Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What Shock Are You Using On Your 1050 Tiger? How do you like it?  (Read 3473 times)

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
  • Bike/Model: 1050 SE ABS 2010
  • City / Town: Chesnee
Re: What Shock Are You Using On Your 1050 Tiger? How do you like it?
« Reply #20 on: 13 February, 2020, 02:42:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grouchybastard [+]
Ordered mine through my dealer last Tuesday..............nothing said about being out of stock.  5 to 7 business days is what he told me.  Now ya got me wondering ...... :027:
Now I've not been know for my patience.  I would contact the dealer and ask him about the ship date.  I'd also ask when they charged your credit card if you used one.  The two dealers I talked to contacted Ohlins directly to give me the info above.  Took all of five minutes.   Also both Sprortbike Track Gear and Revzilla told me not to hold my breath on when they could get the Ohlins. 

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
« Reply #21 on: 13 February, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by fjrod [+]
Now I've not been know for my patience.  I would contact the dealer and ask him about the ship date.  I'd also ask when they charged your credit card if you used one.  The two dealers I talked to contacted Ohlins directly to give me the info above.  Took all of five minutes.   Also both Sprortbike Track Gear and Revzilla told me not to hold my breath on when they could get the Ohlins.

In transit is what I'm told......He was able to snag one of the last ones in stock.   :028: 
But it's not in my hot little hand yet..............I usually don't have that kind of luck.  :012:

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
« Reply #22 on: 14 February, 2020, 02:52:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grouchybastard [+]
In transit is what I'm told......He was able to snag one of the last ones in stock.   :028: 
But it's not in my hot little hand yet..............I usually don't have that kind of luck.  :012:
Hope it arrives in a time frame that meets your needs.  You ordered a couple days ahead of when I did my web searching.  You and I have been cursed with the "expectation" gene.  There are times I'm ready to ambush the mailman  :745:

I've got everything on hold till mine arrives.  Going to do air box mod, add Delkevic can, remove cat, take out the SAI all at the same time when it arrives.  Of course that is when the adventure really begins.  Got to do a remap and take it to the suspension shop to take a look at my front end.   :112: 

Offline pcarnut

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #23 on: 17 March, 2020, 10:04:05 PM »
Hope it arrives in a time frame that meets your needs.  You ordered a couple days ahead of when I did my web searching.  You and I have been cursed with the "expectation" gene.  There are times I'm ready to ambush the mailman  :745:

I've got everything on hold till mine arrives.  Going to do air box mod, add Delkevic can, remove cat, take out the SAI all at the same time when it arrives.  Of course that is when the adventure really begins.  Got to do a remap and take it to the suspension shop to take a look at my front end.   :112:
Very interested to hear how you like the Nitron.  Had an Ohlins on an FJ09 and it was a definite upgrade, but was not quite as impressed as I'd hoped.  If I keep the 1050 instead of getting the new 900 Tiger, the Nitron is at the top of my list.  As an aside, a few years back I put a Hagon on an FJR and was very happy with that shock, for the money I thought it was a good buy.
2018 Tiger 1200
2014 TEx
2011 1050 SE
1984 R100S Last Edition

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
« Reply #24 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:19:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
Very interested to hear how you like the Nitron.  Had an Ohlins on an FJ09 and it was a definite upgrade, but was not quite as impressed as I'd hoped.  If I keep the 1050 instead of getting the new 900 Tiger, the Nitron is at the top of my list.  As an aside, a few years back I put a Hagon on an FJR and was very happy with that shock, for the money I thought it was a good buy.
Nitron is on but not enough miles on twisties to make a sweeping judgement.  Definitely better than stock, but the main thing it did show me was that forks need work.  Forks should be on this weekend and full blown test ride will be some time next week.  I will let you know what happens.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #25 on: 18 March, 2020, 12:54:52 PM »
Nitron is on but not enough miles on twisties to make a sweeping judgement.  Definitely better than stock, but the main thing it did show me was that forks need work.  Forks should be on this weekend and full blown test ride will be some time next week.  I will let you know what happens.
I definitely found that with my Wilbers. It highlighted how bad the front was and it was only once I sorted out the valving that I felt the real benefit.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
« Reply #26 on: 25 March, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »
 Put about 150 all twisty miles on.  Suspension feels great.  Rider is definitely rusty though.  Rainy and cool weather has kept me from getting out more.  We've got sunny days into the 70's predicted for the next couple days so maybe I can scrape that rust off a bit.   My suspension shop told me to go out and just ride without toubhing anything for a while and then bring it in and they will go over my setup.   I'm going to measure sag today but not change anything before visiting them.  :300:

Offline Saxon

• Tiger Member
  • Do it while you still can!
  • Bike/Model: 08 Tiger 1050 Naranja
  • City / Town: SF Bay
« Reply #27 on: 26 March, 2020, 04:34:25 AM »
I installed the Penske triple clicker, 8987, remote reservoir, hi speed compression, regular compression, and dampening.  Had it resprung to 900 lbs and have had the shims professionally done 3 times to soften up the high speed compression further (twice at Evolutions Suspensions and once at Catalyst Reaction).

I have them set the sags, compression and rebound.  Plus I have .95 springs from Race Tech as well as their Gold Valves in the front.

A moderate improvement in sudden pavement changes.  I tried a 950 lbs spring to see if I could get it to float more in the middle third, very subtle improvement.

Catalyst Reactions said that the Penske triple clicker was more designed for the track and the shims are dished, so I may not get the high speed compliance as compared to the Ohlins.

Well, I recently found a new in box TR7041 on craigslist which I will be installing and let you know how it goes.

My gut tells me part of the harsh high speed compression is because of an aging back and the upright riding position.  I have gone to a lower bar riser and have swept the bars back & low so that has helped a bit.  If the ride does not improve more, I may sell the bike and stick with forward lean sport tourers which my back loves, Ducati ST3s with Heli risers.  I sat on the new Ducati Supersport and it feels just like my ST3s in body positioning, but doesn't have the large bags like the ST.

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
« Reply #28 on: 29 March, 2020, 12:14:13 AM »
Excellent information.  Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I've actually been riding.  Can you believe it?   Went to Fast Bike Industries (FBI) yesterday and they got my sag in the ball park.  Nitron wasn't a problem, just measure and crank it.  It was real close, 50mm and they took it to 45.  The front is more complicated.  It is at 45mm but the preload is beyond my pea brain's comprehension.  Bottom line is that it is a bid slow on turn in.  I need to talk to them some more before I screw something up.  Bottom line is if you don't want to play Ricky Racer it is fine now.  What I'm not clear about is that the guy who rebuilt the shock recommended that I move the forks in the triple tree a tad to get the turn in right rather than screw around with the preload.  He cranked the compression to improve the turn in first but I'm not following what he is doing.

Offline Saxon

• Tiger Member
  • Do it while you still can!
  • Bike/Model: 08 Tiger 1050 Naranja
  • City / Town: SF Bay
« Reply #29 on: 29 March, 2020, 04:07:12 AM »
Hi Fjord,

At the last rebuild in summer, I had 1/4" spacer internally to lower the rear shock 1/2".  Rode that around summer and fall and I did not notice a change in ride quality - good thing.  To compensate for the lower back height, I lowered the fork triple clamps by 1/2" in late fall.  My goodness, gone was the sluggish turn in and it just felt more responsive all around, even when the front tire pressures approached down to 32 psi.  Previously, I had to keep the front at 35 to keep the front not sluggish in tight switch backs or traffic light turns.

Now, at the same time I did replace the worn Pilot 4's with lower cost Michelin CT's.  My gut tells me that lowering the front end was what made the crisp turn in response.