Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger's last Scottish adventure  (Read 422 times)

Offline chris1982

• Tiger Master
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Tiger's last Scottish adventure
« on: 14 July, 2019, 04:28:53 PM »
Six days touring Scotland were a mix of stunning scenery when the sun was shining and trudging through dreek Scottish rain.

The first day was great, driving up through the Scottish Borders for an overnight stay in Stirling, a nice city for a stop with good pubs for grub and beer. The second day started with driving rain, so it can only be described as a grim ride to Inverness for lunch but after that, the skies lightened enough for the ride along a fantastic A-road to Ullapool for fish, chips and a pint sat beside the loch while being watched by a greedy seagull. Day three was the opposite, a fabulous ride up the west coast to the far north, plenty of bikers doing the NC500 in both directions, then it chucked it down again while riding along a gravel strewn 'A'-road down the centre of the north back to civilisation, well, Inverness. day four started with a drizzly ride to Kyle of Lochalsh, where the sun came out just in time to ride around Skye, then to be able to sit outside the hotel in the evening and watch the sun set over Uig. Day five was finally the day we all hope for in Scotland, warm, dry and able to enjoy the scenery from Skye, across the Cairngorms to Perth for a final night in Scotland.

Day six started well, until I got to Edinburgh when the rain started again and followed me all the way to Newcastle. After lunch and once the rain stopped, I popped in the Triumph dealer in Newcastle for a look at new Gore-Tex gloves to replace my well worn pair. They had a new, unregistered Tiger 1200 XRX on a deal as it was the showroom stock bike, I'd had a test ride on one when my Sport was in for a service about six weeks ago and was very impressed. The dealer offered me a very fair price for my bike as a trade-in, so in a couple of weeks I will have a new blue Tiger 1200 to replace my Tiger Sport. It has been a great bike over the last three years and 19k miles and I would've kept it for a bit longer if I hadn't been given such a good deal for a new bike, so I guess I'll be adjourning to the Tiger 1200 forum and wish you all good adventures on your Tiger Sports!

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Tiger's last Scottish adventure
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:28:36 AM »
Good luck with the 1200, keep popping in to let us know how it's working for you.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline chris1982

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2019, 07:34:11 PM »
Cheers, I will do. I'd had a test ride on a BMW 1250GS too and while I thought that was a great bike as well, there was no way I could justify spending an extra 3.5-4k because the two bikes are much closer than that. Both Tigers do everything I need in a bike and they are great to ride, so what's not to like!

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:47:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by chris1982 [+]
Cheers, I will do. I'd had a test ride on a BMW 1250GS too and while I thought that was a great bike as well, there was no way I could justify spending an extra 3.5-4k because the two bikes are much closer than that. Both Tigers do everything I need in a bike and they are great to ride, so what's not to like!

It's not just the extra 3.5-4k that is the problem.

Keeping the BMW service departments in Champagne, is also a serious overhead to be considered  :183:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2019, 11:11:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by chris1982 [+]
Cheers, I will do. I'd had a test ride on a BMW 1250GS too and while I thought that was a great agricultural implement as well, there was no way I could justify spending an extra 3.5-4k ... Both Tigers do everything I need in a bike and they are great to ride, so what's not to like!
Fixed that for you.  :745:
Apologies to GS afficionados - couldn't resist   :010:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline chris1982

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2019, 07:38:31 PM »
 :745: If only the new 1250GS was still like a Massey Ferguson but that engine is at least a match for the triple. The last thing that made my mind up though was talking to both a 1250GS and a Tiger 1200 rider in Scotland, they were both from Yorkshire, one was friendly and chatty, the other seemed to think he was superior with a hint of IAM/police officer about him, I'll let you decide which one was which...

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2019, 07:56:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
It's not just the extra 3.5-4k that is the problem.

Keeping the BMW service departments in Champagne, is also a serious overhead to be considered  :183:

You say that, but the biggest service quote Ive ever had was for the TS, 6-700 for the 12k :005:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2019, 11:19:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
You say that, but the biggest service quote Ive ever had was for the TS, 6-700 for the 12k :005:
Dunno. Biggest service cost I had was for 1350!  :087:  and that was for a 1978 Boxer!

To be fair,. it turned out the main crankshaft oil seal was leaking, which doubled the cost of some major planned items.

Offline chris1982

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2019, 07:25:33 PM »
Triumph are certainly no cheaper than any of their European rival manufacturers for servicing. The 12k service cost me about 550 and another very good reason for selling the bike now was that the next service was going to be the 24k one which I didn't fancy paying for before selling the bike on. I suspect the 10k services on the Tiger 1200 will be in-between the 6 and 12k Sport services in terms of cost but in theory there should be less of them.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2019, 09:07:54 PM »
rode both 1250 GS and GSA, the new motor is for me way better than the earlier one smoother and way more flexible while it feels fairly tame it is deceptively quick,
warranty is now 3 years which is big step on rivals, pretty sure a lot will follow suit,
servicing altho still 6K is very (depending where you go, big shout out for Balderstons in Peterborough) reasonable mate has a 16 plate GSA now nearing 40k and has never paid more than 350 for a service unless it included tyres,
I've been going in there for years tested numerous GS's but never bought one and they are still as friendly as ever,
only problem is the usual wind noise which I am really having a problem with whatever I ride, hoping to try a T 1200 soon but down side is the weight and size,
anyway Chris stick around and post little reports with pics on how your getting on  :028: