Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED headlight upgrade solution for Tiger 1050  (Read 536 times)

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Re: LED headlight upgrade solution for Tiger 1050
« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Javaman [+]
My 2008 bog standard Tiger 1050 must have a relay from the get go because when I engage the starter, the headlights go out completely and so I 'm a little confused by the comments about drawing more current when starting the engine??? 

That's standard, there's a relay (called something like switch over, or change over relay) that switches power from the lights to activate the starter solenoid.
I'm not sure about the comments about drawing more current, as you say the lights are off when the starter is activated...
The OEM delay relay is to prevent the HiDs going through a double strike to light them up (they come on with ign, then off when you thumb the starter button,
and on again when you release the button), some reckon it reduces the life of the HID, but on my Sprint they've been fine for the last 25k+ miles.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Javaman

• Tiger Pro
  • Why Do Today What Will Wait Until Tomorrow?
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Sleaford
« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
there is an installation guide for Bi-Xenons in the stickies with photos which may help Javaman.
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,30838.0.html
Good luck & keep us posted of the results  :031:

Thanks Tigermike . . . that is one of many posts that I've read through and looking at the mess he make of his headlamp shell, the main reason I am dreading splitting the unit. His was quite clearly sealed using permaseal, which is what all the debris is lying all over the worksurface.  It seems some folks split these things quite easily and others have all sorts of problems.
I am still waiting for my kit to arrive but in the meantime, scraped some surplus sealant off the outside of my headlamp in situ and it is definitely silicone - very soft and rubbery!!  On the one hand, it won't soften with heat but on the other, should offer far less resistance to being cut and so I will just have to see how I get on. I haven't given up on the idea of trying heat because although silicone won't itself soften, it is always possible that it will lose its "grip" on the plastic shell and perhaps let go more easily - ho hum . . . .  I will make a start when the kit arrives

Offline Fourbears

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Norwich
« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2019, 01:05:46 PM »
If it is silicone then something like a scalpel will cut through it as they are a bit flexible unlike a craft knife blade.  I'm still thinking Tiger Sport headlamp is the way to go for me.  Let us know how you get on!