Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ludicrous Panniers & Luggage Systems  (Read 1197 times)

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Ludicrous Panniers & Luggage Systems
« on: 10 September, 2019, 02:12:54 AM »
Just a read the post with the video about the KTM rider hitting an oncoming car whilst overtaking across solid lines. Notwithstanding his stupidity I noticed a number of comments about how the width of his panniers kinda contributed to the carnage.

It made me want to comment about how ridiculously wide motorcycle luggage systems, especially panniers, have become. For the life of me I can't see the sense in riding a motorcycle with that much load carrying capacity. Big adventure bikes are the worst. BMW GSs, KTM ADVs I'm looking at you but Tiger 1050 is just as guilty. Years ago Krauser set the standard with panniers that were formed around the rear of the BMW /5 and /6 series so they didn't protrude that far. Even Gold wings and the like seem to integrate the panniers much better.

In 1980 (yes, I know) I rode around the world on a Honda CX500 with 2 modest leather panniers, a tank bag and a rear rack to carry the tent (see pic). I spent a year on the road, camping the whole time through Europe, middle east, Asia, Australasia and the USA. I carried tools, a few spares, a tent, a sleeping bag, an Optimus stove and occasionally a spare 5ltr fuel can . I was never short of anything. Sometimes, as I slogged through a desert sandwash, paddled through snow drifts or struggled out of a river crossing up a muddy bank I wished I had even less stuff.

What do people even need to carry in all that luggage - especially on a 50km breakfast run?

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Re: Ludicrous Panniers & Luggage Systems
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2019, 03:47:30 AM »
I always avoid anything with panniers wider than the handlebars  :028:

However evening without panniers........
« Last Edit: 10 September, 2019, 04:03:55 AM by Yellow Dog »
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2019, 07:09:24 AM »
Since its still in my clipboard...
This is what I used to carry for 1 - 2 week tours

Human propulsion is a strong incentive to pack light  :745:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2019, 08:10:35 AM »
Last time I had panniers on a bike was my 800GS, it had the vario panniers and in the narrow setting wasnt too bad. Think I was really put off them when a friend of a friend was killed in Spain when one of his panniers caught a bollard on the edge of a mountain road and span him off down the mountain. Yeah, was probably rider error too but..............
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
When I started motorcycle touring I used my backpacking gear, I could bundle it all up on a rack. No fun, not an endurance test. Sat on floor or tri-pod stool balancing dinner on knee, fekdat. Ok for young lads.
I enjoy camping as much as touring. Nowadays means a tent I can stand up in, but also packs in a pannier. A table & chair to sit & eat & comfy warm bed.

Our Tigers came with gi-normous panniers that fit nowt inside, mine are in loft, replaced by Trax 45/37L top loaders, wish I'd done it decades ago.

Best panniers triumph have fitted imo early 90's bikes Givi E36's badged triumph. Second best & best looking/neatest imo were fitted to the ST955i, they were a tad small at 28L but fitted a f/f helmet & inside the mirror lines so always left in situ, handy for dumping hats.
Since then Triumph panniers are crap, not helped by Tiger exhausts, we get one & half tiny panniers.
You do get two full size panniers on the Sprint GT & the Trophy (both now gone) they are huge outside but tiny inside.

Why would anybody buy a touring bike unless to go touring? We've all tried soft bags & bungee tying stuff on, soon tire of that, wet clothes & bed aint fun. Bundling stuff up in bin liners to try & keep them dry. There is good reason touring riders end up with ally top loaders.

The occasional w/e away rider using B&B/Hotel only needs a rollbag, job done, why buy bikes built to take 3 box kit if you don't need it. it's not a fashion show.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online af1-windy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
E45 box and E36 panniers..  :020:

Not the best looking but shape, size & sturdiness make up for that, very functional..

France with my brother and my 2 daughters.. elsdest was on the back of Steve's while I had luggae for them both as well as mine for a 3 day trip..

« Last Edit: 10 September, 2019, 10:25:40 AM by af1-windy »

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2019, 11:35:06 AM »
I tend to agree with TCC. I've done my bit touring with little - like coast to coast across the US for 4 months with a holdall on the back seat.

But really bikes should have better luggage designed in from the start - there's all that space around the rear wheel that's just wasted. And I really like Honda's idea with the NC750 that allows you to park helmet or carry shopping in the false petrol tank.

If I want to go camping, then my old 78 Boxer can carry far more gear, and more safely, than the TS. I don't like using the panniers either, but generally I find them necessary for the longer trips. One of the reasons I'm considering soft luggage is shown exactly in YD's video - if they hit anything then generally they'll either compress or tear - and with a bit of luck you won't come off.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2019, 12:43:40 PM »
Soft luggage has been death of many a rider, and pillion. Needs proper racks & tied down securely. See them sagging onto exhausts & rollbags working their way to one side.

Dodging pots & pans is not fun, Police had to stop traffic on a dual carriageway in Italy when the guy in front of me lost the contents of his roll-bag. Had a tent come adrift in front of my chum. PITA keep stopping for people to tighten their load.

We got away with some silly stuff when we were 40 years younger.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »
Ah, I meant the kind of soft luggage that mounts properly, on frames .... SW-Motech, etc.

But even then I'd probably have to change the exhaust and modify the frames to mount closer in. TCC is dead right ...

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »
You can see here how compact the ST955 panniers are, the space was well utilised. Compare to my pals throw-overs. I had luggage for missus anorl, with extra clobber & waterproofs for the Scottish weather, hence the overflow.

Then look at the latest TS with its 1100mm wide panniers, madness when we can fit nowt in them.
« Last Edit: 10 September, 2019, 06:52:13 PM by Paul2bikes »
Leonardo da Vinci