Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Beware Old Screens  (Read 350 times)

Offline TigerSteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Scorched Yellow
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
Beware Old Screens
« on: 18 September, 2019, 11:49:46 PM »
Guys,
A long time since I last pasted here but thought I had something worth sharing...

I've still got my old 07 Tiger and did struggle with excess noise from the screen area. I bought the large Givi screen which was a vast improvement. When the Palmer adjustable screen system appeared I added that to my big Givi screen and the pair worked even better. All this was with a year or two of me getting my Tiger. So, where am I going with this?

Well, I thought it worth injecting a bit of caution regarding alternate screens, in my case the big Givi screen. Having just passed the annual (UK) MOT the man was backing my Tiger out of the test bay and caught the screen on the workshop plastic curtains. The screen snapped almost in half.

In essence the screen was at least 10~11 years old, it lived in my garage and must have seen about 18-Kmiles worth of daylight. Examining the bits they were all very brittle. Little bits broke off easily. My point is that this could be something to watch out for on older Tigers and certainly anything with an aging Givi screen.

The MOT guy was horrified and offered to buy me a new screen. This offer may well have changed once his shock settled down. However, I took the view that he may have actually saved me from a catastrophic dismount at high speed as my aging large screen broke up possibly taking my head with it. Like everything screens are ultimately disposable.

I am now trying to adjust to the OEM screen on the Palmer mount but with the Givi spoiler on the top which seems to help a bit.

So, be aware that old screens can get brittle. When they break at speed remember to duck.
Scorched Yellow Tiger + Palmer Screen, SWMo Bars & Givi E55 box.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Beware Old Screens
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2019, 09:13:58 AM »
Good heads up there, scary thought eh. Could take yer head off.  :005:
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: Beware Old Screens
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »
Cheers for the heads up tigersteve,  I have the same givi screen and palmer bracket on my 2010 SE. Got the givi screen from UKWes last June.
Its still in good nick after about 25,000 miles since then.
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.