Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch actuator switch  (Read 1206 times)

Offline moodytico

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Washington
  • City / Town: East Wenatchee
Clutch actuator switch
« on: 11 June, 2019, 06:01:08 AM »
After I added new clutch springs to my
2009 and put it back together the bike wouldn't start.  I finally traced it to a faulty clutch actuator switch.  I took it apart and cleaned it and lubricated it and still wouldn't work.  So I just decided to clip the plunger and voila!  Bike starts like normal....only thing is I have to remember to always have the clutch in while starting in gear or bad things will happen.  Now my fuel gauge will not read full bars.  I read on the Triumphrat that the fuel gauge receives a signal though the ECU from the actuator switch...can anyone verify this?  If I have to get a new actuator switch to.get my fuel gauge to work then I guess that's what I have to do.  Anyone ever had to replace one?

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Clutch actuator switch
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2019, 07:51:11 AM »
Yep, this has come up before, the clutch switch actually does quite a bit in the background. On the 1050 I believe it only comes as part of the L/H switch cube assembly, but somebody found that the switch from earlier 955 Tigers is the same, you just have to splice it into the wiring yourself
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
I remember researching this when I had problems. Turns out there is a sticky about it too.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,23467.0.html

The ECU uses that signal for a lot of voodoo, not just the starting interlock, so bypassing it is not a good idea. And number 2 on the list seems to align with your experience.

Offline moodytico

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:57:18 PM »
Wow....I just got schooled.  And to think I just thought that actuator switch just kept you from accidently starting the bike in gear.  There is a part number for the switch but it looks like 2006 is the last year for the Tiger.  Don't really want to order the whole assembly:(

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline moodytico

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
Thanks!  I really appreciate it :028:

Offline moodytico

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2019, 05:53:34 AM »
Ok Tiger gurus I am at a loss for what is going on with my bike.  I ordered the new clutch actuator switch and got it today.  I spliced it in to the harness matched up the wires (black on black and black/yellow to same).  Plugged it in and nothing.   Started does not engage with clutch pulled in.  The only way bike will start is unplug the actuator.  Can the contact inside become corroded?  Brand new switch so I doubt it is sticking.  I can ride the bike without it but sucks on long trips not have gas gauge.  Any ideas?

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
Did you test the function of the switch before fitting ie plunger out contact made, plunger pushed in contact open?  With the switch wired in but left dangling (not in it's housing) does the bike start?
If it works ok not physical installed but doesn't work after you put it in place is something blocking the plunger from coming out?

Offline moodytico

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2019, 02:27:41 PM »
Yes bike starts when switch is wired and left dangling.  Plunger moves in and out freely.  Only when plug switch is in the housing bike will not start.  I can only assume contact inside the housing is bad.  I will try to clean inside and see what happens.  This what the bike did before I ordered new switch although the old plunger didn't move as freely.

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
If you manually hold the plunger in you get no start, right?

Do you have standard clutch lever?  It sounds like something is physically stopping the plunger from extending to the point where it's electrical contacts are made.
« Last Edit: 22 June, 2019, 05:45:14 PM by Sidewinder »