Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Prescott Hill Climb  (Read 678 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Prescott Hill Climb
« on: 19 June, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »
Spent last weekend at Prescott Bike Fest, or Prescott Hill Climb for bikes. Site is owned by the Bugatti Owners Club and in a beautiful location at the western edge of the Cotswolds. We camped the Saturday night and walked the course at sunset - not an ideal course for bikes, hairpins, blind bends and poor runoff protection for riders. But counter that with great location, excellent surface and the fact that the whole event was run by the Severn Freewheelers, who organise the Blood Bikes charity for the Severn area. All takings go to support this charity.

For those not in the know, Blood Bikes is a charity with volunteer riders who deliver blood and plasma between hospitals for the NHS. Operating 24 hours, they can get through the traffic and are cheaper than a helicopter. Volunteers have to be advanced riders and are examined by police riders before they are accepted. Then you put your name down to be on call so many days per year. It's quite a commitment!  :123:  Definitely a very worthy cause and a way of supporting your local hospitals.

Anyway, mate and I had a great time (if being rather knackered by the camping). Sunday (race day) was beset by occasional showers, which made the track somewhat greasy at times. I saw some very rare vehicles doing the run, everything from tuned-up Honda 50 mopeds to Joey Dunlop TT Honda replica, to a bike powered by a jet (helicopter) engine! The last was a real crowd puller every time he started up, but was pretty unspectacular on the course - basically the announcer said because he had so much power he couldn't really use it.

It was basically a 'run what you brung' kind of event - so just for fun. I saw one TS make the run but didn't see a time. I didn't want to risk my TS on the course, but thought I'd sign up for the experience as passenger in a racing sidecar outfit. Unfotunately pulled a shoulder muscle the night before, so wouldn't have been able to hang on in the sidecar as you have to.

So I put down for a ride in a Morgan 3-wheeler instead. A good choice, because this thing racketed up the course at a rate of knots I couldn't have considered, and driver slid the rear wheel round the bends. I didn't know, but these are now being made again - Harley 1200 V-twin engine up front mated to a Mazda MX5 gearbox, and the exhaust coming out just below my left ear! I got out at the finish grinning from ear to ear.  :001: I want one myself now.

« Last Edit: 19 June, 2019, 12:56:21 PM by Paullie »

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
Re: Prescott Hill Climb
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2019, 12:50:24 PM »
More pics:

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2019, 01:33:08 PM »
Great photos Paullie  :028:
see what you mean about the Morgan 3 wheeler exhaust !
 is that 1 of those Canam bikes in the last photo?
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2019, 02:34:37 PM »
Nice one, I was meant to be going and then family issue got in the way, cheers for posting :028:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online Rozzer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Silver 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Bude
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2019, 05:28:34 PM »

Nice pics,,haven't been to a hillclimb since I had to give up marshalling.

As for the Morgan 3 Wheeler,just to make you want one even more,it's actually powered by an S&S 2litre V twin,and yes I would like one too !

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2019, 11:44:51 PM »
Yep, that last pic is of a Canam. Thanks also for the correction on Morgan engine - I did find out myself, but boy, don't those 1 litre cyliinders shake things about! 

Also found out the price - 40k plus! As the owner said, it's the most expensive 3-wheeler you can buy to go do the shopping with ......  :002:
« Last Edit: 19 June, 2019, 11:54:09 PM by Paullie »

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2019, 12:40:08 AM »
 :047:  Love the pictures.

No one said you had to ride the course fast.  Make it a Sunday jaunt. 

Thanks.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »
Great pics! Thanks.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline cj123287

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Whangarei
« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »
 :031: looks like a good day out  :460:
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?

Vincent Van Gogh

Offline mal97

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 tiger sport
  • City / Town: Yeovil Somerset
« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »
Nice, I go reasonably often as two of my friends are members,