Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Commuters go faster  (Read 315 times)

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Commuters go faster
« on: 12 September, 2019, 10:52:43 PM »
And now I have proof.
Spent a very pleasant summer off work and did a lot of riding just for fun (Nice change - my contract gaps usually seem to happen midwinter  :004:). Had the stock screen in the low position and rode with a peaked helmet with no problems all summer.

Started my new gig today and had to go into the big smoke for my induction. Parked next to a nice looking white '13 Sport in Minories (no pics because my bike was bit grubby and I know that offends some). Usual 30+ miles of constant filtering on the way in. Found myself on a decent flowing motorway on the way home. K'nell - thought my head was going to get ripped off when I did a lifesaver. Still a few weeks before the barn door gets put back on for winter. Thankfully the new office is 25 minutes away without going anywhere near a motorway.

P.S. Hi Mike
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Commuters go faster
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2019, 05:50:59 AM »
Funnily enough Sean I bought a Puig Race screen, as they call it, for the KaTooM. Has been lovely all summer, loads of air flow and has been totally acceptable even on Motorways, unless I turn my head, bingo,  same thing with the peak :008:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2019, 07:55:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Funnily enough Sean I bought a Puig Race screen, as they call it, for the KaTooM. Has been lovely all summer, loads of air flow and has been totally acceptable even on Motorways, unless I turn my head, bingo,  same thing with the peak :008:
Yeah - mine's ok on the motorway up to about 85 although you can feel it above 80. When you're riding for fun 85 is getting a move on. When you are escaping London on the way home from work ...  :007:

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2019, 03:40:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
And now I have proof.
Spent a very pleasant summer off work and did a lot of riding just for fun (Nice change - my contract gaps usually seem to happen midwinter  :004:). Had the stock screen in the low position and rode with a peaked helmet with no problems all summer.

Started my new gig today and had to go into the big smoke for my induction. Parked next to a nice looking white '13 Sport in Minories (no pics because my bike was bit grubby and I know that offends some). Usual 30+ miles of constant filtering on the way in. Found myself on a decent flowing motorway on the way home. K'nell - thought my head was going to get ripped off when I did a lifesaver. Still a few weeks before the barn door gets put back on for winter. Thankfully the new office is 25 minutes away without going anywhere near a motorway.

P.S. Hi Mike

Haha, yes that will be mine.   Surprised you could tell it was white, haven't washed it for months!!   It's due it's 54k service in a week or two, it's filthy but running well considering it's done more miles in 6 years than many bikes ever will.   Sounds like your main office will be closer to home though?

Did you happen to notice an little old silver Honda 250 SuperDream next to it?   That's my colleague's, he's just rebuilt it from a collection of two or three broken ones, with extra bits from eBay.    He loves it.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
Haha, yes that will be mine.   Surprised you could tell it was white, haven't washed it for months!!   It's due it's 54k service in a week or two, it's filthy but running well considering it's done more miles in 6 years than many bikes ever will.   Sounds like your main office will be closer to home though?

Did you happen to notice an little old silver Honda 250 SuperDream next to it?   That's my colleague's, he's just rebuilt it from a collection of two or three broken ones, with extra bits from eBay.    He loves it.
Yeah _ I did think yours might cause more offense than mine but thought it best not to mention  :001:
I had a long look at the little Honda. One of my early bikes was the 400 version in the same colour, probably an 80 or 81 model???). I do have fond memories of it but they sell for silly money nowadays  :004:.
« Last Edit: 13 September, 2019, 07:29:23 PM by seangee »

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »

And yet, 9k a year, doesnt sound that much really does it. Im on target for about 20k in the first year on the KTM, 6 months old and at 13500. :001:

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2019, 08:37:18 AM »
Youre right, but it spent a year or so parked up at my sisters while we had a load of building work done to our house.  Nowhere to keep it at the time.  So more like 11-12k a year when its actually used.

Hoping that will drop a bit actually.   My company is finally waking up to the benefits of working from home a bit more, so am doing a day a week from there now.   If I commuted by train that would make no financial difference at all (season tickets being valid by date, not actual use) but on the bike it cuts travel costs by 20%.

Good work putting that many miles on in six months!

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2019, 08:50:43 AM »
Commuting does pile it on.
My average is coming down quite rapidly, courtesy  of a 6 month break and my new gig is around 12 miles from home. Biggest reason for the break was I'm no longer willing to put up with riding into London every day and good gigs locally don't come up that often. Must confess I can think of far better things to do with my days but full retirement is not going to happen until I have no mortgage - which is still a few years off.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2019, 09:51:38 AM »
Youre right, but it spent a year or so parked up at my sisters while we had a load of building work done to our house.  Nowhere to keep it at the time.  So more like 11-12k a year when its actually used.

Hoping that will drop a bit actually.   My company is finally waking up to the benefits of working from home a bit more, so am doing a day a week from there now.   If I commuted by train that would make no financial difference at all (season tickets being valid by date, not actual use) but on the bike it cuts travel costs by 20%.

Good work putting that many miles on in six months!

Being a KTM my idea is to put as much on in the 2 year warranty period, its paying already, the Torque Limiter (Think as a type sprag clutch) has started to fail and is booked in for replacement next week. At 3-4k a year that probably wouldnt have reared its head for another 3 years