Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph 1160 triple engines coming  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Re: Triumph 1160 triple engines coming
« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by DaveH [+]
The bar may have been raised by a huge margin but so have the respective prices.. 6k dearer than a TS is a lot of money for those without bottomless pockets.
Hand in glove with the bar raising goes dealer only servicing in most cases... One of the reasons I came back to a user friendly TS from a bar raised Multistrada DVT.
I reckon for most folks not bothered about dick measuring contests, the TS has enough real world performance for our current UK roads and represents good value for money... I'll get me coat... 😂

Im surprised there havent been more posts like this!!! But the reality on modern roads a bike with 100hp will struggle against modern day cars it has nothing to do with other bikes per se its about survival when just about every dick head on the the road has a 200hp turbo diesel car that will nudge 150.

Now of course if you live in some quiet country village far from the madding crowd youll be wonder about the comparison I live  on the side of the M6 and theres an arms race going on out there dont ask me to like it its just the way it is.

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by toopytiger [+]
How do you find the engine heat on the Super Duke GT?  Is it OK?

It throws out plenty just as my X/R did until I got rid of the cat which I will do when the warranty runs out at the end of the year on the KTM.

Offline Foxes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport 17
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:52:43 PM »
Dave H. Great comment, No wonder the sales of bikes are dropping, in NZ the difference between the TS and the KTM GT is $15,000. the biking generation is getting older due to the affordability of bikes. Triumph new Rocket will be over $40,000 NZ, and the quickshifter will be an optional extra. they need to look at building bikes that affordable to the younger generation.

Offline Magnetman

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2014
  • City / Town: Runcorn
« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
Interesting, motorcycle manufacturers keep increasing displacements to compensate for the loss in power from more restrictive noise and emissions regs. Open class bikes are seeing 1300cc as the new standard and "middle weights" are now around 800-900cc. Auto makers seem to be going in the opposite direction, turbo 4 & 6 cyl. motors replacing the larger V8's that were the norm in their top models. I know turbo bikes were a flop back in the 80's but technology has come a long way in engine management since then. I think a modern smaller displacement turbo motor would be a good thing in today's market. The current small displacement car turbo motors have little or no lag and a lot of torque, don't see why they can't do the same with a motorcycle motor.  :300:
Good point re Turbos. I had the Kwak GPz 750 Turbo back in the 80's and it worked well and now Kawasaki have the supercharged H2. I'm sure a smaller capacity (lighter) motor could be persuaded to produce decent power to weight ratios with a modern turbo/fuel injection design.

Offline DaveH

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Belper
« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:06:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
But the reality on modern roads a bike with 100hp will struggle against modern day cars it has nothing to do with other bikes per se its about survival

The apocalypse isn't quite with us yet... Why so competitive... #we don't need another hero...  :745:
Tiger 1050 Sport :001:
Honda VFR1200F :152:
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :037:

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »
Here in JawJuh, USA, we have a non-lane splitting law. So power aside, there's nowhere to go! We have to behave like a car. No nipping up the empty rumble area or slipping between cars. I sit in traffic with huge USA-type gaps all around me and cannot use them. It somewhat explains why locals have JBL sound systems and cup holders on Lay-Z-Boy Harleys. Because the Sheriff has seen all the U-Toob clips, he also watches anything other than a Hardly. So its a double whammy. Power becomes a penalty, and slow, noisy, car-like progress is the benchmark. Talk about missing the boat.

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2019, 08:15:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by DaveH [+]
The apocalypse isn't quite with us yet... Why so competitive... #we don't need another hero...  :745:

Just shown my wife your post Lucky him living out in the Boonies was the reply and that just about sums it up.

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2019, 08:31:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
Here in JawJuh, USA, we have a non-lane splitting law. So power aside, there's nowhere to go! We have to behave like a car. No nipping up the empty rumble area or slipping between cars. I sit in traffic with huge USA-type gaps all around me and cannot use them. It somewhat explains why locals have JBL sound systems and cup holders on Lay-Z-Boy Harleys. Because the Sheriff has seen all the U-Toob clips, he also watches anything other than a Hardly. So its a double whammy. Power becomes a penalty, and slow, noisy, car-like progress is the benchmark. Talk about missing the boat.

For years my wife and I talked about riding across the States east to west and it was only a couple years ago that I realised that apart from California you guys dont filter in the traffic and It killed the idea stone dead because its a way of life for me im Filtering when the traffic is down to 50 mph we all do it in a big city if we couldnt why ride a bike and while  im Reasonably decent at it when travelling on the M25 could never match the London couriers but found the trick was to pull over let them through and tag on 50 yards behind was like the parting of the Red Sea in the traffic  :001:

All part of why my Tiger lives in semi retiring one up it can just about hold its own against a modern day car but two up its a bit run of the mill and your average car driver here in the UK is a thug but the moment they realise your on a bike that has warp speed they leave you alone as I said in the other post I dont make the rules I just live by them probably why we now talk about moving out to the sticks and pretending its not happening.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
while  im Reasonably decent at it when travelling on the M25 could never match the London couriers
Well in truth there is not much need for filtering on the M25. The lanes are so wide, and the drivers used to bikes so mostly the bikes just create a separate lane between the 2 outermost lanes  :164:
London itself is a completely different story these days. The cycle network has grown so much and lots of the roads are now single lane with concrete barriers between the road and cycle lane so filtering is often not even possible. When last I worked there (i.e. beginning of this year) it took be around 45 minutes to cover the 30 miles from Berks to Hyde Park. The next 2 or 3 miles to tower bridge regularly took 30 minutes. I'm pretty comfortable filtering and have no problem staying with any courier who has survived beyond the age of 30. Of course the kamikaze kids are a different matter entirely  :745:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
« Reply #19 on: 16 August, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »
If by the remotest chance Mr Triumph you are reading this make the motor a 1260 short stroke doesnt need to be at the top of the tree HP wise but certainly mid 140s oh and 21/22l tank and ill Pay my deposit now  :001: