Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph 1160 triple engines coming  (Read 6560 times)

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Triumph 1160 triple engines coming
« on: 13 August, 2019, 11:07:41 PM »
So what do we think of this?   https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2019/august/triumph-speed-triple-1160-planned

Seen it in a couple of places across the web today, so I reckon it's real.   Plus Bennett's is a major UK bike insurer, they aren't gonna just post up some completely made-up rubbish, and leaks like this are Triumph's style anyway when they're trying to generate a bit of hype.

I guess that engine is a contender for an upcoming and heavily revised Tiger Sport as well, hopefully.

Offline Foxes

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport 17
  • City / Town: Auckland
Re: Triumph 1160 triple engines coming
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2019, 03:28:26 AM »
There is also spy shots of a new Tiger 900 on Youtube

Offline toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2019, 04:09:28 AM »
Thanks for posting that Mike B.  We can only hope!  I was afraid (as has been suggested on the forum before) that with the increase of the Tiger 800 to a 900 they might drop the Tiger Sport altogether

Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  MRA screen + spoiler.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.  Would like to respring forks but would need to get divorced first.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:47:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by toopytiger [+]
Thanks for posting that Mike B.  We can only hope!  I was afraid (as has been suggested on the forum before) that with the increase of the Tiger 800 to a 900 they might drop the Tiger Sport altogether

I would have bought the 800, if it was a 900. Far more nimble  :169:

I wouldn't ever consider the 1200 Explorer.

The 1050 has had a very good 13 year innings.  :047:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2019, 01:31:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Foxes [+]
There is also spy shots of a new Tiger 900 on Youtube

Saw this yesterday.

https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/2020-triumph-tiger-900-spy-photos.html

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2019, 06:30:24 PM »
Ive had my 955 from new in 2001 Id already had 2 885is my complaint in 01 was the 19 front wheel so I converted to 17 and finally went from wire wheels to Dymags ive ridden several 1050s they offer nothing more than my 955 minus the bigger tank clearly Triumph were going to sit on the hands and I felt the long stroke Explorer engine was a mistake from day one and so I moved on but keeping the old 955.

I now own both an X/R with Akra headers P/C Dymags and recently this year bought a KTM GT the bar has been raised by some margin and if Triumph want to rejoined the fight theyll need more than an1160 motor without doubt there is a market for such a bike and my preference has always been a triple but please Triumph dont bring a knife to a gun fight you will need at least 145 real HP not pr hp.

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2019, 01:03:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
......recently this year bought a KTM GT the bar has been raised by some margin......

As you say the bar has certainly been raised but it's by a huge margin.

Like you, a KTM 1290 SDGT now resides in the garage alongside my '04 955 Daytona and my '07 1050 S3 (my 1050 Tiger is long gone). KTM have brought a whole new dimension to the sector with the current 1290 (1301cc) engine. It was inconceivable just a few years ago that such power/torque could be delivered in such a civilised manner.

Be interesting to see if this 1160cc over bored engine really offers an exceptionally sophisticated ride experience or if it's been done solely to meet the ever tightening emission regs. 

Offline toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2019, 04:47:11 AM »
How do you find the engine heat on the Super Duke GT?  Is it OK?
Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  MRA screen + spoiler.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.  Would like to respring forks but would need to get divorced first.

Offline DaveH

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Belper
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
The bar may have been raised by a huge margin but so have the respective prices.. 6k dearer than a TS is a lot of money for those without bottomless pockets.
Hand in glove with the bar raising goes dealer only servicing in most cases... One of the reasons I came back to a user friendly TS from a bar raised Multistrada DVT.
I reckon for most folks not bothered about dick measuring contests, the TS has enough real world performance for our current UK roads and represents good value for money... I'll get me coat... 😂
Tiger 1050 Sport :001:
Honda VFR800 VTEC :152:
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :037:

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:53:37 PM »
Interesting, motorcycle manufacturers keep increasing displacements to compensate for the loss in power from more restrictive noise and emissions regs. Open class bikes are seeing 1300cc as the new standard and "middle weights" are now around 800-900cc. Auto makers seem to be going in the opposite direction, turbo 4 & 6 cyl. motors replacing the larger V8's that were the norm in their top models. I know turbo bikes were a flop back in the 80's but technology has come a long way in engine management since then. I think a modern smaller displacement turbo motor would be a good thing in today's market. The current small displacement car turbo motors have little or no lag and a lot of torque, don't see why they can't do the same with a motorcycle motor.  :300:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!