Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What Shock Are You Using On Your 1050 Tiger? How do you like it?  (Read 683 times)

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
  • Bike/Model: 1050 SE ABS 2010
  • City / Town: Chesnee
What Shock Are You Using On Your 1050 Tiger? How do you like it?
« on: 10 September, 2019, 01:44:22 PM »
I've got a "new to me" 2011 1050 SE ABS with right on 25K miles.  I am going to swap out the fork oil today.  Why? It's over due and I'm putting in 15wt because I weigh 240 lbs.  I would like to put in HyperPro springs but they just don't feel all that bad.  Have put them in both a 2007 Tiger and an FJR with good results but my wild and wooly riding days are over.  In playing with several bikes my personal observation has been that the shock has had more impact on my riding than the forks.  Ok, I know, to get it right you need both.  Had to change them on the FJR because FJR shocks flat suck. I resprung Tigers with decent results but IMO the real answer id to replace it.  Not looking for a Penske Triple Clicker.  Rebound and Pre-load without an external reservoir are pretty much what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: What Shock Are You Using On Your 1050 Tiger? How do you like it?
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »
Got to be Wilbers, and if you wait till next month you'll get extra discount for Oktoberfest.  Ive had 3 Wilbers to date and as long as you tell them the correct weight/riding style it will be spot on
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online af1-windy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2019, 03:15:06 PM »
I've just fitted a YSS with remote reservoir built to my wight and riding style. After 400 miles it's feeling good, a little harsh over the bumps so I've got some tweaking to do. On the smooth (for the UK) roads I'm getting loads of feed back and lots of peg scraping. Plenty of confidence when pulling hard out of corners. I'd like to get it on a track, Cadwell or Croft would suit the this bike I reckon.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2019, 04:19:47 PM »
Lots of people like the Wilbers - I went with Nitron though.   Probably not a lot to choose between them, but I just went for the British company and I think it was a touch cheaper too.   Either way, you get it made for your weight and riding style, so you cant really go wrong.

Edit to add:   Just noticed youre in the US.   Probably you will have different options, as I doubt it would be cost effective to ship a shock that far if you have more local options...
« Last Edit: 10 September, 2019, 04:21:54 PM by Mike_B »

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »
What, nobody recommending Ohlins? It was a superb upgrade for me. I installed a remote preload adjuster and a rated spring but have never used the preload. 160N/mm spring is firm for my 220Lbs solo with no preload dialed in and changed the handling completely.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #5 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:07:07 AM »
Ohlins still make the TR044 shock for the '07-'12 Tigers, they discontinued the TR207 with the remote reservoir and hydraulic preload.

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2007-2012-triumph-tiger-1050-street-s46-shock-tr-044
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
  • Bike/Model: 1050 SE ABS 2010
  • City / Town: Chesnee
Deja vu All Over Again
« Reply #6 on: 11 September, 2019, 01:45:40 AM »
When I got my 2007 Tiger I did all the things I am trying to do now.  Trying not to make history repeat itself, but history does what history wants to do and you can't stop it  :020:

I have put on Penske double clickers and HyperPro do it all shocks; tried to covert forks into cartridge emulation or even cartridges.  What I learned was that no matter how many knobs and adjustments I had, once I got it set I rarely if ever adjusted anything again.  To make a long story short, I'm applying the KISS rule and making any changes SIMPLE, REAL SIMPLE. :028:

Offline toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #7 on: 11 September, 2019, 02:11:10 AM »
+1 for Nitron.  I have the cheapest model, the R1, does not have a remote preload & has rebound damping, transformed the bike and is still going strong.  A quality unit but half the price of an Ohlins.  As you say, haven't adjusted it since about the first month after I put it on about three years ago
Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  MRA screen + spoiler.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.  Would like to respring forks but would need to get divorced first.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #8 on: 11 September, 2019, 06:04:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
What, nobody recommending Ohlins? It was a superb upgrade for me. I installed a remote preload adjuster and a rated spring but have never used the preload. 160N/mm spring is firm for my 220Lbs solo with no preload dialed in and changed the handling completely.

Ohlins is great, the problem used to be that with an Ohlins you got what they thought was standard and if you wanted different springs etc it was down to whoever supplied the shock to change, not sure if thats changed now
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2019, 01:05:58 AM »
Penske triple clicker.

Spring's easy to change.  Max adjustability, and best bang for the buck. IMO.
Support the forum.   :031: