.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Pman

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2019, 02:55:25 PM »
Actually.....it was not lugging.....it was just that loose.  The seller was about 350 lbs, so the sag with his weight tightened the chain up....but with me....it was just that loose.  And didn't appear that he ever lubed it.  So, I'm starting from new.

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:11:44 PM »

The chain needs to be looser than the manual states. Try loosening it some more.

I am hoping that the vibration is not engine tune related.

Why don't you hook up to the ECU with TuneECU and check which tune you are running. There may be an update  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]

The chain needs to be looser than the manual states. Try loosening it some more.

Why don't you hook up to the ECU with TuneECU and check which tune you are running. There may be an update  :031:

Uhh, he has, its in his first post. Take more water with it YD :745:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2019, 12:39:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Pman [+]
.....here is my 1st question.  I have a 19/44 sprocket combo.  The speedometer is balls dead on perfect GPS verified.   So, does that mean that someone had tuned a correction into the ECU, or is it just luck?  Or, does it have some kind of correction module on it somewhere?  Will a new tune erase a speedo correction? 

As Gosling has pointed out changing the standard 18T front sprocket for a 19T puts the speedometer just about spot on.

And since TuneECU has a speedometer adjust function it may well have been fine tuned by a PO.

Offline Pman

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2019, 01:56:56 AM »
Ok, so I can adjust it if necessary.........but.....does the speedometer adjust function follow the tune or map, or is it a separate entity within Tune ECU.  So, if it had been adjusted .....and I replace the tune, does it go back to stock?

Offline Pman

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2019, 02:03:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]

So.....yes....I was originally thinking it was the tune which is why I started all this anyway.  I pulled the log that was already loaded on the bike and it is a 20548.  So, based on my list of mods.....what do you gurus think my tune should be? 
Searching gets me too many opinions.   Surely someone can just tell me as I know some of you have countless hours of testing what does and doesn't work.

Offline Gooza

• Tiger Member
  • Slow Poke
  • Bike/Model: White 2010 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2019, 06:07:18 AM »
Ok, so I can adjust it if necessary.........but.....does the speedometer adjust function follow the tune or map, or is it a separate entity within Tune ECU.  So, if it had been adjusted .....and I replace the tune, does it go back to stock?

Speedo adjustment is tied to the Tune you upload.

Offline Gooza

• Tiger Member
  • Slow Poke
  • Bike/Model: White 2010 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2019, 06:13:45 AM »
So.....yes....I was originally thinking it was the tune which is why I started all this anyway.  I pulled the log that was already loaded on the bike and it is a 20548.  So, based on my list of mods.....what do you gurus think my tune should be? 
Searching gets me too many opinions.   Surely someone can just tell me as I know some of you have countless hours of testing what does and doesn't work.

Id go the aftermarket (TOR) Tune.  20549  It will run a little richer but overall should be much smoother.

20548Map.hex OEM           Tiger 1050 up to VIN 535378 Production silencer with secondary air injection Fuel up to E25 Minimum 95 RON (89 RON/MON) fuel         <<<   Your current tune                                                                                                                                     

20549Map.hex OEM           Tiger 1050 up to VIN 535378 Triumph aftermarket silencer with secondary air injection Fuel up to E25 Minimum 95RON (89 RON/MON) fuel                <<  TOR Tune