Author Topic: Water pump life expectancy  (Read 4760 times)

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Re: Water pump life expectancy
Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2021, 09:06:39 PM
First look, give all the hoses a clamp tweak.  More than one has been loose, not to mention one or more I thought had the spring type clips.
Lastly, the hoses along with the pump seal are now into the hardness from age.
SO if you don't have loose clamps and to confirm fix or tracing, a powdered deodorant spray around all suspects will give a nice trail.  Fire the bike up, let the fan's go on. (might as well do a forced adaption. don't touch once started) Once you see the temp come down after fan starts shut it off.
Wait for the drip.

Good luck.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #11 on: 14 September, 2021, 12:56:59 PM
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
First look, give all the hoses a clamp tweak.  More than one has been loose, not to mention one or more I thought had the spring type clips.
Lastly, the hoses along with the pump seal are now into the hardness from age.
SO if you don't have loose clamps and to confirm fix or tracing, a powdered deodorant spray around all suspects will give a nice trail.  Fire the bike up, let the fan's go on. (might as well do a forced adaption. don't touch once started) Once you see the temp come down after fan starts shut it off.
Wait for the drip.

Good luck.

Yeah, I was hoping it to be a slightly loose hose clamp, especially since I had the hose off at the water pump to help drain the coolant less than a thousand miles ago. But with a mirror and a flash light I can see the coolant coming from the water pump weep hole. Right now it is a very slow occasional drip but will only get worse with time. Funny, after reading a thread about hoses, picked up a set of Samco's on ebay at a good price. Guess I'll put those on when the pump gets changed as well.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Online Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Reply #12 on: 14 September, 2021, 02:00:14 PM
damn these unreliable bikes...........its always something :015:

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #13 on: 14 September, 2021, 05:15:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Rhead [+]
damn these unreliable bikes...........its always something :015:
:0461:  :192: :008:
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #14 on: 15 September, 2021, 10:28:43 PM
Seems we have gained unrealistic expectations.  :033:

While true, it's a comparison thing.   Get a old bike, say a 1979 Honda CB750. Once you spend 5 times what the bike is worth on NOS 50 year old parts your idea of reliability will be modified. PROMISE.
OH, I can save you a lot of money. Have a 1979 CB750 for sale, asking 25 cents on the dollar. 
Support the forum.   :031:

reconstruction