Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PD Oil Chain lube system Installation  (Read 406 times)

Offline TimboLeMatelot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Worthing
PD Oil Chain lube system Installation
« on: 31 August, 2019, 03:09:04 PM »
Hi all,

Having fitted a PD Oiler to my wife's Street Triple I have fitted one to the Tigger

The pump  unit is located within the seat cowl on the left hand side. I used a piece of hi-density foam (from a parcel) to infill between the frame tubes, to give a supporting surface at the rear. I also wrapped the unit in some non-slip mat material and Ty-wrapped it in place. The fill tube sits into the under seat tray so easy to refill; the vent line I ran up towards the tail light to keep it as high as possible. The oil feed tube pushes onto the brass nipple to the left of the picture.

I have powered it from the auxiliary socket in the tail which is a bit difficult to get to. I fished it out so I did not have to remove the relay tray, ECU and the whole kit and caboodle under the seat. The socket is clipped to a mounting piece, all plastic so with care you can slide it out of the clip OR as I did break the clip and don't worry about it. Purple and black wires, purple is the positive.

The connector I purchased from ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMP-Econoseal-Waterproof-Wiring-Electrical-Multi-Connectors-2-3-4-6-Way/222324794915?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=521172071441&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It is a male and female so you cut the original connector from the loom and use both halves of the new connector. You will need a crimping tool to make a decent job of it.

You will also need a new relay to power the auxiliary socket. It is the same as those already fitted Omron G8HN 1A4T RJ

I routed the oil feed tube down along the same path as the rear brake hydraulic line and ABS sensor. Both of these sit under a plastic cover tray on the top of which the chain guide fits. There is space for the oil feed tube to run all the way along to pop out at the other end.

The PD Oiler uses a wick to brush the chain. The wick is supplied mounted to a rubber foot which, on a conventional swinging arm would simply be Ty-wrapped on the inside face allowing the wick to hang down towards the chain.

There is a plastic chain guard on the bottom of the swinging arm on Tigger and I made up a plate to sit within this. The plate simply allowed me to Ty-wrap the rubber foot to it by creating a 1.5mm gap underneath it, the chain guard mounting bolts passing through the plate when it is located inside the chain guard. I used a piece of 1mm mild steel, grinding and then hand filing to shape. I gave it two coats of primer but nothing more, it will soon be covered in chain oil and crud! Not shown in the photos is the fact that I used some plastic solid dowel to stop the rubber foot folding in under the Ty-wrap.

Where the tube exits the plastic cover tray I used a single Ty-wrap to prevent the tube possibly touching the wheel. I shortened the wick tube, as supplied, by 18mm.

A bit of a fiddle but it has ended up as a quite neat job. :002:

« Last Edit: 31 August, 2019, 03:12:36 PM by TimboLeMatelot »

Offline TimboLeMatelot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Worthing
Re: PD Oil Chain lube system Installation
« Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2019, 05:51:16 PM »
Hi all,

Just a quick update on the PDOiler.

1500 miles through the Picos in Spain and I have to say I am really pleased I fitted the oilers to both the wife's and my bike. They worked very well indeed on position 5 with just the right amount of oil on the chain.

No more faffing with lube and rags when touring is a real boon.

Recommended!  :002:

Bw

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2019, 08:20:49 PM »
Excellent photos and recommendation. Thanks very much  :152:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Online Mike01

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2019, 06:12:03 PM »
Cheers for posting this, fitted my Cobrra pressure lube kit and was not too happy with the position/look of the drip tube.
Contacted PD and they supplied me with the wick attachment and tubing, fitted exactly how you did and with a bit of heat the green tube slipped nicely over my existing tube
Just need to replace my lower chain guard now lol
 :028: :028: :028:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2019, 06:48:32 PM »
Why is all that black stuff on the sprocket? A couple of the boys on the 800 forum have fitted that kit & their sprockets are same.  :187:
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Mike01

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2019, 06:58:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Why is all that black stuff on the sprocket? A couple of the boys on the 800 forum have fitted that kit & their sprockets are same.  :187:
That was when I fitted it and zero use, after a clean and maybe 1k miles it's still clean.. kind of  :164:

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »
The wick delivery idea is interesting.  What happens if you wheel the bike backwards?

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:11:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by sax_000 [+]
The wick delivery idea is interesting.  What happens if you wheel the bike backwards?

Hmmm, good question?
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2019, 09:54:22 AM »
Mine is positioned vertically, further from the sprocket than Timbo - so it works the same whichever way the wheel turns.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online Mike01

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »

I only have the lose bits touching the chain so they just change direction. If the wick is too low then yep it gets dragged backwards but seems to be ok with the flexi tube inside as it springs straight back.