Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering head bearings gone notchy  (Read 874 times)

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Steering head bearings gone notchy
« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2019, 08:40:34 AM »
« Last Edit: 25 June, 2019, 08:42:41 AM by Paul2bikes »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »
I have some recollection of there being quite some confusion around the headstock bearing setup on various triples around the time of the changeover from 955s to 1050s.

Late 955 S3s/Daytonas and early S3 1050s had a taper bearing as standard at the bottom. Curiously the part number listed is T3800091 which is definitely a roller bearing and is listed as the top and bottom bearing for Tiger 1050 Standard and Sport. This confirms what Mike_B and DaveH have said so I am mistaken. Sorry guys.

Offline DaveH

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Belper
« Reply #22 on: 25 June, 2019, 12:12:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ayup Dave, did ya find what was causing the wobble?
Yes Paul.
Spoke to a mate in the trade who had a new Yamaha come back  with exactly the same problem.. They tried all sorts to no avail and there was No play in head bearings.. They spoke to Yamaha UK who said to knock the headraces back 1/8 of a turn... That cured it so they were too tight from the factory.. Same problem on mine... undid em, torqued em back up as per spec & problem gone.
Symptoms were a very slight wobble... virtually undetectable with hands on the bars, but apparent hands off at low speed.. Nothing unsafe or owt, its just I knew it was there and had to sort it 👍
Tiger 1050 Sport :001:
Honda VFR800 VTEC :152:
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :037:

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #23 on: 25 June, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by DaveH [+]
Yes Paul.
Spoke to a mate in the trade who had a new Yamaha come back  with exactly the same problem.. They tried all sorts to no avail and there was No play in head bearings.. They spoke to Yamaha UK who said to knock the headraces back 1/8 of a turn... That cured it so they were too tight from the factory.. Same problem on mine... undid em, torqued em back up as per spec & problem gone.
Symptoms were a very slight wobble... virtually undetectable with hands on the bars, but apparent hands off at low speed.. Nothing unsafe or owt, its just I knew it was there and had to sort it 👍

Wouldn't think that could happen with tools set as we saw them, all calibrated.
Muddy sump did mine I watched him torque it up. Now I know this earth aint proper but I wired me sat-nav up to the horn inc earth to mounting bolt. When the front gets light the sat-nav loses power. Wouldn't think that when it's been torqued so tight eh. I'll earth it proper when I get round to it.

Set me Yam traillie headstock by feel, just nipped it up until no play pulling on forks, that was 5 years ago, still fine.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #24 on: 25 June, 2019, 11:00:20 PM »
Well just got a quote of 95 to replace them with new taper-roller bearings and dust seals, and by a Triumph-trained mechanic, so I think I'm going to go with that. Able to do quickly and very reasonable price too - this is for Coyo bearings (apparently the OEM maker as used by Triumph and many Jap brands), so as good as anything I guess.

Will report back afterwards. Though probably it'll all be fine and I won't know if it's a better solution until I've done another 24k! I'm hoping this will also solve the little bit of low-speed instability I've noticed. But will definitely keep an eye on them from now on.

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2019, 12:56:55 AM »
95 is an astonishingly reasonable price to supply and fit new taper roller bearings top and bottom. This means pulling the whole front end, drifting out the ball races, pressing in the new taper races etc etc. I'm usually aghast at prices people say they get quoted for work on their bikes. 

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2019, 05:35:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
95 is an astonishingly reasonable price to supply and fit new taper roller bearings top and bottom. This means pulling the whole front end, drifting out the ball races, pressing in the new taper races etc etc. I'm usually aghast at prices people say they get quoted for work on their bikes.

I agree, 10 years ago I got charged 200 for the same on a 955 Tiger, but that was a main dealer and I can remember thinking at the time it wasnt bad :015:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #27 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:40:53 AM »
Bargain price.
If the kit costs 25 as link above, leaving 70 for labour. How many hours work is it? Two? A freelance guy working from home aint got the overheads.

A triumph dealer charging 70/hour + oem trumpet parts = 200'ish.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #28 on: 27 June, 2019, 11:25:18 AM »
Chap told me an hour and a quarter to do, and no need to remove any plastics. But he's a new startup and probably keen to build a reputation - I'm certainly not going to complain. I know he's got the knowledge, and maybe the special tools as well. And if he does a good job, I'm happy to shout about it.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #29 on: 27 June, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Chap told me an hour and a quarter to do, and no need to remove any plastics. But he's a new startup and probably keen to build a reputation - I'm certainly not going to complain. I know he's got the knowledge, and maybe the special tools as well. And if he does a good job, I'm happy to shout about it.
Let us know how this works out, especially if he's in the UK. Happy to take recommendations for decent independents for those jobs I can't / won't take on myself  :031:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.