Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Voltage/USB charger issue  (Read 323 times)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Voltage/USB charger issue
« on: 14 June, 2019, 01:50:19 PM »
I bought one of these rascals, see link, like it shows in the pic, plug it in & it says 12.3V, check it with me old Multimeter and get 12.68v, check that with me new Lidl Multimeter & I get 12.87v. That's on me TS, the other two showing similar. I rec'n me old m/m is likely most accurate of them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Dual-USB-Charger-Adapter-DIN-Plug-Socket-for-BMW-Hella-Motorcycle-Waterproof/302984258970?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=601919182537&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Not much use if it's that far out eh.
All me batteries are looking good if I check with the Lidl m/m, especially seeing as none have been run or charged for near 4 weeks, I've been on me hols getting some of that Italian sunshine. Ha.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Voltage/USB charger issue
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2019, 02:06:04 PM »
Where are you taking the multi meter readings?  At the socket or direct to battery?
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2019, 02:15:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Where are you taking the multi meter readings?  At the socket or direct to battery?

At the optimate tail on me Tigers.

On me Yam Serow I have a socket fitted that I plug an optimate tail connection into, similar readings for that one, I did wonder if it'd make a difference but it didn't.

One of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TM95-OptiMate-AccuMate-DIN-Plug-Lead/121557567699?epid=4011480199&hash=item1c4d6548d3:g:RNEAAOSw8d9Uy5vQ

Leonardo da Vinci

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2019, 05:50:39 PM »
What I was getting at was that the voltage at the DIN plug is always a bit lower in my experience from going through the loom
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2019, 06:07:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
What I was getting at was that the voltage at the DIN plug is always a bit lower in my experience from going through the loom

Aye m8, I was with ya on that, that's why I checked on me Serow din socket/plug to optimate lead. Nae difference, I thought there might have been also.

Anybody else bought one of these gadgets & seen a very low reading?
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2019, 10:46:23 PM »
Hey Paul, welcome back to the land of sunshine  :008:

I use a permanently wired in 12v to USB converter hidden the wiring - just has a standard mini-USB tail for whatever. However I've wondered about power consumption and any voltage drop from these cheap Chinese power converters. You may find that it's the converter itself that is causing the voltage drop!

I haven't tested this, but as I say, I've wondered .....

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2019, 07:28:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Hey Paul, welcome back to the land of sunshine  :008:

I use a permanently wired in 12v to USB converter hidden the wiring - just has a standard mini-USB tail for whatever. However I've wondered about power consumption and any voltage drop from these cheap Chinese power converters. You may find that it's the converter itself that is causing the voltage drop!

I haven't tested this, but as I say, I've wondered .....

:0461: It would appear that way, or its just inaccurate eh. Either way it's useless as a guide to battery voltage.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TimboLeMatelot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Worthing
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2019, 06:33:28 AM »
It will be be voltage drop across the regulator dropping the voltage to 5v from 12v and the small load created by the internal circuitry driving the display. They'll be made cheap as chips!

Save yer money

Bw

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2019, 07:11:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by TimboLeMatelot [+]
It will be be voltage drop across the regulator dropping the voltage to 5v from 12v and the small load created by the internal circuitry driving the display. They'll be made cheap as chips!

Save yer money

Bw

Thanks Tim, that makes sense some, but I would have thought it should measure the input at 12.7'ish, before it converts to the 5v output. Not much use as a guide to battery/charging condition is it.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »
Have any of you tested your car battery voltage?

I'm always checking the volts on my 3 on the road bikes, with multimeter, they are usually around 12.7v, much less & I pop them on the optimate overnight.

Never bother with my cars 'cos car batteries seem to last forever, at least 10 years in my experience. Now, I checked my daughters 3 year old battery at 12.3v on her Suzuki Swift. Then my 2 year old battery at 12.09v on my Focus. This was done direct onto the battery with Multimeter. I know mine is fully charged having just driven it 800 miles. Also the stop/start thingy doesn't work unless the battery is fully charged.

Is this normal for car batteries to show so low? I'd have thought it'd be same as the bikes.
Leonardo da Vinci