Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Non-Starting Woe's:  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
Re: Non-Starting Woe's:
« Reply #10 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
As a stolen and recovered, and without a dash my guess would be that there is more likely to be other reasons for starting difficulty.....

Sounds to me more like a fuelling issue
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2019, 01:49:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ukwes [+]

I was thinking that - like a kinked fuel pipe
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #12 on: 16 August, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »
I suspect your compression test will give you enough information. The TuneECU diagnostics might be a good place to looking for what's  going on.

If you have a good battery (not the original) and you put her all back together in the right order: 'Robert might well turn out to be your mother's brother'.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #13 on: 17 August, 2019, 01:30:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
.... recovered with no dash so no idea!..........
..............The dash sorted itself out after a while.............
............I'm thinking CDI unit but don't know how to test one.

Your initial post is a little confusing. First of all does it have a dash cluster or not?

If it does, is it the Tiger 1050 cluster that belongs to that bike. Or is it off another Tiger 1050 and if so is it a three button or a two button unit? Or is it a cluster off a different bike. A 1050 Speed Triple or a 675 Daytona/Street Triple perhaps?

BTW there is no CDI unit. Tiger 1050 uses a v2 Keihin ECU.

« Last Edit: 17 August, 2019, 01:38:04 AM by TCC »

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
« Reply #14 on: 17 August, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ukwes [+]
As a stolen and recovered, and without a dash my guess would be that there is more likely to be other reasons for starting difficulty.....

it's an EX-stolen recovered... I've been riding him for the past 16 months no problen, probably put over 20k miles on him.  :001:

I think he's just sulking and after a littl TLC.
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
« Reply #15 on: 17 August, 2019, 08:16:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
Your initial post is a little confusing. First of all does it have a dash cluster or not?

If it does, is it the Tiger 1050 cluster that belongs to that bike. Or is it off another Tiger 1050 and if so is it a three button or a two button unit? Or is it a cluster off a different bike. A 1050 Speed Triple or a 675 Daytona/Street Triple perhaps?

BTW there is no CDI unit. Tiger 1050 uses a v2 Keihin ECU.

Sorry for being unclear, I've been running this bike for about 16 months no problem as I replaced the dash with a s/hand unit that was allegedly off a Tiger. 3 button with ABS light.
Apart from the occasional hiccup on start when the dash goes blank he's been reliable for the last 20k miles or so. He has been getting a little sluggish so was going to give him a good going over anyway.

One job I've been meaning to do was to remove the Oil Cooler and Radiator to get at the Exhaust as it looked corroded. I just wanted to get it cleaned up for aesthetic reasons but I'm glad I got it off as:
1)   The exhaust nuts ranged from 10mm diameter to 13mm, not odd sizes fitted but due to corrosion. One I had to hammer on a 9mm socket to get purchase,
2)   Half the studs had rusted to a peak so I set-to on those. Managed to get them all out and now replaced with Stainless steel new ones.
3)   Centre pipe was cracked to buggery so thats off getting shot-blasted and welded.

Valve Clearances: The inlet valves seem OK, between 0.1mm and 0.15mm (my feeler gauges dont have any in-between sizes so getting some new ones today to do a better measurement)

Exhaust valves however seemed to measure at 0.5mm? could they be sticking open a little? If so any tips on cleaning the valve shanks. I dont want to strip the head down unless the compression test comes back low.  Again I am not sure if I have measured these correctly as my feeler gauges are pretty pants.

Spark Plugs:
He had Iridium plugs in but they looked pretty shot so do I replace with a new set of Iridium ones (are they significantly better than standard?) or do I go for copper cored?
I have some CR8E and CR8EK from my Sprint that I never fitted. which would be better?

Many thanks in advance.

I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #16 on: 17 August, 2019, 09:40:12 AM »
Think this new insight will help diagnosis...as you were folks  :002:
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #17 on: 17 August, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »
Okay, we understand the situation better now.
Straight off my first thought is - loose battery terminals. Would also be worth checking the main ground terminal on top of the crankcase underneath the throttle bodies. It's a knuckle scraper to get at but undo the earth bolt, sandpaper all the terminals and the top alloy surface of the threaded boss. Clean up the bolt and reassemble with just a smear of grease. Wouldn't hurt to do the same with the live terminal on the top of the starter motor while you're in there.

The CR8E/CR8EK will be fine. Iridium (and platinum) offer no benefit over regular plugs other than greater electrode longevity. Most enthusiastic motorcyclists tend to change plugs much more frequently than necessary so iridium's main benefit is kind of wasted on us.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #18 on: 24 August, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »
I'll add my two-pennorth. If you're convinced it's electrical - then while cleaning up connectors, don't forget to clean and vaseline also the starter solenoid connectors and main fuse (lurking in a unit under the seat) - pointless cleaning the battery and starter motor terminals and forgetting these!

If it's vacuum in the tank, check the breather hoses are the right way round - pour some light oil or fuel cleaner into the breather hole under the filler cap - if breather hoses are correct it should dump out immediately by your left foot.

If valves are sticky then I like Freddy's solution - pour some some kerosene/parafin into the plughole while cranking.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #19 on: 24 August, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
Valve Clearances: The inlet valves seem OK, between 0.1mm and 0.15mm (my feeler gauges dont have any in-between sizes so getting some new ones today to do a better measurement)

Exhaust valves however seemed to measure at 0.5mm? could they be sticking open a little? If so any tips on cleaning the valve shanks. I dont want to strip the head down unless the compression test comes back low.  Again I am not sure if I have measured these correctly as my feeler gauges are pretty pants.

The inlets if your measuring is correct are on the low side but within spec. bottom limit at 0.1mm.
The exhausts at 0.5mm? Are you sure? All of them the same. That's 20 thou in old money! Double what they should be. Get some decent feeler gauges & measure them again to be sure. The clearances usually close up on these engines, not go double. Bad starting can be caused by zilch clearances.

Then there's the battery & electrical connections the boys have mentioned to go through. When did this bike last have a full service? If ever. What does the air filter look like?

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci