Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nice Little Ride  (Read 1162 times)

Offline mal97

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 tiger sport
  • City / Town: Yeovil Somerset
Nice Little Ride
« on: 12 June, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »
So last week we went for a little jaunt and did about 900 miles. Excuse the spellings but set of for Ghent in Belgium for an overnight stop. Had a nice evening meal out in the city. Next day off down to Utrecht for five days city break. very nice city and whilst there took a train to Amersfoort for the day and another to Nijmegen for the day, both well worth a visit. Then a final day and night at Dunkerque on the anniversary of the D day celebrations. The bike was great apart from the comfort of the seat and as the Triumph gel seat gets mixed reviews I am going to buy a spare seat and have it modified.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: Nice Little Ride
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2019, 11:39:41 PM »
Sounds like a great trip mal, did you get any photos?
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2019, 02:07:03 PM »
Nice trip Mal, you were lucky, I came through Belgium on Wednesday but we were in car, bucketing down all the way from Colmar through the Alsace chilly 8c at 9.30am, Lux & Belgium, wipers on full with nose to the screen. Felt sorry for the bikers at Zeebrugge port, like drowned rats all. Done that trip for the past 20'odd years & never seen it that bad.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »
Funny, same journey (Brussels - Calais) on Thursday, dry but riding against really strong headwind, some gusts causing me to tuck in behind screen to stop bike moving around so much. Cross the channel, and rain started on the M25 round London.

Interestingly, filled up in Brussels with RON 95 (Lukoil) before leaving, and the average mpg by Calais was showing 44. 3 mpg. Filled up again at Dover with RON 97 (BP), and by London average mpg was showing 54 mpg! I know these figures are not always accurate, but that's quite a difference!

Offline teef.au

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2012
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2019, 05:43:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Interestingly, filled up in Brussels with RON 95 (Lukoil) before leaving, and the average mpg by Calais was showing 44. 3 mpg. Filled up again at Dover with RON 97 (BP), and by London average mpg was showing 54 mpg! I know these figures are not always accurate, but that's quite a difference!

Pushing the wind might have had something to do with it perhaps?
2012 Tiger 1050SE
2013 Trophy SE

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2019, 07:26:24 AM »
Funny, same journey (Brussels - Calais) on Thursday, dry but riding against really strong headwind, some gusts causing me to tuck in behind screen to stop bike moving around so much. Cross the channel, and rain started on the M25 round London.

There couldn't have been any rain left above Belgium after Wednesdays deluge.

Fuel economy in a headwind with the aerodynamics of a pig on stilts is bad eh. Ethanol content of 10% in many fuel stops over there don't help economy. I always fill up in Lux, Belgium fuel is one of the most expensive in Europe. I was surprised to find fuel in Italy no dearer than France/Germany this year at around 1.54 euro/L. Twer 1.05e at our Lux M'way stop but for the e10, I took the 98 e5 at 1.25e. Still a lot cheaper than elsewhere.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Fuel economy in a headwind with the aerodynamics of a pig on stilts is bad eh. Ethanol content of 10% in many fuel stops over there don't help economy. I always fill up in Lux, Belgium fuel is one of the most expensive in Europe. I was surprised to find fuel in Italy no dearer than France/Germany this year at around 1.54 euro/L. Twer 1.05e at our Lux M'way stop but for the e10, I took the 98 e5 at 1.25e. Still a lot cheaper than elsewhere.
Indeed. It makes you ponder if this EU insistence on adding ethanol to fuel, supposedly to cut down burning of fossil fuels, is actually making air pollution worse by causing engines to burn fuel less efficiently! There's a project worth researching - wonder if it will gain any European financing?  :015:

I often wonder if such measures are really about trying to improve EU finances overall, reducing imports of expensive fuel oil and creating a market for European biofuels! Not a bad idea in itself, but NBG if it causes higher levels of air pollution for people.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »
Indeed. It makes you ponder if this EU insistence on adding ethanol to fuel, supposedly to cut down burning of fossil fuels, is actually making air pollution worse by causing engines to burn fuel less efficiently! There's a project worth researching - wonder if it will gain any European financing?  :015:

I often wonder if such measures are really about trying to improve EU finances overall, reducing imports of expensive fuel oil and creating a market for European biofuels! Not a bad idea in itself, but NBG if it causes higher levels of air pollution for people.

Aye m8, some years ago when I updated my work car for similar 1.8 petrol engine Ford, the new one did 35mpg as against the old one doing 40mpg. I went back to Ford dealer with this, they said "nothing wrong with it, it takes more fuel to get the emissions down on the later model". Ha like treading in a cow pat innit.

Leonardo da Vinci

Offline mal97

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 tiger sport
  • City / Town: Yeovil Somerset
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2019, 07:53:19 PM »
I did get a load of phots's but im crap at getting them into my posts, I can see myself changing my photo storage system. We were really lucky with the weather didn't get any rain at all, couldn't believe it as our leader usually has his own personal black rain cloud. :001:

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2019, 08:12:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by mal97 [+]
I did get a load of phots's but im crap at getting them into my posts, I can see myself changing my photo storage system. We were really lucky with the weather didn't get any rain at all, couldn't believe it as our leader usually has his own personal black rain cloud. :001:

You can store them on the forum or use Imgur is what I do.
Leonardo da Vinci