Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tune ECU/ABS brakes  (Read 485 times)

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Tune ECU/ABS brakes
« on: 08 July, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
Has anyone successfully bled their brakes and ABS unit using Tune ECU on the current (2016+) TS?
I was wondering what the procedure is, and if it actually works?
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: Tune ECU/ABS brakes
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »
Yes.

Bleed brakes as normal. Then TuneECU has an option to bleed ABS. (Sorry this is from memory) if IIRC it then counts down till when it will open the solenoid.It only keeps the ABS system open for a limited time (shown on screen). This is what the workshop manual says about using the Triumph tool.

note

On pressing the Start button, the diagnostic software will send a command to the ABS ECM to open the 2nd circuit solenoid.
    The front brake lever travel will increase as ABS modulator solenoids are opened and will then decrease as the solenoids are automatically closed.
    Pressure must be applied to the front brake lever before operating the bleed sequence on the diagnostic tool. An assistant will be required to open the bleed nipple while pressure is applied to the brake lever.

Apply pressure to the rear brake pedal, press the Start button to activate the bleed sequence on the diagnostic tool, and with assistance, release the bleed nipple.
Slowly depress the brake pedal and, holding the pedal fully down, close the bleed nipple. Repeat until no more air appears in the bleed tube, maintaining the brake fluid level between the upper and lower reservoir levels whilst bleeding is being carried out.
The bleed sequence will run for a maximum of 90 seconds. Press the Stop button to end the bleed sequence at any time. Once the bleed sequence has completed the diagnostic tool will display a message ABS system bleed complete.

caution

The ABS modulator must be allowed to cool between bleeding operations. Always allow the ABS modulator to cool for 5 minutes before starting the bleed procedure again. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the ABS modulator.

Can't confirm or otherwise that I actually got clean fluid inside the ABS system - but I did get that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I had done it  :015:
« Last Edit: 08 July, 2019, 12:40:06 PM by seangee »
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
I did get that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I had done it  :015:

That's the main thing!
I'm scheduled this in for a Tiger servicing weekend in August... getting a bit busy as I also plan to change the C&S on the GSX14.
Many thanks!
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »
Tried bleeding the brakes with Tune ECU today, Tune ECU is a little short of info on what's happening, or what you're supposed to do.
Tune ECU goes into what appears to be a continuous loop of bleeding cycles of around 10 seconds each, with a 10 second pause. So I squeezed the lever and opened the nipple while the bleed cycle is working, but not sure what I've achieved.

One thing to watch out for is with the lid off the reservoir the initial squeeze of the lever sends a squirt of fluid from the reservoir, clear over the rags I'd wrapped around the reservoir, and landing on the lever pivot which then drips on to the tank.  :023:
Unfortunately I'd not noticed as I was focused on opening and closing the bleed nipple where the plastic pipe kept falling off and dropping fluid on the wheel etc...
So a right messy business!
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Gooza

• Tiger Member
  • Slow Poke
  • Bike/Model: White 2010 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2019, 01:09:00 AM »
I had no such issues with squirting fluid back out of the reservoir on my 2010 Tiger. Repeated the bleed operation at least 3 times on my Tiger with no issues besides almost draining the reservoir ;-)

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2019, 08:34:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gooza [+]
I had no such issues with squirting fluid back out of the reservoir on my 2010 Tiger.

If your 2010 Tiger is like my 2008 Sprint it will have a cylindrical, remote reservoir, so there's a piece of rubber pipe between the master cylinder and reservoir which stops the squirt.
On my 2017 TS the reservoir is part of the cylinder casting (the reservoir is rectangular), so you can see the piston moving past the hole at the bottom of the reservoir - and that's where the squirt of brake fluid comes from.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2