Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Non-Starting Woe's:  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
Non-Starting Woe's:
« on: 13 August, 2019, 08:22:59 PM »
I have a problem with 'Clot' not starting. The Tiger is an 07 with unknown mileage (bought as a stolen recovered with no dash so no idea!) . It's coughed on start-up every so often since I had it but this time it wont start again.

Sometimes when I've tried to start it it's sort of coughed and the screen blanked (no time/ no fuel level et'c) but it still started. The dash sorted itself out after a while everytime.

This time it hiccuped, and then wouldn't start. it will half fire but won't stay running. I'd just filled up so suspected the fuel so I drained and filled with fresh. After a few attempts it started on two and eventually it settled down to three. I restarted it every hour for a few hours and thought I had cracked it but then it coughed again and won't restart.

It tries to fire, but won't catch. if it does fire it will rev up once and then die.

I haven't started tearing it down yet but I thought I'd ask if anyone recognised the symptoms. I'm thinking CDI unit but don't know how to test one.

I'm going to strip down and do Valve clearances and spark plugs as it's 'Cattled' anyway as it can't hurt but it would be nice to have a hint on where to look.

cheers in advance.
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: Non-Starting Woe's:
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:23:15 PM »
Water? In the underseat tray?

Just a thought. If you usually park on the centre stand /paddock stand try the sidestand for a couple of hours.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2019, 01:46:25 AM »
My son had an '08 which developed similar symptoms - it would eventually start on a cyl or 2 then after a short while the 3rd would pick up.  This would happen when the bike was left for a week or so but it was mostly ok otherwise .  We did a cold compression check (thumb down plug hole to seal it ha ha) one day after it had been parked for 7-10 days and found that compression was extremely low on 1 or 2 cyls.  I guessed (correctly) that it must be sticking exhaust valves as it didn't seem to be leaking out the throttle body.  We put a small amount of kero into the 2 faulty cyls, and cranked it over for a pit.  NOTE:  the plugs were fitted to the coils but we had them earthed so as not to run the risk of ECU trouble when cranking it with plugs not sparking.  We repeated that a couple of times  - bit messy with kero spraying about when the valves sealed and blew my fat thumb out of the plug holes.  The exh valves were apparently held open just enuff not to seal but still clear the piston crown.  Anyhow, it never happened again after that experience.   :046:

The screen going blank is indicative of low battery.  You say:  if it does fire it will rev up once and then die.  That wasn't our experience.  Good luck.   :031:
« Last Edit: 14 August, 2019, 01:50:33 AM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ........what?

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »
Seangee: it's currently under cover in my Garage so water not the issue.

Freddy: I have an idea it could be compression related but not sure until I get it stripped down. I had intended on doing a deep service but wanted to get the starting issue sorted first.

Ho Hum.. I've got a compression tester (somewhere......!) I'll give it a go.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2019, 01:51:02 PM »
It's a LOT quicker and easy to stick ya thumb in there I found.    :001:

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Freddy [+]
It's a LOT quicker and easy to stick ya thumb in there I found.    :001:

Ooh Err Matron !..  :008: :008:

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »
Since it has an unknown history, a compression and leak down test would be a good starting point to confirm it has a healthy motor.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:43:29 PM »
Compression test I can do but a leak down? anyone got a how to?

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 16 August, 2019, 01:33:36 AM »
You need a precision test kit to start with, like the one below, not a cheap and nasty bit of junk from ebay, and then you need adapters to fit 10mm plug hole..  Then you need to have a fairly high level of knowledge & experience in using it on motorcycle engines in order to interpret the results.  A former brilliant star in this forum, Hamlin, was an expert who taught Triumph USA's tech reps how to diagnose engine failures (broken piston ring lands) with it.  If you search his posts and topics you should find some history.  That's not going to help you tho.  I'd suggest you do a simple compression test when cold and see what you find.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/EEPV509

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #9 on: 16 August, 2019, 07:07:28 AM »
Regarding the unknown mileage, run the reg plate through the MOT history site.   Might give you an idea of its past?