Author Topic: What Shock Are You Using On Your 1050 Tiger? How do you like it?  (Read 4035 times)

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Re: What Shock Are You Using On Your 1050 Tiger? How do you like it?
Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2019, 01:13:21 AM
First observation: Listen to Indy. But......

My shock is an Ohlins unit originally aimed at a BMW F800S, I think. It's the identical length but needed a re-valve and an adapter on the lower end. I got it cheepazchips, with a remote preload adjuster, and was brand new, ordered incorrectly by the buyer. Ohlins USA turned it into a perfect match for the 1050 unit, performance wise. I fitted my own 160 N/mm spring (120N/mm is pathetic as supplied) and some dress up parts and had a custom shock for less than the TR704. The BWM spring was 200N/mm! The best part was that this has the gas reservoir built into the body of the shock. Mounting the remote reservoir takes up major space. I sold my TR704 (minor use, also bought at a discount off this site) and paid for a brand new shock, spring compressor, custom spring, etc. with the proceeds. Yeah, it was a bit of a project but the shock on my bike is a work of art. The 'free' preload collar (which is just an expanding hydraulic collar that can be fitted to any shock) was a bonus dress-up part that looks cool. I never use it but it is removable so has a pseudo future, in my dreams. When I roll my bike off the center stand I bet I have less than 10mm of sag with zero preload. The handling is obviously firm but that's the point! I can hit a pothole and this setup just smiles. Cornering is on rails. I followed the Ohlins recommendations for damping and have had no reason to adjust it. All the old fidgety corrugation and ripple crossing is gone. I can gas it off a corner at an angle, leaned over, and it just tightens up and points forward in a straight line. I like Ohlins for the look, engineering and color. Yellow goes well with everything. Also, its ultra-light. The weight is in the spring. The rest is like a little butterfly, all dainty and precise. I guess I sound a little biased but here in the USA this shock became a product of incredible support from Ohlins USA and my quest for something special at a discount. It worked for me.     
Last Edit: 12 September, 2019, 01:47:27 AM by ZuluTiger

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 1050 SE ABS 2010
  • City / Town: Chesnee
Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2019, 02:25:39 AM
Back when I wanted the best that I could afford, I bought a HyperPro 461 because I got it for about $700 brand new.  I called Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop and we talked shocks for over an hour.  I highly recommend that you give Ted a call if you are serious about a "do it all" shock.  Some of the things I learned about Ohlin and Penske were flat eye opening.  Ted sells and maintains them too..  The only thing that I will pass on from that conversation is that you can buy a Yacugar or YSS (we didn't talk about Wilbers or Nitron, you can't talk about everything LOL) and get a shock that out performs and outlasts Penske and Ohlins.

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Gordonton
Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2019, 08:22:57 PM
When I got my 07 last year it came with an Ohlins rear and Ohlins front springs and lowered about 40mm. Guy I bought it off is a similar build to me and its just great. First bike I've had that's had top shelf suspension on it. In the year I've had it I haven't changed a single setting front or rear it just feels so right. To be fair i have no stock frame of reference to compare it to though.
07 Tiger 1050, K&N Air Filter, Snorkel Removed, Stock Exhaust, 20551 Map, NGK Iridium Plugs, Ricks R/R, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Front Springs, Bar End Mirrors, Leather Seat Cover, Ebay Levers, Ebay Risers, Custom Bars.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #13 on: 19 September, 2019, 01:21:52 AM
*Originally Posted by Cloudy [+]
When I got my 07 last year it came with an Ohlins rear and Ohlins front springs and lowered about 40mm. Guy I bought it off is a similar build to me and its just great. First bike I've had that's had top shelf suspension on it. In the year I've had it I haven't changed a single setting front or rear it just feels so right. To be fair i have no stock frame of reference to compare it to though.
  Fantastic,

Ohlins are great, nice color and performance, but you pay for both.

I just wanted performance.

(got Ohlin's on my Kawi, really nice kit would never think of changing it)
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Bondo

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Maple Ridge, BC
Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2019, 01:06:22 AM
Ohlins all the way on my '08.  Made a world of difference. 

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2020, 12:20:24 AM
Pulled the trigger on a Nitron R1.  Had ordered an Ohlin TR044 but they were out of stock everywhere and delivery date was at least a month out.  Did a lot of homework researching both of these shocks.  For a multitude of reasons I don't need remote reservoirs or adjusters.  Had both and know how I ridel  The USA distributors for Nitron and for Ohlins are both in Hendersonville, NC which is only an hour's drive away.  Also Traxxion Dynamics and Cogent Dynamics are close as well.  The price was about the same for both Ohlins and Nitron., but talked to several guys who worked at Ohlins and they recommended the Nitron.  Probably won't make a lot of difference either way.  I'll have a ride report if it ever stops raining and the temp rises a bit.

Online Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #16 on: 13 February, 2020, 12:25:03 AM
*Originally Posted by fjrod [+]
Pulled the trigger on a Nitron R1.  Had ordered an Ohlin TR044 but they were out of stock everywhere and delivery date was at least a month out.  Did a lot of homework researching both of these shocks.  For a multitude of reasons I don't need remote reservoirs or adjusters.  Had both and know how I ridel  The USA distributors for Nitron and for Ohlins are both in Hendersonville, NC which is only an hour's drive away.  Also Traxxion Dynamics and Cogent Dynamics are close as well.  The price was about the same for both Ohlins and Nitron., but talked to several guys who worked at Ohlins and they recommended the Nitron.  Probably won't make a lot of difference either way.  I'll have a ride report if it ever stops raining and the temp rises a bit.

Interesting.......I ordered the Ohlins last week and am expecting it the next day or so...........granted, I'm on the west coast, but  :084:

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: 13 February, 2020, 12:34:23 AM
Ohlins USA says three weeks.  Tried to order last Friday.  There are 13 on hand in Sweden.   Ebay has a lot in Italy that have delivery dates in in March.  Cogent Dynamics in NC told me ship date of March 15.  So who knows.  Funny thing is that particular shock is now made in Thailand.  Nitron will be here in two weeks from the UK. 

Online Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #18 on: 13 February, 2020, 12:42:47 AM
Ordered mine through my dealer last Tuesday..............nothing said about being out of stock.  5 to 7 business days is what he told me.  Now ya got me wondering ...... :027:

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
Reply #19 on: 13 February, 2020, 01:13:20 PM
I got Timbox's Wilber's shock with remote preload on a 2016 model.

Not a night and day difference, but feels more compliant.
Firm but without so much harshness if that makes sense
Other bikes: 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Husqvarna FE350 for green lanes, a Husqvarna 701 Enduro for TET and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun

reconstruction