Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Radiator Bleed Screw Sealing - Advice please  (Read 2836 times)

Offline rpr101

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: London
Radiator Bleed Screw Sealing - Advice please
« on: 11 July, 2019, 04:53:04 PM »
Hi,

A few months back I was 95% successful in doing a coolant flush. The 5% fail was a rookie error in over tightening the top bleed screw back into the radiator. It didn't take much but I stripped the thread. I thought I'd resolved it by putting a couple of small copper sealing washers onto the bleed screw and easing it tight.

No doubt due to the hotter weather, it's become obvious that the radiator is not sealed at the bleed screw. I've noticed a few splashes of white back along the RHS of the engine and on close inspection I can see that a small amount of coolant is leaking out of the bleed screw hole. It's not loosing enough coolant to be noticeable at the indicator marks on the expansion tank but I want to sort it out.

I'm not going to be taking it all off again and trying to re-tap the hole to accept a bigger screw, nor do I think helicoils are a good idea in the soft aluminium radiator.

A mate has suggested loctite'ing the screw into the hole. I understand that there are different colours and applications of loctite and even a tape version. I don't want to put it in so permanently that it rips out and cause further damage when I need to take it out for another flush.

Has anyone got any suggestions of a quick an easy fix or experience of a similar issue?

Thanks in advance

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Re: Radiator Bleed Screw Sealing - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2019, 05:25:49 PM »
Here is my quick and nasty take on this. The radiator develops significant pressure and undergoes similar expansion and contraction. The bleed screw is subject to all of that plus a tightening torque. If the threads are stripped, you are beyond Loctite being of use. You've already mentioned the correct fixes: New threads and a larger screw or a helicoil (which will enhance the thread's ability to accept a screw without stripping in the future). If you have a buddy with a lathe, you could have him turn you a stopper with a threaded shank to fit your stripped thread and a collar with a new female thread. Then epoxy this new device into the radiator with the original (or new) bleed screw... 

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »
Needs a proper fix, not a bodge. I'd tap it M7 & be done. Can it not be done in situ?
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2019, 12:44:59 AM »
 :0461:

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
I have always found that the Loctite solution, only works well, if the thread is a only partially stripped. If the screw turns, then it is  :172:.

I agree with the high pressure comment and would also recommend a re-tap  :169:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »
I would recommend a good permanent fix as outlined before.

Else if you want to try the bodge route maybe "liquid metal" like Permatex may work better than loctite
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
Don't bodge it. Take the time to re-tap as advised, even if it means draining it again. In the long term, it'll be the quickest, best fix.