Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suspension Upgrade for The Tiger Sport  (Read 1000 times)

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
Suspension Upgrade for The Tiger Sport
« on: 12 June, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »

After 40,000km of mostly twisty & bumpy backroads I an now convinced the std suspension is more interested in causing me pain than getting me down the road.

Seriously looking at options but favoring going to a Nitron R2 on the back as there is a NZ agent for Nitron that really knows his stuff and loves the product.

So the question is what to do with the front end?

Any thoughts or advice from those that have a non-std Sport front end would help greatly.
I'm not trying to set it up for the racetrack, my biggest plus would be a more plush and comfortable ride while retaining or improving feel & control.
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand, Ventura rear rack.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
Re: Suspension Upgrade for The Tiger Sport
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
Liam Ventner @ http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/ . He's pretty good and knows his stuff. I have his number, if you need it?
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »
I know many have fiddled with spring rates and oil weights but the single biggest weakness on these bikes is the damping, or more accurately the lack thereof. I went with the Matris RK fork kit, which includes valves, springs (you specify the weight) and oil.

In the event they sent the wrong springs so I put back my Wilbers progressives. Amazingly these are actually too firm with proper damping so I will put the OE springs back the next time I open the forks up (and I am north of 100kgs  :001:). Bike is lovely and comfortable but fairly firm. That's not a contradiction when everything is doing what its supposed to. Reason I say the springs  are too firm is with zero pre-load I am not getting the full benefit of the long travel forks
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2019, 08:05:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
I know many have fiddled with spring rates and oil weights but the single biggest weakness on these bikes is the damping, or more accurately the lack thereof. I went with the Matris RK fork kit, which includes valves, springs (you specify the weight) and oil.

In the event they sent the wrong springs so I put back my Wilbers progressives. Amazingly these are actually too firm with proper damping so I will put the OE springs back the next time I open the forks up (and I am north of 100kgs  :001:). Bike is lovely and comfortable but fairly firm. That's not a contradiction when everything is doing what its supposed to. Reason I say the springs  are too firm is with zero pre-load I am not getting the full benefit of the long travel forks

That's interesting information Sean. I spent a few weeks tweaking the OEM rear spring adjuster knob, during and after every ride. Took me about 2 weeks, from 'too soft 'too hard' to 'just right'. I just don't now want to touch it again  :110:

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2019, 08:59:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
That's interesting information Sean. I spent a few weeks tweaking the OEM rear spring adjuster knob, during and after every ride. Took me about 2 weeks, from 'too soft 'too hard' to 'just right'. I just don't now want to touch it again  :110:
The rear setup was pretty decent for solo riding. But by the time I got to around 12k the shock was done and I put a Wilbers in. Did the front springs at the same time using the oil and air gap Wilbers recommended. It was a definite improvement for normal riding. Then I got a job in the City. On those delightful things TFL chooses to call roads I had to choose between rock hard and pogo stick. There was nothing in between and it was only the final 1/4 turn of the damping adjusters that made any difference.

Now the front and back move at the same rate, I no longer feel every bump or pothole and the bike doesn't dive under braking (or squat under acceleration). I also don't feel every ridge or white line - even on pretty worn tyres. Never thought the bike was awful when new - but if I had to buy another one the fork rebuild may very well be my first mod.

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2019, 10:00:53 PM »
Looking on the Matris web site and the FRK kit looks like it would be a good investment.
Unfortunately no dealer in NZ which means importing from somewhere and getting stung by customs.
I assume Seangee you got yours from Bike Torque Racing? I see they are the only UK dealer.
It looks like they don't deliver abroad as no shipping options.
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand, Ventura rear rack.

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
Liam Ventner @ http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/ . He's pretty good and knows his stuff. I have his number, if you need it?

I checked out the Fastbikegear site and nothing for a Tiger but might have a chat to him today.
I've already had the setup tweaked by a pro and now just want some quality parts in there.
The shocks have definitely got worse since then but i'm also suffering more with my neck and shoulders so a more compliant ride would be a great relief.
As you know its a big expense and not easy to get the parts here in NZ.
So I really want to go down the same path as someone that's already had success with a Tiger Sport thus avoiding any experimental setups.

« Last Edit: 12 June, 2019, 10:44:56 PM by jkd102 »

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkd102 [+]
Looking on the Matris web site and the FRK kit looks like it would be a good investment.
Unfortunately no dealer in NZ which means importing from somewhere and getting stung by customs.
I assume Seangee you got yours from Bike Torque Racing? I see they are the only UK dealer.
It looks like they don't deliver abroad as no shipping options.
I actually did it all through PDQ as they did the install. They did order from Bike Torque but it cost me the same. Happy to let the guys actually doing the work to make a bigger margin.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2019, 12:30:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by jkd102 [+]
I checked out the Fastbikegear site and nothing for a Tiger but might have a chat to him today.
I've already had the setup tweaked by a pro and now just want some quality parts in there.
The shocks have definitely got worse since then but i'm also suffering more with my neck and shoulders so a more compliant ride would be a great relief.
As you know its a big expense and not easy to get the parts here in NZ.
So I really want to go down the same path as someone that's already had success with a Tiger Sport thus avoiding any experimental setups.

So I found Liam really good, as he has access to all kinds of hardware.

However, if you really want to zero risk and guaranteed solution, Robert Taylor is your man. Not cheap, but  everyone says the results are worth the money  :028:

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »
So I found Liam really good, as he has access to all kinds of hardware.

However, if you really want to zero risk and guaranteed solution, Robert Taylor is your man. Not cheap, but  everyone says the results are worth the money  :028:

Already have talked & corresponded with Mr Taylor, his recommendation is Nitron R2 on rear and in house re-valved fork internals.
I found him very good to deal with when I did my 08 Tiger 1050.
Not cheap but well proven results with quality hardware & probably the way I'll go at this stage.