Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: London - Brighton Burn Up on Sunday 8th Sept  (Read 253 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
London - Brighton Burn Up on Sunday 8th Sept
« on: 10 September, 2019, 12:18:17 AM »
Well a mate suggested we do the London - Brighton run on Sunday, and being a mug and never having done it before, I duly turned up at the Ace Caf on London's North Circular at 9 am.

It was a fine morning, if a bit cool on the ride down the M40 from Oxford, so I was pretty glad I'd worn the full gear, fleece an all. The Ace was already busy at 08.45, with queues for tea and bacon sandwiches, etc. Within the hour (we didn't start until 10.30 am) I met riders from all over the UK (one rider from Derby had camped overnight on the grass verge!), as well as from France, Germany and Austria.

Spoke briefly to a man who looked to be lead rider - he was on a 60s Norton with registration 'no 1 ace', and wore a classic Lewis Leathers jacket absolutely covered with badges. He said they expected about 10,000 riders on the run, with something like 30,000 bikers in total converging on Brighton from different directions.

I can't vouch for the numbers, but it was certainly the largest number of riders on one run I've seen. There was no convoy system, and I was lucky enough to be sent off from the Ace in the lead group, so what with traffic and traffic lights we gradually became split up into smaller groups.

The route down to Brighton was almost all motorway, using the M25 and M23, but traffic density meant a fair amount of filtering, some of it good, some of it pretty awful, and I felt obliged to be extra courteous to other road users to compensate for the more lunatic behaviour of some riders.

Anyway, down towards Brighton the roads cleared and there were some spectacular views over the rolling hills of the South Downs. I'd got separated from my mate so stopped a couple of times to watch the groups of bikes going by, but no sign of him, so I tagged on to the next group and carried on into Brighton.

Which was of course truly jammed up, with the normal Sunday holidaymakers traffic blown out of all proportion by bikers coming in from all directions. Like everyone else I headed for the sea front, until finally we encountered the parking marshals shepherding us to parking areas. There were bikes parked both sides of the 'Sea Lanes' on the front, plus an additional row in the middle of the road. It must have been at least a mile like this before we found a space (mate had caught up in the Brighton traffic).

Finally arrived, it was off with the helmet, off with the jacket and out with the sun hat, because just after midday it was pretty warm. We strolled along the rows of machines together with several thousand other bikers doing the usual thing you do - admiring owners' machine and chatting about the various mods. The atmosphere reminded me of TT week in Douglas on the Isle of Man. There were bars and cafes, bandstands, club stands and bike-gear stalls to view aplenty.

But my mate had his mind set on a bag of chips on the beach, so we set off for the more traditional facilities. Found a place on the pebbles (Brighton beach has very little sand!), with tables and bench seats under awnings, already busy. I found us a place nevertheless, but mate decided he wanted to eat his chips on the beach itself.

Huge mistake! He wandered onto the beach away from the seating with his two trays of chips, then the next minute was enveloped in a whirling cluster of feathers, as what seemed like every seagull on the beach homed in on him! Came running back waving his arms to keep them off, but those birds were sneaky, a couple would make an attempt in front of him, and as he fended them off another would dive over his shoulder from behind and grab a chip!

Well now we understood why everyone was eating under the awnings, and nobody on the beach. Definitely a case of seagulls rule! My mate's not normally given to violence, but even he admitted that if he had a shotgun he'd have used it. I did notice that the beach was remarkably litter-free, and wondered if the locals deliberately encouraged the gulls so as to prevent us tourists from littering. If so, the strategy certainly worked.

I saw three other Tigers the whole day, and certainly no-one was interested in my Sport - too many interesting machines to look at. In fact my mate's Rizla Suzuki race-replica drew quite a few admirers.

After about three hours or so we'd had enough and set off back to London, dealing with the usual heavy traffic on the way. Back in the smoke we were both pretty knackered, but agreed it had been a fine day out. Probably once every few years was enough though.

Pics to follow when I get organised.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: London - Brighton Burn Up on Sunday 8th Sept
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2019, 07:00:55 AM »
Nice one. Last time I did London to Brighton on 2 wheels was on this

Your way sounds much more relaxed  :038:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2019, 07:53:17 AM »
Great write up, and sounds like a fab day out  :062:
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Some pics of the day:

Lead rider - note the registration plate.

TS and some Japanese cigarette thingie ..

Mayor of Brent doing some gladhanding .

Arriving in Brighton.

And down on the beach

And a short video .
« Last Edit: 10 September, 2019, 11:53:25 AM by Paullie »

Offline agardener

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: New Forest
« Reply #4 on: 09 October, 2019, 08:10:14 AM »
I was also there - it was awesome, apart from some idiots pulling wheelies down the main drag literally a few feet from pedestrians  and some youffs pinning throttles open to the rev limiters when stationary.  :020:

Mine was one of the other Tigers - rode there with the Solent RAT's....... :002:

Andrew

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2019, 08:20:54 AM »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2019, 08:51:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]

:745:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]

Afraid you've lost me. But I know my memory's going south .... along with the bikes ....