Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ECU packed it in... at the dealership.  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: New Westminster, BC
Re: ECU packed it in... at the dealership.
« Reply #20 on: 25 June, 2019, 04:50:32 AM »
Well, Jeff, that is really good advice... I will look into it.  Thanks! 

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #21 on: 25 June, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hanta Yo [+]
TCC: They likely chucked it, and they are closed tomorrow / Mondays BUT... I will call them on Tuesday and will be going in there when the bulbs arrive so if they have it,  I will let you know and we can arrange something.  Cheers, mate!* 

Don't forget to let me know if the ECU is still around.

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #22 on: 25 June, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »
TCC - I did call late last week and spoke to one of the guys in Service who said he'd get the Service Manger to call me back...  which has not happened yet. 

I reckon I'll be getting a call today re the arrival of my headlight bulbs  (Monday, they are closed... Tuesday is Parts receiving day). 

I have not forgotten you, mate... just a tad busy with the end of the school year... reports and such.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #23 on: 25 June, 2019, 11:04:27 PM »
Just give em all bad marks to prove how grumpy you are .... :001: :001:  With a bit of luck one might be the son of the dealer!

Offline JX1050

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: '14 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #24 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:04:46 AM »
Possibility does exist that a booster pack was connected back to front on the  battery (+to- and vice versa), with ignition on, frying the ecu. Reverse connection even for a split second will cause damage. Seen this before. Could also explain the blown headlamp/fuse/relay at the same time, if stator windings or regulator also got fried.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Offline JX1050

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: '14 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Pretoria
« Reply #25 on: 26 June, 2019, 07:08:30 AM »
As for the original issue regarding the stall, it could be a dragging clutch or even a low idle speed that could cause that at a stop, selecting 1st gear.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #26 on: 26 June, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
JX 1050... Unlikely that I would get the dealership to admit to incorrectly hooking up a booster pack if that is what happened, but I will ask the other shop I go to about the dragging clutch, etc. 

I went to the dealer this time mostly because they have the wherewithal to make sure and/or install the correct tune... It ended up costing me a lot more than I had bargained for, but at least I got what I came for in the end. 

My independent bike shop told me straight up that they are not equipped to do that kind of thing, but they are excellent (and reasonably priced) at everything else.  It is also the place where I get most of my riding gear as they regularly offer great discounts, especially on NOS items.  And their top mechanic beats the pants off of everyone else at the local race track... in fact, he was the person who first asked me about suspension sag, and then proceeded to make sure my bike was set up correctly for my weight*.  With the 150 cc bikes (and a speed limit of 35 kph everywhere) we are limited to back home in Bermuda, sag is not even an after thought.  But the dealership here in BC have never even mentioned it.

* He is average height, whereas I am 188cm / 6' 2"...he refers to my bike "the behemoth", which makes me smile every time he says it.

So now I have the correct sag settings, the correct tune for my TOR Triumph aftermarket exhaust, and a lighter wallet.  Two outta three, ain't bad.  Shucks... MY philosophy is: Money is only as good as what it will get you.  On the other hand, my Father used to say, "Money isn't everything... but it's way ahead of whatever the hell's in second place!"   Cheers.

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #27 on: 06 July, 2019, 11:49:47 PM »
Dear Jeff and TCC

Jeff:  Went in to get my new bulbs installed and found out that the used ECU was not allowing current to go to the relay to turn on the lights AFTER the engine was running, so the mechanic bypassed the relay which means my headlight comes on now as soon as the key is turned. 

I will have them install the second used ECU I bought on the next service to see if the system can be returned to the way it is supposed to be.  I ride in everything but ice, so I don't want the bike to fail to start if I am trying to ride it home after work on a cold day, you know?  BUT, I did ask about the regulator as you suggested and apparently it and the stator ARE working properly.

And TCC:  Good news for you... they kept the original ECU for me, and I now have it at home.  What would you like to do?

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #28 on: 07 July, 2019, 12:35:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hanta Yo [+]
Dear Jeff and TCC

Jeff:  Went in to get my new bulbs installed and found out that the used ECU was not allowing current to go to the relay to turn on the lights AFTER the engine was running, so the mechanic bypassed the relay which means my headlight comes on now as soon as the key is turned. 

Interesting, on the MK1 Tigers, I thought the headlight cut out when the start button is pressed was done at the start relay. Looks like it has a normally closed contact (headlight) and a normally open contact (start solenoid).  When the start button is pressed the coil pulls in sending power to the solenoid and breaking power to the headlights. That's why the headlight comes on when the key is turned to the on position with the motor off. On later models, the headlights remain off even with the ignition switch on until the motor is running. My '14  Street triple works this way, think this one is ECU controlled.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #29 on: 07 July, 2019, 02:48:43 AM »
Hanta Yo, you have pm.