Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Blackbird Rear Shock  (Read 1257 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline af1-windy

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
  • Country: England
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2019, 02:29:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
What's your problem with the stock shock?

Nothing really, other than it's a a right old state.. I was thinking about a refurb, fresh coat of paint/powdercoat on the spring etc. And you know what it's like, one thing lead to another and I'm nearly buying an Ohlins Shock..  :005:  :008:

I'll get mine off at the weekend and see just how bad it is, I like things to look good, I don't mind bits looking used but the shock is looking very much abused and neglected.. :182:

Thank for all the replies chaps..  :028:

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5085
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #11 on: 04 July, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »
At 25K now I'm aware that my original shock is not as good as it could be. It's OK for solo rides into the city, but as P2B says when you're fully loaded it's probably startint to struggle. That said, I have no complaints about the handling - I did increase the preload by a click for my last trip, and I think that when it gets hot on longer trips it doesn't perform as well as when cold (on shorter trips).

The paintwork isn't too bad yet. It's not the cleanest bike in the world, but I tend to spray around there with GT85 in the winters a bit.

Online tiggersteve

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7761
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
  • Country: UK
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #12 on: 04 July, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »
There were a number of guys that got on the blackbird shock band wagon (many years ago now) and I believe all but one agreed it was too harsh,
maybe acceptable if you are err well built  :164: and ride two up and loaded otherwise 270 is a lot for a punt (imo) that's half way to a proper replacement

Offline af1-windy

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
  • Country: England
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #13 on: 05 July, 2019, 07:41:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
There were a number of guys that got on the blackbird shock band wagon (many years ago now) and I believe all but one agreed it was too harsh,
maybe acceptable if you are err well built  :164: and ride two up and loaded otherwise 270 is a lot for a punt (imo) that's half way to a proper replacement

Agree, I'm passed the BB idea, looking at Nitron..  :084:

Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7501
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #14 on: 05 July, 2019, 08:04:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]
Agree, I'm passed the BB idea, looking at Nitron..  :084:

Ha, sounds like you just want to treat yersen, take a holiday instead.

They are a bit exposed to crud, I do similar to Paullie with whatever is handy, eg Protect & shine, GT85, WD40, etc. Give it a squirt after a clean. Mine's coming up 21k miles now & 5 years old. Done a few big tours when it don't get cleaned for 2k or 3k miles until I'm home again.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline jasw

  • Tiger Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2015)
  • City / Town: East Lothian
  • Country: Scotland
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #15 on: 05 July, 2019, 08:25:32 AM »
Have a look at M-shocks search Mike capon at The Shock Factory. Built to your spec 350 delivered.
Had one fitted to my Rnine t excellent shock compared very well with Nitron sport i had on an Fz1s, same combined damping adjustment, all you need for road use.

Offline af1-windy

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
  • Country: England
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #16 on: 05 July, 2019, 09:35:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by jasw [+]
Have a look at M-shocks search Mike capon at The Shock Factory. Built to your spec 350 delivered.
Had one fitted to my Rnine t excellent shock compared very well with Nitron sport i had on an Fz1s, same combined damping adjustment, all you need for road use.

Cheers, emailed him..  :028:

Offline af1-windy

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 277
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
  • Country: England
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #17 on: 05 July, 2019, 09:42:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ha, sounds like you just want to treat yersen, take a holiday instead.

They are a bit exposed to crud, I do similar to Paullie with whatever is handy, eg Protect & shine, GT85, WD40, etc. Give it a squirt after a clean. Mine's coming up 21k miles now & 5 years old. Done a few big tours when it don't get cleaned for 2k or 3k miles until I'm home again.



I'll post pics of mine, you really need to see it to appreciate how shitty it is..  :010: :232:

Holidays all booked for this year. Wales with Missis, kids, dogs and my mum in a few weeks then a cruise in November for my 60th and her 50th..  :164:

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 5085
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #18 on: 05 July, 2019, 09:46:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]
I'll post pics of mine, you really need to see it to appreciate how shitty it is..  :010: :232:

Holidays all booked for this year. Wales with Missis, kids, dogs and my mum in a few weeks then a cruise in November for my 60th and her 50th..  :164:
Buy a Honda Monkeybike and ride it round the deck dodging the deckchairs .....  :001:

Offline Dusty ST

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 362
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Blackbird Rear Shock
« Reply #19 on: 05 July, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »
I bought a Nitron shock for the Sprint, absolutely fabulous piece of kit, biggest problem for me was coming to terms with putting it down where it would get covered in road muck, it's far too nice!
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2