Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for Clarification on LED Turn Signals  (Read 5964 times)

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
  • Bike/Model: 1050 SE ABS 2010
  • City / Town: Chesnee
Looking for Clarification on LED Turn Signals
« on: 18 August, 2019, 02:36:17 AM »
Been adding stuff to my new 2011 Tiger 1050.  Since I was mounting a digital gear indicator, gps and an external general purpose external plug for charging the battery, I though I'd just bite the bullet and put in a Blue Sea junction box.  When I was done, or so I thought, I checked all my electricals to make sure switch power worked and direct power worked too.  They did, BUT my left rear turn signal was out.  It wasn't the bulb but the hot connector had unplugged itself somehow.   What I learned from this is those turn signal lights are crap.  Oh I should say CRAP.  The reflectors were bubbling up and the bulbs were stuck n their socket.  Time for LED replacements.  After going though various posts on this forum I think but am not sure about hooking up the LED"s.  I am familiar LED's and know that the "D" is for diode and that means they don't need the current the plain old incandescent lights do.  One way to make LED's work with the flasher is to add a resister to each light unit.  Now that I beat the horse to death, here's the question.  Can you just put in a LED flasher unit to replace the stock flasher unit, forget about the resister packs and just connect the LED light units???

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Looking for Clarification on LED Turn Signals
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2019, 07:14:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by fjrod [+]
Been adding stuff to my new 2011 Tiger 1050.  Since I was mounting a digital gear indicator, gps and an external general purpose external plug for charging the battery, I though I'd just bite the bullet and put in a Blue Sea junction box.  When I was done, or so I thought, I checked all my electricals to make sure switch power worked and direct power worked too.  They did, BUT my left rear turn signal was out.  It wasn't the bulb but the hot connector had unplugged itself somehow.   What I learned from this is those turn signal lights are crap.  Oh I should say CRAP.  The reflectors were bubbling up and the bulbs were stuck n their socket.  Time for LED replacements.  After going though various posts on this forum I think but am not sure about hooking up the LED"s.  I am familiar LED's and know that the "D" is for diode and that means they don't need the current the plain old incandescent lights do.  One way to make LED's work with the flasher is to add a resister to each light unit.  Now that I beat the horse to death, here's the question.  Can you just put in a LED flasher unit to replace the stock flasher unit, forget about the resister packs and just connect the LED light units???

The original Triumph LED Indicator kit worked that way so I suppose it should as long as the specs are the same. You do know that LED Indicators arent approved for the US. Dunno how strict your Gov is on this
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
The original Triumph LED Indicator kit worked that way so I suppose it should as long as the specs are the same. You do know that LED Indicators arent approved for the US. Dunno how strict your Gov is on this
I don't believe LED turn signals are specifically stated as illegal in any state but the design of certain ones may violate some statute concerning how the light may interfere with other vehicles.  How they would catch any violation other than they just don't work is questionable.  My state does not have a state vehicle inspection.  A trooper on the road probably doesn't care unless they don't work or not amber or white.   My original question really doesn't apply to the Triumph LED kit however the fact there is one suggests that they are legal.  Also that kit costs 209 euros I believe and I can by four LED lights and a flasher for less than $20 usd.  Just want to make sure they work.  Thanks

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2019, 01:21:59 PM »
I don't believe LED turn signals are specifically stated as illegal in any state but the design of certain ones may violate some statute concerning how the light may interfere with other vehicles.  How they would catch any violation other than they just don't work is questionable.  My state does not have a state vehicle inspection.  A trooper on the road probably doesn't care unless they don't work or not amber or white.   My original question really doesn't apply to the Triumph LED kit however the fact there is one suggests that they are legal.  Also that kit costs 209 euros I believe and I can by four LED lights and a flasher for less than $20 usd.  Just want to make sure they work.  Thanks

Wasnt suggesting anything, it just gets talked about a fair bit on the KTM forum, UK KTM's come standard with LED, US bikes get bulb type??  And yes Triumph LED's are silly money
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
LED installation is straight forward as long as you understand what is going on. The LED draws much less current than the OEM incandescent. This causes the OEM flasher to pulse too quickly as it's thermal element is too lightly loaded. The nasty solution is to add a load in parallel with the new LED, making it behave like the OEM high-wattage bulb. This is inelegant and a waste of energy. Also, you need to place the hot resistors out of harms way. Rather, replace the flasher with an electronic unit that uses a digital timer to switch.

I replaced mine with a unit from a parts store. I bought the cheapest one available - Novita EP 34 . Any 12V unit will work. However, if you use a 3-pin unit you will need to provide a ground to the relay as it uses a 12V power supply (pos and neg required) and has a switched output on the third leg. There are 2-pin units available online that do this with only a positive (like the OEM unit).

You might like this:

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,38446.0.html

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2019, 01:08:04 AM »
Can you just put in a LED flasher unit to replace the stock flasher unit, forget about the resister packs and just connect the LED light units???

Yes.

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2019, 01:10:41 AM »
I've been looking at turn signals now for about a week.  Really I don't see a logical or rational reason to replace the stock indicators for LED's. Now headlights that is a totally different issue, but the need for mega lumen turn signals????  Not really!!!!   BUT, and that is upper case B U T, why does a used stock indicator go for $66 usd on eBay when you can get four LED's for under $10?  The stock ones have internal reflectors that corrode, and the bulbs are susceptible seizing up in the socket.  I'm going to wait till one stock bulb burns out and then buy a full LED set.  :152:

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2019, 01:41:37 AM »
I refer you to the link below as my response and agreement. My 'little' home-made units are ultra-visible, cost zilch, and can be replaced at $1 levels. I ride past the Uber-Critique Suwanee police every day and have had no problems. Seems like the free market does have a future.  :015:

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,38446.0.html
« Last Edit: 20 August, 2019, 01:47:03 AM by ZuluTiger »

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »
If it'll make you feel any better consider I've just had to buy a replacement indicator for my KTM 1290 Superduke GT ..........$656.00!!

Sure, it incorporates a 3 stage lean sensitive cornering light (10deg, 20deg, 30deg) but I wouldn't want to have to replace them too often. 

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2019, 06:32:59 PM »
KTM need a drubbing for that!  :192: