Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Route Napoleon  (Read 951 times)

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
Re: Route Napoleon
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2019, 07:35:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
I've used this route (see link). Kaysersberg in a days ride 360 miles, m'way as far as Nancy, couple of nights stay for troughing French scran in town & a day riding the Ballons. Then off to Camp bottom of Grimsel pass. The route from there over the Grimsel then down through the valley gives great views of the Eiger & Matterhorn as you pass, then down through Chamonix to Doussard at the south end of Lake Annecy, a good stop for a few nights to ride the several passes in the area & take a day off on a bus into Annecy old town. Loadsa lovely places whichever way ya turn eh.

https://goo.gl/maps/7Ykvv1cSBptQ5JiYA

Fantastic trip, makes me want to just pack in work and fook off for a couple of months, might throw a sickie..  :189: :187:  I wish, never thrown a sickie in 40 years.. scared of tempting fate  :084: :114:

+1 On the visit to Annecy, we've stayed in that area many times. just up on the Col de Aravis, a place called La Cluzas.

Did this a few years back, considering doing it again next year;  https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/france/5462-route-des-grandes-alpes.html 

:031: windy

Offline Bodger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport/Street R
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
Col de Aravis. lovely bit of road,  preferred doing it from the Flumet side. Nice Route the Route De Grande Alpes, done it a couple of times. Col de Galibier must be my favourite pass on that road. Stayed in Megve a couple of times while over there at the Gai Soleil hotel (the chef is a biker) and its free to garage your bike (they do a fantastic steak tartare) as well.
Canna wait to get my ar@e back over there now. Looking forward to doing the routes around the gorge at Verdon.
The Grimsel pass, now that brings back a few memories, I have a mate who bides in Switzerland who has taken me over some fantastic routes and mountain passes there.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2019, 08:55:50 AM »
Some on that link I aint ridden, have to go back eh.
Me & missus spent years riding the passes for our hols, beats lounging on a beach any day.
Rode most of the high ones eg Bonnette, Stelvio, Timmelsjoch, Iseran, then the Petite & Grand St Bernard, Aravis, Mont Cenis, Fern, Sella, Gardena, Grimsel, Susten, Furka, etc, etc, etc.
I rode the Stelvio on me own, don't want do that one again, too tight & too busy with car clubs cutting corners.

Stelvio 2015

Bonnette 2008

'Iseran 2000'ish

Grimsel 2017

Missus would be hanging off taking pics of the hairpins ha
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Bodger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »

Aye Paul. I'm betting you recognise all these places as well.
Agree with you on the Stelvio, its like a bloody motorway, Tour busses and every other bloody thing you don't want to meet on a skinny road on hairpin bends
« Last Edit: 22 July, 2019, 09:35:45 AM by Bodger »

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
Aye m8, that D902 is a fantastic road, gets a tad nadgery in parts.

The French go & change their road numbers just to confuse us eg the N85 & N202 are now the D6085 & D6202. Maybe to make us buy new maps. A nice days circular up the 202 & back down the 85. Camped down there a few times for a cooling dip in the sea, St Aygulf & St Rapheal are ok, Frejus a tad too busy, for me.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Bodger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #15 on: 23 September, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »
A few pics from riding Route Napoleon. Thanks Paul for suggesting the Gorge at Verdon.

A rather unusual rock formation at Sisteron

Bike at the Gorges

Yorkshire Bloke trying to recover a 1 Euro coin he'd dropped

Offline pcarnut

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #16 on: 23 September, 2019, 10:44:24 PM »
Some great roads and pics.  Castellane is a favorite too.  Didn't get over this year, hoping for next.
2018 Tiger 1200
2014 TEx
2011 1050 SE
1984 R100S Last Edition

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #17 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:05:51 AM »
Always fun looking at the same photos that we have taken over the years our personal favourite is the Grand St Bernard first time over the top was 1978 and heaven knows how many time since but..... its possible to stay in the Hostel at the top we were advised the night would be difficult with the thin air and when settling in for the evening one June evening the guy behind the bar then told us theyd had 5cm of snow the night before!!!  we woke up with a storming headache(thin air) to find it was -8c 20 minutes after leaving it was 25c it was a crazy experience.