Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A Lean Mean Sports-Touring Machine  (Read 506 times)

Offline benclewett

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2019
  • City / Town: St Albans
A Lean Mean Sports-Touring Machine
« on: 08 September, 2019, 09:44:16 AM »
I love the engineering of my 2019 Tiger.  Possibly the best engineered bike I have owned.  Certainly better than the Ducati Monster I once had, which literally dropped bits onto the road as you drove along.  The Tiger drives perfectly.  I recently came back from a tour of northern France where I could not imagine a better bike.   Even running out of fuel in the middle on nowhere was a pleasure!

But sometimes I feel the full frontal lets the bike down.  Some of you may agree, and I am sure that many of you disagree.  But I would like to look at a few ideas for sharpening up the bike.  Just a little.  So less people ask 'what it's like to have lots of low speed torque?', and more people suggest locking up their daughters...

So for instance, I've removing the large handle bar protectors, and the strange and useless clear wind deflectors, and added subtle eyebrows:

Am I inciting insurrection, or moving towards perfection?

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: A Lean Mean Sports-Touring Machine
« Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2019, 10:46:30 AM »
I took the handguards off mine for the summer, does improve the look I agree. But then none of the Tigers have been lookers IMHO. Funnily enough I liked the Fugly look of the old 955 Tigers and the old Steamers, bit unique in a world of lookalikes.
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Devon Tiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: North Devon
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2019, 12:30:51 PM »
"and added subtle eyebrows:"

So subtle, I cant see them.  :430:

Offline benclewett

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2019
  • City / Town: St Albans
« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
It's just a bit of tape over the corner of the lights.  An experiment in aesthetics.  But it makes a difference to looks of the tiger from further back, makes it look a lot sharper.

I am sure you guys will be honest!

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »
Strangely enough, I like the look of the bike, without the eye brows. You'll miss those had guard and wind deflectors quite soon  :169:

If you really want to get super ugly, fit the standard panniers  :004:

2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
I agree that the hand guard's are not pretty, old 1050 or Sport. You already have nicer indicators although I like my tiny ones better. The taped lights don't do anything for me and I think it looked perfect without that detail. Now, lets talk big ugly: Those mirrors! I have some dainty CRG bar-ends that took a bit of work to integrate with the guards and bar end weights but look WAY better. And work better IMHO. Otherwise it's a handsome bike, methinks, full frontal or not...  :164:   

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:31:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
Strangely enough, I like the look of the bike, without the eye brows. You'll miss those had guard and wind deflectors quite soon  :169:

If you really want to get super ugly, fit the standard panniers  :004:

The older 1050 panniers have been slated for many things including lack of space, etc. But, ya gotta admit, they looked good! The Sport ushered in the era of suitcases with a round head. Not at all pretty. But probably functional. A whole generation of custom bikers gave up every logical, practical nuance for better looking bikes. I believe the 1050 was the outcome, at least in some part.