Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaking Oil Pan?? 2010 Tiger 1050 with 80,000km, Pan never touched.  (Read 688 times)

Offline Gooza

• Tiger Member
  • Slow Poke
  • Bike/Model: White 2010 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Hi All, I now have a persistent oil leak that appears to be coming from the sump oil pan near the side stand area.

It's leaking like 1-2 drops/day at a rough guess. Stuff all, but mighty annoying.

I have torqued up all the bolts around the complete perimeter and the 3 around the oil filter but it seems to persist.

I have ordered a new gasket from the UK, but that will be a few weeks before arrival.

I have 2 questions:

1. Why would this suddenly start leaking for seemingly no reason when the pan certainly hasn't been removed in the last 40k under my ownership?
2. Do the headers have to come off to get the pan off the bike?  Not a job I'm really looking forward to....

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Re: Leaking Oil Pan?? 2010 Tiger 1050 with 80,000km, Pan never touche
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »
Minor oil leaks can be a bit tricky, are you 100% sure it is from the oil pan? I had a similar leak in the same area on my Street Triple, nothing big, just a couple drops, looked like it was coming from the pan gasket. On closer inspection, I found the oil was coming from the bottom of the front sprocket cover just above. Took the cover off and realized the source of the leak was the front sprocket shaft seal. Maybe clean the area very well and spray some foot powder on it to be sure it does not start above the oil pan.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
I took the headers off when I did it. I did leave the coolant and radiator intact, just loosened as needed. But buggering with the headers with limited space because of the radiator, I wondered if it was worth it.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
Theres another possibility- one of the side-stand mounting bolts passes into the engine casing.   I think its meant to be a blind hole but on mine it started leaking.   Took ages to figure out where it was coming from as it was a slow leak so was blowing around, coupled with the chain muck it was hard to see.  Between me and the dealer we figured it out - removed the mount bolts one at a time and siliconed them back in.   Not one drop since.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
You don't say if you've recently done any work on the bike? If you've fitted a chain oiler, it could be that. I get a few drips after every ride, gets worse if I don't clean out the crud around the front sprocket every few months.

Good luck with it.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2019, 07:18:52 PM »
mine had a similar leak. It ended up being a bad o ring on a transmission shaft that protrudes into the sprocket area

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
Neutral switch is also in that area and is a known possibility for leaks.  I too would remove the sprocket cover, clean everything up as spotless as you can then ride for a day or so and have another look
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2019, 10:39:41 PM »
The talcum powder trick is a good one. It would be pretty annoying if you change the pan gasket and it still leaks  :232:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Gooza

• Tiger Member
  • Slow Poke
  • Bike/Model: White 2010 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2019, 02:51:15 AM »
Good idea, Will try the talcum powder.

It could be the kickstand bolts as well.

I did put an oiler on it long ago, and have had the sprocket cover off already and had a beak in there, could see nothing weeping from the seal, and had cleaned up all the oil fling from the sprocket..

I am certainly not 100% that it is the sump gasket, that's what I hoped to glean as to where else by asking.

Cheers,  Alan

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2019, 08:00:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gooza [+]

I did put an oiler on it long ago, and have had the sprocket cover off already and had a beak in there, could see nothing weeping from the seal, and had cleaned up all the oil fling from the sprocket..

This was going to be my suggestion. Mine drips oil from round the sidestand but it is flung oil from my chain as I oil it weekly. I too was worried it was the sump so took off the sprocket cover. cleaned it with Gunk/petrol/jet wash and sure enough the oil was coming off the chain.  :152:
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.