Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HELP... Engine judders and cuts out at 94mph. Why  (Read 1916 times)

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: HELP... Engine judders and cuts out at 94mph. Why
« Reply #50 on: 02 September, 2019, 12:55:08 PM »
True or not, surely we should be helping the OP with his issue on this fine forum so he resolves the issue which is clearly causing him grief?
Also there is the fact that other members have had the same issue.

Yes putting your sidestand down in gear at any speed is dangerous and if the switch is working properly its designed to stop the engine ain't it?

Anyway let's get back to doing what the very learned on here do best... solve his issue with a smile 😁
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #51 on: 02 September, 2019, 03:29:17 PM »
Well, experiment complete.  :005: Turns out this is less fuss than all the hype leads us to believe. I could not find any clear highway here north of Atlanta so 100MPH was out of the question. However, I did try it at 70 mph (closed course, etc. etc.  :007:) after confirming at rest that it was a simple matter to kick out the stand and nudge it back again. Bottom line? Make sure you're coasting when you try this because ....... immediate engine shutdown. I had to coast with the clutch in, kick the stand back and then thumb it back to life. I eschewed trying a bump start as I'm not completely insane. I'd slowed down considerably by then. If I'd been doing 100MPH it would have been a lot to deal with but for a committed soul it would nevertheless be quite easily accomplished. If you tried it under an open throttle, it would be sudden deceleration and all the whoopee that goes with that. So, this raises the question: If the OP did this and it did NOT cut out, then why? Side stand switch duff? Some part of the wiring? A simple check would be to see if the bike can be started with the stand down. That's a problem right off the bat.

Hope this gets resolved and we don't need any more big-eye science experiments!  :745:

PS. My bike is a 2009 1050, not a 2017 Sport. Not really apples to apples. Maybe things work differently at speed on a Sport...?
« Last Edit: 02 September, 2019, 03:32:56 PM by ZuluTiger »

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #52 on: 02 September, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »
 :005: well done ZT, your a braver man than me  :020: :047: :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #53 on: 03 September, 2019, 01:46:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
So, this raises the question: If the OP did this and it did NOT cut out, then why? Side stand switch duff? Some part of the wiring? A simple check would be to see if the bike can be started with the stand down. That's a problem right off the bat.

Great work that man. Hats off for your bravery  :046:

And I agreed with your diagnosis, which is what I attempted to previously imply.

However having given the matter some more thought, after a chat with a mechanic buddy over an unrelated subject; the current Tiger most likely uses a more modern cut out switch process. Instead of a physical cut out switch, it simply sends the action alert to the ECU, which then decides upon the correct course of action, in line with its logical rules based circuits. I suspect that at 100mph would have been interpreted as 'power cut out inappropriate' so no action would have been taken.

It's a bit like driving your car at 60Mph and moving your auto gear shifter in to 'reverse' or 'park'. You just get a 'beep' rather than suffering the potential of a life changing accident.

No facts here, just suspicion  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #54 on: 03 September, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
All the interlocks only feed info to the ECU ever since the first 1050 Tiger model.

I reckon the engine cutting out it is less dangerous than having the stand down without knowing and going round a left-hander...

Kudos for trying this 'live' ZT but surely it would have been safer to do it stationary on the centre stand with just the rear wheel spinning at speed?
« Last Edit: 03 September, 2019, 02:39:27 PM by Sidewinder »

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #55 on: 03 September, 2019, 03:50:11 PM »
Kudos for trying this 'live' ZT but surely it would have been safer to do it stationary on the centre stand with just the rear wheel spinning at speed?

You have found me out. I did do that in order to be sure it was easy to kick out and reset the side stand, as well as initiating a cut-out. But, it did not satisfy the criticism of this being easy to do at speed, which it was. I also wanted to be able to coast and then flick out the side stand, which the center-stand-based test cannot simulate. So, I had to try it 'live' to see how it would all go down. I really am not a brave soul because I've done this many times at speed on my older bikes when I've noticed the stand down. Reaching out and kicking it back at 80-90 is hardly a big deal. Kicking it out was just the reverse and confirmed that no sneak logic exists (like through the ABS system) that adds to the complexity. Now, throttle open at 100mph? Probably not. But off-throttle at 100mph, no problem. Then just cope with the situation of a restart, or like the OP, nothing happens.
« Last Edit: 03 September, 2019, 03:55:15 PM by ZuluTiger »

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #56 on: 03 September, 2019, 07:31:43 PM »
but surely it would have been safer to do it stationary on the centre stand with just the rear wheel spinning at speed?

Your kidding right?
Id not stand next to a bike on a stand with the rear wheel doing 100mph!  :114:
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #57 on: 03 September, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »
I sat on it, front wheel against my concrete garage wall, and then heeled the stand up and down with my Alpinestar boot on. When it cuts out, it's not pleasant. It was less intimidating out on the road to be honest. On the stand you have to be quick with the clutch or all kinds of lash goes on as the thing shuts down. I agree, I was not going near the chain, stand, etc. with the back doing 100.

Offline pudder

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Weston-S-Mare
« Reply #58 on: 08 October, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »
I've only had my Tiger a couple months, and I get the same symptom under hard acceleration.
Couldn't say what speed, and I would suspect somewhere nearer 70 than 94, but its like the engine cuts for half a second, then picks back up again.

Its quite disconcerting, especially if it happens during an overtake.

My problem isn't very repeatable, it probably happens once every couple weeks.
Whether or not this is the same thing, but I'm going to have a look at my stand switch all the same.