Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Headlight Install - Back to the Future  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: LED Headlight Install - Back to the Future
« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2019, 01:32:41 PM »
 :0461: with both of you,  :152:
what you have achieved is a Win IMHO looking at the light pattern in the photo above, the only way you are going to top that is to fit the Sport headlight assembly but thats going to cost you maybe 10 times what you have spent  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Daveno55555

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Weston-super-Mare
« Reply #31 on: 25 August, 2019, 09:22:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by fjrod [+]
You are spot on, and a mind reader too. LOL   I got exactly what I was looking for when I started.  Better pattern and more light.  IMO, that high beam can't be "perfectly" fixed with some kind of easy plug in super halogen or LED.  BUT this fix, at least for me, wasn't meant to go desert racing.  I spent $1000 on lights for my GS and it was total over kill. 
For under $50 I got what I was looking for.  Not to mention I have a spare bulb for each lamp and two pairs of free H11's courtesy of Amazon screw ups.  Maybe I might tinker with aim points, but most likely not.  There is no doubt in my mind the LED's pass both a Cost Benefit Analysis and a Performance Benefit Analysis.

Could you give us an update on how the bulbs are doing. The first couple of latest reviews on Amazon for these bulbs say they burnt out fairly quickly, one set after only 3 weeks. Cheers

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
  • Bike/Model: 1050 SE ABS 2010
  • City / Town: Chesnee
« Reply #32 on: 26 August, 2019, 12:56:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Daveno55555 [+]
Could you give us an update on how the bulbs are doing. The first couple of latest reviews on Amazon for these bulbs say they burnt out fairly quickly, one set after only 3 weeks. Cheers
Well I put that white bike in a pasture field and it was totaled.  Put new LED's in my replacement 2011 SE ABS but haven't had a chance to put any miles on it.  Unless you buy the cheapest LED's out there you will get a 1 to 2 year replacement warranty.  Any reputable LED should outlast an incandescent or halogen by quite a bit. IMO you can get a "GOOD" set of LED's for well under $50 usd and have a spare set of bulbs as well.

Offline Daveno55555

• Tiger Member
« Reply #33 on: 26 August, 2019, 10:30:42 AM »
Well I put that white bike in a pasture field and it was totaled.  Put new LED's in my replacement 2011 SE ABS but haven't had a chance to put any miles on it.  Unless you buy the cheapest LED's out there you will get a 1 to 2 year replacement warranty.  Any reputable LED should outlast an incandescent or halogen by quite a bit. IMO you can get a "GOOD" set of LED's for well under $50 usd and have a spare set of bulbs as well.

Oh dear, hope you are okay now. Heat in a confined space seems to be a problem for these bulbs.  For me, like you, they must fit in existing cover. And yes I will have to just pull the trigger. Some other ones that have topped 2019 surveys are hard to get hold of for now.

Offline fjrod

• Tiger Master
  • Gettin' Old Sucks
  • Bike/Model: 1050 SE ABS 2010
  • City / Town: Chesnee
« Reply #34 on: 26 August, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Daveno55555 [+]
Oh dear, hope you are okay now. Heat in a confined space seems to be a problem for these bulbs.  For me, like you, they must fit in existing cover. And yes I will have to just pull the trigger. Some other ones that have topped 2019 surveys are hard to get hold of for now.
I'm OK, thanks.  The following are opinions.  I'm not an engineer but have been working with electronics and mechanical stuff for many years.
#1 Make sure the LED has a fan.
#2 Get the bulb with the shortest length from the base of the bulb where it fits into the reflector to the back of the fan.
#3 It has a warranty, minimum a year but more is better.  I dealt with Holoon on Amazon.  Amazon screwed up everything but Holoon bent over backwards to make things right.
#4 You don't have to use the same model bulb in both the high and low beam.  Since the Low is on all the time you could use a lower power bulb in it if you have heat issues.  I didn't do that and so far so good.

There is lots of space between the reflector and cover when the bulb is installed.  Stuff the ballast and plug between the reflector and the lamp housing.  That leaves a lot of room between the fan and the cover so air goes around the rear of the bulb and into the light housing. 

Last but not least, just do it.  It's not that expensive even if one burns out.  Also the install is easy once you commit to just doing it.  The difference in the amount of light is amazing.  IMO the best bang for the buck light upgrade you can do.

Offline Daveno55555

• Tiger Member
« Reply #35 on: 26 August, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
I'm OK, thanks.  The following are opinions.  I'm not an engineer but have been working with electronics and mechanical stuff for many years.
#1 Make sure the LED has a fan.
#2 Get the bulb with the shortest length from the base of the bulb where it fits into the reflector to the back of the fan.
#3 It has a warranty, minimum a year but more is better.  I dealt with Holoon on Amazon.  Amazon screwed up everything but Holoon bent over backwards to make things right.
#4 You don't have to use the same model bulb in both the high and low beam.  Since the Low is on all the time you could use a lower power bulb in it if you have heat issues.  I didn't do that and so far so good.

There is lots of space between the reflector and cover when the bulb is installed.  Stuff the ballast and plug between the reflector and the lamp housing.  That leaves a lot of room between the fan and the cover so air goes around the rear of the bulb and into the light housing. 

Last but not least, just do it.  It's not that expensive even if one burns out.  Also the install is easy once you commit to just doing it.  The difference in the amount of light is amazing.  IMO the best bang for the buck light upgrade you can do.

Thank you for your response

Offline Daveno55555

• Tiger Member
« Reply #36 on: 29 August, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »
So after too much consideration,  I decided to put in 5000k Philip's Diamond Vision H7s and 4750k Mtec 65w H9s for now. Photos dont do the change justice, but here you go. Bottom ones are the old ones.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #37 on: 29 August, 2019, 10:43:48 PM »
Looks good,  much brighter,  whiter light, should hopefully give you better night vision 😎👍
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.